What's new

Salamander care (1 Viewer)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
I live in New England and last week we were having warm weather for December. While I enjoyed the weather i wasn't fooled into thinking it was spring. Unfortunately though some animals were, eagles started working on nest birds began mating calls. While thats not a problem, salamanders came out of hibernation. A friend found one in her basement the day after it snowed up here and i think it has a better chance of survival inside an aquarium. I have it setup with damp peat moss and a water dish. I read that a lamp is not a good idea because it will dry the air in the tank. Does anyone know what else i can do to help this little guy/gal survive until spring, when i plan to release him/her to the wild. I was thinking of feeding it crickets as i have them to feed my Gecko.

Thanks for your help.

Jassen

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
My sister had a "wild" salamander we found for a while years ago, and it was happy provided there was a lot of water around and a rock to flop out on. I think she fed it dried blood worms (the fish food, you should be able to find a tiny jar of it in any pet store), one tiny pinch every other day or so. The salamander was fine through the winter on this diet.

-Max

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
Your pet store can provide the food. Your library can provide a book on the care and feeding of your type of salamander. Or you can look it up at Google. Just search for "salamander husbandry" and you should find a wealth of information!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yeah, you can get live bloodworms (and frozen ones) from most fish stores, although they're not cheap. Most fish go nuts for bloodworms, I know my Angelfish and my Platies that I had went haywire, it was like feeding time in the Piranha pen!!!

Jay

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Hey cool a salamander thread. 4 years ago in the autumn my ex found a Salamander in a strip mall parking lot. We took him in and made a great little home in the aquarium. He was a Tiger Salamander, whether being just native in the west I'm not sure of. Anyways

We fed him crickets and I tell you, the way he looked at me as I took the lid off he KNEW it was feeding time. Absolutely loved them. We would coat the crickets in calcium powder once in awhile too. At least I think it was calcium powder, my ex's sis worked in a pet store and said to do it once a week or something. Check into that. They're pretty neat creatures.

Good Luck and update us in the future!

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Well, i bought some frozen blood worms and some "reptomin" food. the reptomin food i soak in water to get it soft and then hold it in front of the salamamder with some tweezers. He or she loves it. So far so good. Every day i change the water, with water that i boil to sterilize it. I hope this little critter lives until spring so it can go back to its home and make more little salamanders. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help as long as i have it i'll try to update.oh its been named Harold by my girlfriend.

thanks again,

jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks