What's new

Salary Negociation (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Ever done it?
I did my first one today, on the phone. I want the job, but the salary was below standards. The HR guy said he would talk to my possibly future manager then get back to me. I feel a little weird because I interned there in the summer and they know me. Also, I am wondering if they will not want to make me "pay" for what I am asking once I get the job. Like tighter deadlines, etc...
But then I they say, I know what I am worth and I should fight for it ;)
--
Holadem - New Grad

CharlesD

Screenwriter
If they at all professional they won't make you "pay" for it. If you are confident that what you are asking for is a reasonable salary for your position you are probably OK. They proabably have an idea of the max they are willing to pay for you, but of course would like to pay you less if possible. Some employers, however, are just plain cheap and will only hire at below market rates.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Negotiate as high a salary as possible before you're hired.

After that, your limited to 3 or 5% raises at most companies.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I had to negotiate for the right salary for a job once. The job required a relocation, which I felt warranted added compensation. In the end, I requested a fair salary given my qualifications and the cost of living for the area, and I got it without any real hassle. The company was professional and did not impose unrealistic deadlines on me because I negotiated for a higher salary.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Is there a way to edit thread titles? I just realised the mispelling :b

--

Holadem - we use "c" in french

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
Monster.com has a neat tool to find the average salary for various types of jobs in various locations. Check it out: http://salary.monster.com/
As for negotiating, I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm sure your boss would want to make as much as possible too, so he can't hold it against you. I would determine what a fair salary is, then give them an counter offer based on that. You might want to counter offer higher than what you expect to get, because they will probably counter offer something lower (yet still higher than their initial offer).
Also, since you have already worked there, they should consider you to be more valuable than someone off the street because you know the company. I would think you would be worth at least, if not more than, the average salary for that job type.
Just my opinion, best of luck to ya!

Don Black

Screenwriter
Just keep in mind the current job market... Employers hold most of the cards unless you're a superstar. I have Ivy League Ph.D.'s applying for $9/hour web design positions. Make sure you negotiate what you're worth today and not last year. Otherwise, you might be setting the bar too high. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks