'Safely Remove Hardware' - bloody annoying

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Woods, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Mike Woods

Mike Woods Agent

Hi,

I've just installed an intel usb anypoint network adapter and it works fine. But Windows XP doesn't seem to accept this and it loads an system tray icon each time I load windows giving me the option of 'safely removing the hardware'. I can't see how to get rid of the icon, anyone know how?

2. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

I've found that my Via based USB controller is crap and isn't really USB compliant with all types of devices... Joysticks work, but "adapter" devices like USB-Serial don't.. this could be your problem as well, which would be fixed by getting a USB add-on board, or a nice new USB 2.0 board which is a bit faster than firewire.

also the icon in the tray appears all the time, and I don't know about the specifics of it, but it does not indicate trouble, probably just for removing hardware that the OS would have a problem with if you disconnected it. no big deal.

3. James St

James St Supporting Actor

If you just want to hide the icon then try this. Click on Start/Settings/Taskbar and Start Menu/Customize. Change the icon behavior to always hide. Is this what you were looking for?