What's new

Safe to run T-connector from one amp-in to a 2nd amp-in? (1 Viewer)

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to do a kind of "poor man's zoning" where I've got an amp for each room, and I run the outputs from the pre-amp to the first amp where they plug into a T-connector and then from the T-connector it runs to the second amp. That way, by turning each amp on or off I can have music in either room or both rooms simultaneously.

My question is, is there anything dangerous about doing it like this? Would a Y-connector at the pre-amp be safer? Why or why not?

Thanks for any advice.

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
Bump!

Also for more details, I'm thinking about doing this with some Aragon palladium monoblocks with the single-ended connectors - internally they are differential, might that make any difference? Thanks...

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I think a Y might be better than a T, because then the second amp won't be fed a signal through 2 lengths of interconnect. This should work for either amp playing by itself. For both playing simultaneously, you need to make sure the combined impedance doesn't get too low. Assuming both amps are the same, see if 1/2 the amp's input impedance (which is what you'll get if you combine them) is 10 times greater than the preamp's output impedance. If it is, you should be good to go. Try and use short low-capacitance interconnects if you can.
Disclaimer: And if you blow something up, don't blame me for saying you could do it :) Seriously, this situation should be similar to bi-amping, so I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks