Safety of building near power lines?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by James_G, Jan 17, 2004.

1. James_G

James_G Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking into buying a lot of 40 acres to build a new home on. There's this really prime area but it has a power line running along the easternmost edge. It would end up being roughly 1/4 of a mile away from the home.

Now, the major question is whether or not there are increased risks of cancer or other disease by being this close to a line? I really have no idea but I've heard conflicting reports all over the place. Anyone here at the HTF have any hands-on knowledge about the subject? Any help would be much appreciated. [​IMG] I don't want my kids to grow extra limbs or anything like that. [​IMG]

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    You're going to have far more "exposure" to EM radiation from the wiring and appliances inside your home than you could conceivably get from a powerline 1/4 mile away. I have yet to see a single "study" of cancer clusters "associated" with powerlines that rose to the level of statistical significance. The people panicking (and seeking to panic others) on this subject (and many others) don't understand statistics, and don't realize that things like cancer will not be spread "evenly" across populations, or geographic areas or any other arbitrary category and that there will always be apparent "clusters" as a result. This is a classic case of assuming causation when two things happen to be seen together.

On my last job I had to get up when it was still dark outside, and I did the same on weekends to keep my body clock on schedule. So I'd get into the shower every morning when it was dark, and by the time I emerged showered and shaved from the bathroom, the sun would be coming up. Did my shower cause the sun to rise?

Personally, I don't think so. Your mileage may vary. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My condo complex has high-tension power lines actually running over it. None of the 80+ year old seniors living here are glowing yet.

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

The bigger question is do the powerlines make a view ugly? People don't want to live near powerlines because of danger, people don't want to live near them because they are ugly and lower property values.

5. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Take a fluorescent light tube and stand under the power lines and hold the tube up. It'll light up! (I've tried this). Does this mean that there is a health risk associated with the power lines? I have no idea whatsoever.

I agree that power lines are very ugly & if I were you I'd build somewhere were I didn't have to look at them.

6. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

Yes, so please for the love of God do not stop showering early in the A.M. If you promise to do this, I will promise not to stop eating dinner so the sun goes down and we can all get to sleep.

- Jack

7. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    My six years working at the Electric Power Research Institute taught me that there is absolutely no science to back up the fears that EMF's from living in proximity to power lines (transmission or distribution) cause cancer or any other diseases in humans.

Rob

8. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Another factor to consider; AM radio. AM radio is really fun to listen to at night and I suspect that powerlines near your home would cause reception problems.