Safe to run AMD without thermal compound/pad for a week or two?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Jun 1, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hey, i ordered a tube of Arctic Silver Alumina last week, but i chekced my mailbox in the US this weekend and it wasn't there yet... Well i ordered the computer parts today, and its gonna be here probably on wednesday, but i wont be going back down to the states until that weekend. I dont wanna use the thermal pad thats on the heatsink as I hear it will affect the performance of the Arctic Silver.
    I'll probably be too excited to wait until the weekend, so ill probably hve to use it right away. But is it safe to use an AMD Thunderbird 1.33GHz without any thermal compound (but heatsink and fan) for a week or two?
    Im kinda freaked after seeing the tests at Tomshardware with melting AMD cores... [​IMG]

2. GaryAR

GaryAR Agent

i ran a thunderbird 1 GHz for quite a while w/o heat sink compound. it wasn't very stable, and it liked to instantaneously reboot every once in a while. (of course, i didn't realize there was nothing between the fan & the cpu). if you have a good motherboard (asus, abit, etc.) then i doubt you'll do real damage to the cpu. still, i wouldn't recommend it. you can just go to compuseless and get a tube of the generic stuff for $4, and that sure beats the risk of frying your cpu.

-gary

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

If the fan u are using has a thermal pad, and is made for the TB I'd say OK .. otherwise I'd wait.

Brent

4. Jason_Lund

Jason_Lund Extra

What kind of heatsink did you buy?

If it's a normal mass-market type cooler the thermal compound included is fine as long as the unit is designed for your model/speed CPU. Once you have installed it and the compound bonds to the CPU it's not worth the trouble to remove again to install Arctic Silver.

Arctic silver is great if you need the extra thermal efficency for overclocking or ultra quiet cooling solutions. It's also great if your cooler does not come with any sort of heatsink compound (or includes a tube of the white goo.) For normal use it's overkill and can cause harm if not properly applied. Use too much and it can squirt out when you install the cooler and get onto the exposed electrical bridges on the top of the cpu.

Save the Artic Silver for a future project and use the heasink as designed whenever it arrives.

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Don't run the thing WITHOUT the thermal pad, otherwise you'll have a cooked CPU and a fried motherboard!

If I were you, I'd wait. Once you install it and turn it on, the thermal pad will partly come off on the CPU, thus forcing you to scrape the stuff off. Use a credit card! Do NOT use any metal object to scrape it off, otherwise you'll scratch the CPU, and when you apply the thermal compound later, it will not fill in the micro-scratches properly, thereby compromising the stability of the system.

Patience, young paddy-wonton.

6. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

If you use an Athlon with the retail fan/heatsink & don't overclock, you shouldn't have an issue should you?

I'm planning on snagging a 2100+ in the next week or so and will probably go the retail route, as I don't plan to overclock. I'm putting it in a good case (Coolermaster) so I think it should be ok. Anyone?

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Im getting a Coolermaster fan, its AMD Recommended...

I guess ill just use the thermal pad thats on it (if there is any). if not, ill go for some el-cheapo stuff... Better safe than sorry.. The Arctic Silver Alumina was only like $3 USD anyways...