Saint Patrick -- Cool... the Day -- eh, not so much

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MichaelBA, Mar 16, 2006.

1. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

Another St. Paddy's Day in NYC looms...

Yet another morning and early afternoon to anticipate countless insufferable dipsomaniacal hooligans rudely, crudely cramming the streets and subways.

And then to look forward even more to sharing the evening rush hour home with these sotted savages, noisome and noisy, as they boisterously disgorge their guts filled with green-tinted cheap beer and befoul the already far-from-clean floorage of the typical LIRR train.

Sigh.

[Of course I'm about 20 years past being young enough to still BE one of them.[​IMG]]

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Have a drink at McSorley's.

3. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    Too crowded. And remember, no amateurs allowed on Saint Paddy's day. [​IMG]

4. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Cooked up corned beef & cabbage for my wife last night...delicious. Should prepare this dish more than once a year.

Will steer clear of public festivities and devour the leftovers tonight and quench the thirst with a Guinness.

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

A Guiness? I don't understand you guys who can just stop after one drink [​IMG].

--
    H

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Of course, when cabbage is like 7-9cents a head, you can see why everybody eats cabbage at St. Patrick's day! Can't afford not too... [​IMG]

Jay

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Hah! No amateurs allowed ANY day. Last time I was there they kicked out a table full of lightweights so my group could get a seat. They very politely told them "Go to a fookin' coffee shop if you want to sip a drink!"

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

MichaelBA, I'm with ya. There's an Irish pub next to where I work and every St. Pats day, the people LINE the streets from early morning (i.e. their Irish brunch) all through the night.

People are out there acting like morons all day long.

Sorry to offend anyone, but I have to roll my eyes at this holiday. I guess because people have incorporated their own pathetic 'getting bombed and acting like a moron' mentality into the whole 'celebration' of the holiday.

It saddens me that you just have to add 'drinking beer' to anything and people flock like sheep. [​IMG]

9. andrew markworthy

If I may be permitted a cultural observation from this side of the Herring Pond. We repressed Brits are fascinated by some of our American cousins' holidays. We understand Independence Day (we'd like to celebrate being shot of you guys as well but we don't want to offend - this is the great British reserve you've heard so much about in action [​IMG]). We sort of understand wanting to celebrate screwing the native population with Thanksgiving but find it strange that you want it to be so close to Christmas (but then you poor jerks don't get to take a week off at Christmas like we do). We still can't understand why adults want to make a fuss about Halloween, which is purely a kid's thing over here (and by the way, you can take back the trick or treat extortion racket any time you like). And why do so many of you guys kid yourselves you've got Irish roots and go stupid on St Patrick's Day? (For the record, I really do have Irish roots and I've not the slightest inkling to celebrate the day). And don't get us started on Presidents' Day. The idea that we would have a holiday to celebrate a politician is just whacko. Now please excuse me whilst I check which day Boxing Day is on this year.

10. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Here in Boston it is a Suffolk County and State worker holiday. However, the holiday is actually "Evacuation Day" and celebrates the day our minutemen chased your nasty redcoats off our blessed soil. You know, "One if by land, two if by sea", "By the rune bridge that arched the flood, in April's breeze with flag unfurled", etc. You Brits finally turned tail and ran a year later on March 17, 1776 and we celebrate it to this day. The fact that the 'celebration' of Evacuation Day happens to fall on St. Patrick's Day in a city that has separate phonebooks for names that begin with O' and Mc is pure coincidence.[​IMG]

11. MarkHastings

Andrew, holidays are meaningless over here. The more one celebrates a holiday, the less likely it has any sort of real meaning to him/her self [​IMG]

Presidents Day = Day off
    Halloween = Candy / Dressing up like an idiot
    Thanksgiving = Day off with tons of food
    Christmas = Presents
    New Years = Staying up late and drinking
    St. Pats Day = Drinking
    Easter = Seeing family members you normally wouldn't any other day of the year.

etc.

None of the above has anything to do with the actual holiday, yet that's exactly how so many people celebrate them.

12. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    Yeah, the difference is they won't even let them IN the door on ST. Paddy's day [​IMG] It's been a long time for me since I haven't lived in the area for fifteen years but I also remember that you were given hints before they threw you out, if you weren't drinking fast enough. Also you must order pints in multiples of two or risk being thrown out. Ah, what a great bar.

13. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Yeah, real subtle hints like "Drink faster or find another bar, ya pikers!"

and you still have to order in twos -

"I'll have 2 lights and 2 darks, please."

"You'll have four of each and don't forget the tip. If ya don't like it, there's the door!"

14. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i gotta agree with mark on this one, today, too many morons have an excuse to be morons to the max. i'm certainly not against getting a belly full of beer now and again and acting like an idiot, but when everyone does it, i get irritated.

when i turned 21 (7 years ago today), i was going to school in boston, and i purposely did not tell any of my friends when my birthday was, i didnt want the "dooooddd!! we gotta take you out!" experience. not that we didn't do that anyway, but if i'm going to be irish for a day, it's certainly not today. this boy is scottish, and i wear my ORANGE with pride [​IMG]

CJ

15. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

The day does seem like it's essentially an excuse to get sloshed (which I've never been enamored of). Nothing wrong with celebrating something, though, as silly as it may seem to the Brits. [​IMG]

16. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Michael, you described my evening commmute home tonight from the city perfectly...I will say though that the smell of beer on the LIRR train floors smelled better than whatever that foul smell was on the train in to work this morning.

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Um. Okay? Isn't that a bit Sectarian? Or am I /completely/ misunderstanding the reference?

18. MarkHastings

I thought only us Italians did that?...or is that Red? I don't know. I used to wear red and orange, but gave that up a few years ago. Now I give in and wear green just so I don't have to listen to everyone asking me where my green is.

19. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Orange is one of the colors of the Irish flag, meant to represent the Protestants, with the green representing the Catholics. The white in between is supposed to symbolize peace, but not many wear white on St. Pat's day. The orange specifically comes from William of Orange, who defeated the Catholic King James II and secured Protestant dominance over the Isle.

PS - And yes, it is a bit sectarian. I think that was Christ's point. [​IMG]

20. MarkHastings

Yeah, I'm sure the Italian thing has no real story behind it. It's just more of a protest and they did the red because of the similarities between the Italian and Irish flags.

My mom's side is 100% Italian and I remember her telling me that when she was young (being in an tough Italian neighborhood), that they used to do it as a sort of protest to St. Pats day (or something like that).