Safari Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Patrick Larkin, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I've become quite enamored with Safari. I've been using it since it was released and have become quite used to it. If you've been using Safari for a while now, try going back to Internet Explorer. It was horrendously slow and did strange things while rendering a web page. Blank white pags, white spots that would reappear only after scrolling, etc. The goofy tab things on the side (did anyone actually use the Scrapbook and the Search tab?

Some of the cool things in Safari:

• Snapback. I scoffed at this at first. It is pretty clever. Use it here at HTF. Post a reply to a thread. The php code sends you to a processing page and then reloads the thread. Who wants to see the thread? You want to go back to the forum. After posting, hit the Snapback. Voila!
    • Integrated Google box - This incredibly useful in its own right but try clicking the little magnifying glass in the box. You get a list of all the searches you've done.
    • Block Popup Windows - This is an obvious feature in any web browser. Apple puts it right there in the app menu so you don't have to hunt pref boxes when you need to turn it off or on.
    • Empty Cache and Clear History as menu selections - again, no need to bury these in a Preferences box. Easily accessible
    • Tabs - tabs are great but apple really nailed the tab thing.
    • The best bookmark manager - There is no bookmark manager I have seen that comes close to rivaling Safari.
    • Activity Viewer - When you do a lot of web surfing (or developing), this is very useful.
    • Spell Check - Ctrl-Click any text box in a form and check your spelling.

What do you like?

2. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

3. Patrick Larkin

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I use Safari as my primary browser, but I'd really adopted it as such while it was still in beta. That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement though:

?The ability to easily import and export bookmark files without the need for third-party software
    ?Better Java support. I can't view checks that have cleared my bank because Safari chokes on the Java applet.
    ?My biggest peeve: The inability to select my own target locations when downloading files.

I still love the speed, the clean interface and all the other pluses mentioned previously.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I despise its cuteness and, while I have zero experience with anything outside of PCs, I just hate anything with Apple's name on it.

j/k

Though I wonder how long it'll take before that attitude meets this thread. [​IMG]

I love Safari. I never knew what people were talking about when they mentioned "speed" in reference to web browsers. Now I know. Safari actually renders a page noticably faster than IE 6 (PC and OS X versions).

The pop-up stopper feature could be more robust but it's nice that it at least makes an attempt. My only other criticism (and this is very minor) is that when you click inside the address bar (where you type the URL) Safari doesn't automatically select all of the text. I'd prefer it work like most other browsers where the entire line is highlighted.

6. Patrick Larkin

I can't view checks either but thats only because of poor programming on the bank's part.

The biggest java app I use is the java client for MeetingMaker. Its a large app and works perfectly in Safari. (It didn't in the beta.)

Another neat feature in Preferences is the ability to accept cookies only from sites you visit directly, in other words denying advertiser cookies.

Features I need as a web developer for my organization: the ability to double click the SSL "lock" icon to see certificate particulars. The ability to truly TAB a form. Currrently Safari only tabs to text fields skipping pulls downs and radio buttons. I have large forms that people are used to tabbing around. Another sticky problem is that a certain 3rd party product we use requires a browser with ActiveX. I doubt we'll ever see this (nor do I want it, I'd rather see the developer fix their code to be platform agnostic.)

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

8. Patrick Larkin

Command - L selects the URL.

9. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Count me in as an appreciator of Safari. It certainly has speeded up my browsing experience. Like the pop-up blocker, too! Only problem is, some Web pages just won't function in Safari. Then I have to open up the lumbering IE to get into the pages. If course, IE's days are numbered, since Microsoft decided to discontinue its Mac development of the program.

10. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

11. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

12. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Definitely better than Explorer.

The only issue I have is some sites don't work. A little while back, Dunkin Donuts had this contest where you entered codes from their iced coffee cups into a web site. I couldn't enter the codes with Safari (or any other Mac browser). In fact, I couldn't even get Netscape on my PC to do it either, the only browser that worked was Explorer on the PC.

Or how about Yahoo videos? I keep getting error messages...

But other than those few things, it's still a great browser. [​IMG]

13. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

14. Patrick Larkin

Michael - I understand where you are coming from but it all depends on when you want to do the work. You can do it your way and have Safari pop up a Save As... dialog box that you have to navigate to your preferred destination OR have it download to a single location and then file it manually. Apple's choice is simplicity.

15. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

16. Patrick Larkin

I don't think so. Its like people who prefer to back their car into a parking spot. Sure, it saves you time pulling out but the time you save pulling out, you waste by backing in.

Now, if Apple would allow a PREFERENCE to be set to change this behavior, that would be preferred.

I personally don't want to choose a download folder every time. I choose to pull in my spot forward and back out. [​IMG]

17. Patrick Larkin

another nifty new shortcut.

if you find a band's homepage that offers mp3 downloads of songs, Ctrl-click a song and one of the options is "Open with iTunes." Otherwise, quicktime opens it in the browser.

18. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

19. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

I too have slowly switched over to Safari as my daily internet browser, only a few "bugs" it seems to have are that many sites and links do not work since they are not supported by this browser.

Perhaps the most irratating thing about Safari though, is how when you go into your account in hotmail (whether you have it sign you in automatically or not), it never seems to load the most up-to-date setting of your inbox, junkmail, etc. i find that i may receive 2 new messages, 3 in my junk mail, and maybe i'll trash a few more, and this will all show up instantly if you open hotmail from Explorer. But with Safari, it has no idea all this has been done until you click on refresh about 5 times.

What kind of rig is everyone running by the way? Here is mine:

1.25Ghz Dual G4 (mirrored door) with 2GB RAM and Radeon 9000 + 19" viewsonic CRT
    12" Powerbook with 640MB RAM
    2Ghz Dual G5 with 8GB RAM and Radeon 9800 (arriving soon) + dual 19" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro LCD screens

20. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Can i ask a stupid question?

Does anyone else feel web browsing on a Mac is considerably slower than a equal PC? I'm getting a G5 for video editing- and I have always found the mac to just FEEL slow as a machine (might be how the mouse scroll is set out of the box)...

But the biggest issue- and I've compared noted with a dozen people who use both- the web pages seem to load SERIOUSLY slower versus a windows machine running IE.

Has anyone else noticed this?

-vince