Safety glass in my grass...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric_L, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Hurricane Charley blew two of my rear sliding glass doors off of their frame, across my living room and out my front window. They all shattered.

Now I have aboutr 30 sq ft. of lawn that is LOADED with safety glass fragments. I'm talkin LOADED. I have Floritam grass, it is thick. There is glass all the way down to the soil.

One person told me to go over it with a mower + grass catcher - but I don't have a catcher.

Someone else suggested just mulch it to infinity - eventually it will be so small as to be inconcenquential - particularly as thick as the lawn is. Likely it will be buried under mulch in a season or two.

Another person said dig out the lawn and replace.

I have three children from 3-8. They don't really play on that part of the lawn much, but...

Anyone have any ideas of a way to clean it up?

2. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Eric,

First I think I'd just try using my 16 gal Sears shop vac to suck it up. I suspect that would work. If not, then I might think about renting a heavy duty lawn vac and try that.

3. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Yep, a shop vac should work well.

the pieces of glass won't cause any severe wounds but can get lodged in a childs foot if they walk barefoot over it. It happened to me when I was a kid. No problem to get taken out though.

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Most of it you can get out with a garden rake, I expect. Rake it up into a dustpan as if you were using a broom. Further measures should depend on how much is left, and what size the fragments are. Safety glass is made so that it doesn't form razor-sharp shards, that's the "safety" part, so it should be easier to handle than fragments of a drinking glass. And you can rent a lawnmower w. grass catcher if need be. I hope you get things back together, and the next one doesn't get you.