Sale Records for "TV" DVDs?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jim Harvey, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

Are there any websites that track the sales of DVD releases? I'd love to know how much TV DVDs sell.

2. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Yup, Videoscan runs a site, but it's upwards of $30,000/year for access to the information (yikes!!). Basically it's only the studio people and retailers that have accounts.

Gord

3. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

Thanks for the information, Gord! I think I'll keep that $30,000 in my wallet (whenever I get the chance to actually have $30,000 to call my own) . . . [​IMG]

4. Shawn_Sm

Shawn_Sm Stunt Coordinator

Why is it that we get music sales numbers shoved down our throats, but tv on dvd figures are some big mystery?

5. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

that's what I don't get, CD sales numbers aren't too hard to find, but yet to find out exactly how much season 2 of ________ sold, it's hush hush?

6. John*D

John*D Second Unit

[​IMG] Would be good to know the stats, to help sales of a struggling show rather than to wait for a lower price or whatever your reason and not get more releases.

7. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Maybe it's because these studios consider this information as trade secrets. I always found it odd that studios consider sales on their productss as trade secrets.

8. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I think if they were as liberal with DVD sales as they were with CD sales, things would be a lot better for fans.

There are at least 100 shows with the constant "when is the next season of _______ coming?", if numbers came out saying "well, season one of ______ has only scanned 8000 copies as of December 2005", that'd be much better for fans to know. There are too many shows out there that people don't know if they sold well or not, or if we'll see more. Not every show is a guarenteed hit like Seinfeld, Chappelle or The Simpsons.

I mean, when you hear that shows like Without A Trace flopped on DVD, it leads you to wonder, was it a "flop" in the 10,000 copies sold range, or was it a flop in a "it sold 300,000 copies while ER sold 500,000" way?

9. RandyAW

RandyAW Extra

It's easier for them to keep the profit sharing down if they keep the figures quiet.
    Alan Spencer, the man behind "Sledge Hammer" at one point had no idea how many copies of the Sledge DVD's had sold and as he said "They can pay him less that way". Thats paraphrasing it but you get the idea.

10. Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight Second Unit

Stephen
    It's strange that we can't find out how dvds are selling,but we can find out,six ways from Sunday,how movies are doing.You can go to websites and find out how much money movies have grossed over the weekend,how far it's grossed to date,gross by theatre,gross by age demographic,how it's done in one part of the U.S. compared to another,etc.If studios guard the sales number of their dvds as "trade secrets",why are they so open about their movies?

11. Jeff*H

Jeff*H Supporting Actor

Jeff
    I understand why studios don't want to give out retail sales figures (why reveal information, for example, that would cause music companies to charge even more for licensing once they get wind of how much money something is making), so why not satisfy fans' thirst for information by merely providing a ranking without any sales figures. This allows fans to see what's doing well relative to other releases. Everyone loves lists and top 100 stuff. Why not do this and keep the precious $$ amounts safely tucked away in private?

12. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

They're appealing to our group thinking. "Wow, Narnia was number 1 last week....hey....we should go see it too." It's a bit different with TV titles because, unlike movies, they're all different prices, and much higher than a movie.

Gord