What's new

SAINT JACK on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Peter Bogdanovich's excellent 1979 film, which Scorpion remastered and reissued on DVD in 2015, is now on Blu-ray in a presentation that adds several bonus features. Screen Archives and Ronin Flix offer it. My "two-tiered" review here: https://letterboxd.com/bobcashill/film/saint-jack/

I remember when the DVD came out, I queried why no Blu-ray disc had been released. The DVD is very, very good. I'll have to think hard about upgrading.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I have this blu and I can say it is fantastic. I had the older DVD version of this, not the Scorpion release but the one that says Roger Corman Collection on it. I have always loved this picture and I think it is a must own particularly on this new blu, I have never seen this look better. This film was a "return to form" for Bogdanovich and I think stands with his best work from the early 1970s. Outstanding film with maybe Ben Gazzara's best performance, the always spectacular Denholm Elliott and a host of wonderful character actors filling out the other major parts. This includes the wonderfully weird James Villiers as Froggy Froggett. Funny that they use a Bond song in the first half of the film and former Bond George Lazenby is a key player in the second half of the picture.

Cheers to Scorpion for knocking this release out of the park!

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I'd say the new material. and the improved transfer, do add up to a worthwhile repurchase, though it is pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lockheede
Recent bookmarks