What's new

Salem's Lot Movie (1 Viewer)

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Saw it yesterday and thought about picking it up.. Haven't seen it, but I love the novel, and have read it countless times.

Can anybody who has read the book and seen the movie tell me if it's worth it? Or will it just ruin the book for me?

The vampire looks pretty cheesy.. But how is the rest? Acting, production values, script, etc?

Thanks!!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hi Doug. Hmmm - how to put this? Not one of the worst SK video adaptations but not one of the best either.

Plus side is a solid cast with David Soul, Bonnie Bedelia, Lew Ayres, and James Mason.

The negative side is that the story has had it's teeth removed and is not really the scary. Remember it premiered back in 1979 and network TV was much stricter back then.

The head vampire comes off quite well I thought. His confrontation with the priest is probably the highlight of the miniseries.

It's a mixed bag but some moments from the novel do stand out. As a big King fan it's one of the few TV DVDs I have picked up. I like it better than the TV adaptation of IT. The Stand still reigns supreme as far as King TV miniseries go.

Bottom line, keep your expectations low and you should enjoy it. There are a few nuggets sprinkled throughout that make it worth watching to me.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Interesting.. I didn't know it was a TV movie.. That changes everything..

I, for example, thought the It movie was awesome. But it's one of the only S.K. books I haven't read.

And I HATED The Stand.. Well, I hated the syrupy ending, anyways. Haven't read that book, either.

My favorite movie/tv adaptation has to be Shawshank Redemption. Excellent cast, word-for-word from the book narration, etc..

I just don't want the Salem's Lot movie influencing the images I have, and love, from my head. If that makes any sense..

If it's been de-clawed for tv, I think I'll pass.

I wish I could find a good S.K. fan site to discuss all this..

Anyhoo, thanks for the info!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There is also a new 'Salem's Lot in the works--another TV adaptation. The IMDb doesn't have any release date information, but it is listed as 2004.

As an aside, I've probably read 'Salem's Lot more than any other SK book (kind of funny, since a character in the book belittles his parents for rereading books :)), and I always wanted a sequel. I believe the latest Dark Tower book has a tie-in, so I need to get to that one.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
The new Salems Lot comes out on TNT in June, and it's looking surprisingly good, at least from the recently released pix.

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Wolves of the Calla does have a Salem's Lot tie in. I'm only about 150 pgs in, so I don't know how important the tie-in is.

IMO, Salem's Lot is one of SK's scariest books. I think the movie is pretty good, albeit dated. It has one of the creepiest scenes I can remember where

Danny Glick is floating outside the window. It's right up there with the exorcist for me.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

personally, i love the film.
no there isn't any gore or grue, but like the scene the poster above me mentions, its got some wonderfully eerie/creepy passages.
and, like Kings books, it takes time to develop the characters so that the vampire bait come across as real people in jeopardy, not just stock characters designed to be disposable.

that quality is what makes me appreciate the film more than newer horror that lets it all hang out.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Jon - I'm about 100 pages ahead of you and that tie-in looks like it is going to be quite important. Nice to see chance of redemption for the Callahan character.

Gary Mays

Agent
I was but a teenager when it was first on television, but for many years, it was the scariest thing I'd ever seen.

I'd like to see it again.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Hmm.. Maybe I WILL check it out.. For $12 Cdn, why not?

The kid floating out of Danny's window always freaks me out when I read it, too. And don't get me started on the long,long trip up the stairs for Matt, and what he found there... :frowning:

BTW, I won't spoil anything for you, but Wolves of Calla is AWESOME! And the Salem's Lot tie-in is a BIG one..

Thanks guys!

Doug

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, Jon, Doug and Lou. Would you recommend rereading the other Dark Tower books before tackling Wolves? Or, at least, Wizard and Glass? I read it right when it came out, but I have a horrible memory when it comes to books. If I go back to a book after several years, it's like reading it again for the first time. I hope that's normal. :crazy:

Anyway, if you liked the It mini-series, chances are good you'll like 'Salem's Lot. But, you should really read It.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
If it's been years, then I would start from the beginning. It's my penence for not pacing myself and finishing Wolves of Calla in 5 days.. Now I have to wait until the next one comes out.. :)

It's a good thing I only started reading the series 4 years ago, or I'd be a basket-case by now.. lol

Anyhoo.. That's what I'm doing, and I'm picking up tons of stuff I missed the 1st, and in some cases the 3rd time around. The Wizard and the Glass is probably my favorite.. I love reading about Roland's younger days with Alain and Cuthbert.. I was hoping there would be more of that in W of C..

I saw the stuff about the upcoming re-make of Salem's Lot!! I can't wait! I hope it doesn't suck...

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Having read the book twice and having the mini-series on both VHS and DVD, I really like the movie. There are obvious elements from the book that didn't make it into the movie, but they don't detract from the movie at all. Actually, if you see the movie and then read the book, I think you will enjoy the book more than you would have never having seen the movie. One quick note though, DO NOT get the abridged 2 hr. version of the mini-series under any circustances; it exists both on VHS and DVD, make sure you get the 3.5 hour version which also exists on both medium. The movie/mini-series was actually shown over a 3 day period on ABC back in the ealy 1980's, I believe, in 1.5 hour installments, including commercials, if memory serves me right.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The shorter version reads SALEM'S LOT: THE MOVIE on the VHS packaging; while the original full length mini series is on DVD.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
hey, I checked all the links, and hopped links inside those links--but I have yet to find out who wrote this and who's directing it. The cast IS impressive, but I'd like to know who's behind the camera.

...oh yeah, IMDB still exists, don't it? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks