safe to use my new hard drive?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Christ Reynolds, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i recently purchased a 200gb (189gb) hard drive. due to the limitations of windows xp (i think) i could only use the first 137gb of it. i used partition magic 8 to resize it to its true value of 189gb, but i was reading online that trying to access beyond the first 137gb could result in data loss. the reason i am concerned is, maxtor says that you can only use more than the 137gb IF you install windows xp sp1 (which i cannot do, i get strange conflicts) OR use an ata-133 card. luckily, i found the box which included a free ata-133 card, so i have the new hd attached to that, and my normal ide channels taken up by 2 hard drives on primary, dvd+/-rw and cdrw on the secondary. is there any risk to me using the whole drive? i bought it for a reason, and i would really hate to lose my data because i was negligent...any help is appreciated.

CJ

2. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

You should be set by using the ATA133 card. Theoritically it should work, but I am not too familiar with the compatibility with Windows XP and SP1. In case you are still fearing you might loose data, partition the HD so that no partition is bigger than 137. I would make a 100 gig partition and partition the rest as another drive to be on the safe side. XBox works the same way, but it's ATA66 controller limits partitions to 137 with stock bios. You are using a controller made for those sizes, but again, the Windows compliance isnt familiar to me.

L8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Agreed. I would break it up into two partitions. I don't think that the limitation is with the capacity of the drive but rather with the capacity of the partition.

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The "137GB" limit is a low-level sector addressing limit. Before ATA-133, sector numbers were 28-bit values (sectors are 512 bytes, if you want to do the math); now they are 48-bit numbers, so this new capability is sometimes called "48-bit LBA" (Logical Block Addressing).

Both the OS and the BIOS must support it. The OS has to know that drives can get that big, so they can call the right routines with the right values, and the BIOS must know what to do with these really big numbers. That ATA-133 card will handle the BIOS end of it.

Windows XP SP1 and 2000 SP3 support 48-bit LBA. Supposedly you can activate the support for earlier versions of XP for "testing purposes" -- you may want to do more research on that.

//Ken