What's new

Safari Question (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I just bought my first Mac over the weekend (Macbook). I never knew I could fall so heavily in love with a computer! I should have made this move 5 years ago.

Anyway, my question is that when I'm browsing HTF with Safari and reading a thread, hitting the "back" arrow takes me back to the HTF Home Page instead of the thread index. Is there some setting I need to change on Safari?

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Back = Command+[ ( Apple+[ )
Forward = Command+] ( Apple+] )

Look in the History menu and you'll see the shortcuts at the top.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Thanks Daryl, but unfortunately that has the same effect as the back arrow. It doesn't have the problem I'm having. So far it only happens on HTF and Gmail. If I'm in my Gmail and hit the back button it goes to whatever site I was visiting before Gmail. The same thing happens here. Perhaps I should upgrade to Safari 3??

KevA

Stunt Coordinator
Long-time Mac user here and I'm having the same issue as Daryl. In fact, I can see that (fairly recently) virtually all HTF forum threads open with the "load" symbol constantly spinning in the browser tab. This presumably means that the page is never fully loaded. (That spinning symbol exists as I type this message and it's not going away.) This probably indicates why hitting "back" goes two pages back instead of one, since the current page never fully loads.

I'm not sure why this is happening but I only see it on HTF for now.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Testing this in Safari and I see what you're talking about. Safari just doesn't handle HTF pages properly. Very weird.

I use Firefox; it's just dandy.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this is being discussed in the feedback section.

in the report all problems thread.

no answers yet forr why it it happening.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I don't get it. isn't the back arrow supposed to take you to the last viewed page?

and... welcome to the club! you'll never turn back!

(I use firefox as well)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
If your refering to Safari it's another bug, just click in the address bar and hit Return to finish loading. I had this problem in Firefox and Opera on HTF on my old pc and it turned out to be an ad server unable to load an image. Pissed me off so I found the link, blocked it using Outpost firewall and the problem disapeared.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that doesnt work.
it doesnt matter how deep into htf you go or how many links in you click, hitting the back button, or the the address bar and then enter takes you back to the first page you entered into htf or the first page before you entered htf.

the blue line in the address bar finishes but the spining thing in the "tab" never stops spinning.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I've only ever used Safari with HTF (since the advent of Safari) and this is a definite bug -- and I wouldn't blame Safari per se -- some change in HTF's software triggered it. I don't think it maters if you a running Safari 2.x or Safari 3 beta (which is what I'm using now).

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I'm logged in HTF and checking on Safari right now. I am now able to go back one page by by hitting the delete key or command+[ or command+left arrow and by clicking the browsers back button. Odd.

I deleted my "com.apple.Safari.plist" file about 2 weeks ago. Maybe that might help correct the problem.

KevA

Stunt Coordinator
I generally Command-click links as well, but not always.

In any event, the back button should work if one is not using Command-click (tabs). I have noticed recently that this issue is not exclusive to HTF; I have started to see it occuring with other sites as well.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I actually prefer Firefox as well, however I can't get it to fill the screen on my Macbook. I was able to get Safari to do it with a simple plugin, however Firefox will only do this with Windows.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that pic also causes the spinny thing to continue to spin after the blue line finishes.

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
Up until a few weeks ago HTF ran fine with Safari. I noticed the perpetual spinner and some other issues like my back button is not active since then.

-EJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks