Safely eliminating Linux install

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Colin-H, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

Right now I have my computer set up to dual boot Linux and XP. I never use Linux anymore, and I want to recover the disk space. However, I'm using LILO as a boot loader. What I want to do is safely eliminate Linux, reformat that disk in Windows, and eliminate the boot loader so it always boots XP. How should I go about this?

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Use the windows version of fdisk. fdisk /mbr will clear the master boot record, and Windows will restore it when you reinstall.

3. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

I don't want to reinstall Windows. I just want to get rid of Linux and recover the disk space.

4. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

To get rid of the bootloader boot from the XP CD. Go into the repair console, it looks like DOS. After you get to the prompt type fixmbr. It will ask you if you are sure. Hit Y and then type exit to reboot.

As for getting the space back. If it is on the same HD, you will have to use Partition Magic to make the HD all partition again. If it is on another HD, then right click on My Computer in XP, and select manage. Look at the disk management and delete the Linux partitions. Then you can format them. You can do the same thing if it is on the same HD as your XP install. But, you will then have "2" HD's.

I am kind on in the other boat, I haven't used Windows in a while, but keep it around because of a few programs.

5. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

Thanks a lot, Jeff.