What's new

Safety glass in my grass... (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Hurricane Charley blew two of my rear sliding glass doors off of their frame, across my living room and out my front window. They all shattered.

Now I have aboutr 30 sq ft. of lawn that is LOADED with safety glass fragments. I'm talkin LOADED. I have Floritam grass, it is thick. There is glass all the way down to the soil.

One person told me to go over it with a mower + grass catcher - but I don't have a catcher.

Someone else suggested just mulch it to infinity - eventually it will be so small as to be inconcenquential - particularly as thick as the lawn is. Likely it will be buried under mulch in a season or two.

Another person said dig out the lawn and replace.

I have three children from 3-8. They don't really play on that part of the lawn much, but...

Anyone have any ideas of a way to clean it up?

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Eric,

First I think I'd just try using my 16 gal Sears shop vac to suck it up. I suspect that would work. If not, then I might think about renting a heavy duty lawn vac and try that.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Yep, a shop vac should work well.

the pieces of glass won't cause any severe wounds but can get lodged in a childs foot if they walk barefoot over it. It happened to me when I was a kid. No problem to get taken out though.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Most of it you can get out with a garden rake, I expect. Rake it up into a dustpan as if you were using a broom. Further measures should depend on how much is left, and what size the fragments are. Safety glass is made so that it doesn't form razor-sharp shards, that's the "safety" part, so it should be easier to handle than fragments of a drinking glass. And you can rent a lawnmower w. grass catcher if need be. I hope you get things back together, and the next one doesn't get you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks