Salamander care

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jassen M. West, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

I live in New England and last week we were having warm weather for December. While I enjoyed the weather i wasn't fooled into thinking it was spring. Unfortunately though some animals were, eagles started working on nest birds began mating calls. While thats not a problem, salamanders came out of hibernation. A friend found one in her basement the day after it snowed up here and i think it has a better chance of survival inside an aquarium. I have it setup with damp peat moss and a water dish. I read that a lamp is not a good idea because it will dry the air in the tank. Does anyone know what else i can do to help this little guy/gal survive until spring, when i plan to release him/her to the wild. I was thinking of feeding it crickets as i have them to feed my Gecko.

Thanks for your help.

Jassen

2. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

My sister had a "wild" salamander we found for a while years ago, and it was happy provided there was a lot of water around and a rock to flop out on. I think she fed it dried blood worms (the fish food, you should be able to find a tiny jar of it in any pet store), one tiny pinch every other day or so. The salamander was fine through the winter on this diet.

-Max

3. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

Your pet store can provide the food. Your library can provide a book on the care and feeding of your type of salamander. Or you can look it up at Google. Just search for "salamander husbandry" and you should find a wealth of information!

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yeah, you can get live bloodworms (and frozen ones) from most fish stores, although they're not cheap. Most fish go nuts for bloodworms, I know my Angelfish and my Platies that I had went haywire, it was like feeding time in the Piranha pen!!!

Jay

5. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Hey cool a salamander thread. 4 years ago in the autumn my ex found a Salamander in a strip mall parking lot. We took him in and made a great little home in the aquarium. He was a Tiger Salamander, whether being just native in the west I'm not sure of. Anyways

We fed him crickets and I tell you, the way he looked at me as I took the lid off he KNEW it was feeding time. Absolutely loved them. We would coat the crickets in calcium powder once in awhile too. At least I think it was calcium powder, my ex's sis worked in a pet store and said to do it once a week or something. Check into that. They're pretty neat creatures.

Good Luck and update us in the future!

6. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

Well, i bought some frozen blood worms and some "reptomin" food. the reptomin food i soak in water to get it soft and then hold it in front of the salamamder with some tweezers. He or she loves it. So far so good. Every day i change the water, with water that i boil to sterilize it. I hope this little critter lives until spring so it can go back to its home and make more little salamanders. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help as long as i have it i'll try to update.oh its been named Harold by my girlfriend.

thanks again,

jay