What's new

TWILIGHTTIMEMOVIES.COM and SAE Twilight Time Sale – every Blu-ray $4.95-14.95 (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nothing currently listed under 50 at SAE

SOLD OUT SATURDAY on TTM

THE GLORY GUYS

SOLD OUT SATURDAY on TTM
GARDEN OF EVIL (1954) SOLD OUT

LOW STOCK at TTM
Noon May 31

CHATO'S LAND (1972) 5
LAWMAN (1971) 24
CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE (1947) 25
BROKEN LANCE (1954) 34
OKLAHOMA CRUDE (1973) 35
WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? (1957) 40
TRUE STORY OF JESSE JAMES, THE (1957) 61
WARLOCK (1959) 69
QUIET AMERICAN, THE (1958) 78
SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER (1959) 89
THE CHASE (1966) 103
BLUE DENIM (1959) 131
BOBBY DEERFIELD (1977) 148
ADVENTURES OF HAJJI BABA, THE (1954) 158
IN MY COUNTRY (2004) 161
X Y & ZEE (1972) 165
GENGHIS KHAN (1965) 172
BENEATH THE 12-MILE REEF (1953) 175
BANDOLERO! (1968) 188

Best Sellers on Saturday - individual units sold May 30
THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN (1954) 49
GARDEN OF EVIL (1954) 14
THE CHASE (1966) 10
SNAKE PIT, THE (1948) 9
WARLOCK (1959) 8
BLUE DENIM (1959) 7
QUILLER MEMORANDUM, THE (1966) 7
RUSSIA HOUSE, THE (1990) 7
SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER (1959) 6
TALL MEN, THE (1955) 6

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Week 3 -- Compiled Statistics on TTM Clearance Sale

Table 1) Current Stock starting 5/31

Table 2) Most Units Sold During Clearance Sale. Lawman became the first Title to sell 800 units last week and this week is approaching 900 and selling out. Three Coins in a Fountain is rapidly going to overtake it and likely will become the 1st 1000 unit sell. I thought Bandolero might be that item, but Three Coins just keeps selling large batches at a time (and has a bit higher final ceiling) every few days while Bandolero is one of the more consistent titles.

Table 3) Most Units Sold 3rd Week. With a remarkable 50 units sold Saturday and another 35 last Sunday - Three Coins in a Fountain tops the week 3 list with a remarkable 98 discs with Bandolero second at 90

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
With a remarkable 50 units sold Saturday and another 35 last Sunday - Three Coins in a Fountain tops the week 3 list with a remarkable 98 discs

You can add another copy sold to your list. A trusted friend of mine with whom I usually have very similar tastes just told me it's one of his favorite movies, so I decided to blind buy it. Every time you think you're done, they pull you back in.

Reactions: PMF

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
You can add another copy sold to your list. A trusted friend of mine with whom I usually have very similar tastes just told me it's one of his favorite movies, so I decided to blind buy it. Every time you think you're done, they pull you back in.
Just don't STARE into her eyes ...
1590982610615.png
;)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

It's a good movie, but a very odd selling pattern. 98 copies in 7 days not super unusual, but 85 copies sold on 2 days and 15 in the other 5 days combined. It's just a very odd pattern

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's a good movie, but a very odd selling pattern.

Well, it is the featured title that's right there on the front page of TT's site that draws your attention as soon as you load the page. I didn't even have to search for it. Plus, aren't they offering some kind of discount on it if you buy it with other titles? That might be encouraging more people to make an impulse buy of it. In my case, it has nothing to do with the combined title discount because I didn't think I cared about it until after placing all of my other orders, so it is, again, a single-title order which could have shipped for less if I had been smart and done all of mine at once. But maybe, if people are doing large orders anyway, the promise of a discount is encouraging them to throw it in? Dunno.

Since they have a month left, I'm not sure if they will bother updating the front page to give "featured title" status to another disc. But it would be interesting to see, if they do that, whether that title will have a corresponding uptick in sales.

To be honest, you mentioning its unusual success prompted me to ask my friend if it was worth getting, which prompted his response that it is one of his favorite movies of the '50s. So the combination of its success prior to my getting it, which prompted you to mention that, which prompted me to ask my friend, combined to push me toward buying it. Of course, that only explains my copy and not all the others. But, thanks.

I don't regret buying it, and I'll be happy to get it. But I do regret how poorly I have mismanaged this sale. I've gotten How to Succeed, State Fair, Suddenly Last Summer, Anastasia (from SAE as TT was already sold out) and now Three Coins in the Fountain since the closure notice happened, and each of them I thought was going to be the final title I needed. So each shipped separately, except for State Fair which hitched a ride inside one of my friend's orders. (Incidentally, he's the same friend who today recommended Three Coins.). If I could go back to May 10 and tell myself that I was going to end up getting five different discs, I would have just done it all together and saved a lot on shipping. But since I was only focused on one title at a time, that means each title incurred a higher shipping cost than it needed to, which is my bad.

On another note which is unrelated to the sale, when did Twilight Time transition to using the clear white keep cases instead of blue ones? I just pulled my copy of Oliver! on the shelf, which I've had for a long time now but haven't watched in a little while, and I had forgotten that it was actually in a blue case. All of the other Twilight Time ones I have are in the clear cases, so it seems out of place next to them, even though it's not.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
On another note which is unrelated to the sale, when did Twilight Time transition to using the clear white keep cases instead of blue ones? I just pulled my copy of Oliver! on the shelf, which I've had for a long time now but haven't watched in a little while, and I had forgotten that it was actually in a blue case. All of the other Twilight Time ones I have are in the clear cases, so it seems out of place next to them, even though it's not.
I get the feeling that someone else can tell you a definitive answer but based simply on the TT discs that I have, the transition was in early 2015. Looking up the release dates, U-Turn came out in March 2015 and had a blue case, the Fright Night re-release came out in January 2015 with a clear case and well before the end of 2015, they were all clear cases. I don't remember for sure but I think Fright Night was the first clear one. Although they may have used a clear case to differentiate it from the first release before making it a standard thing.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, it is the featured title that's right there on the front page of TT's site that draws your attention as soon as you load the page. I didn't even have to search for it. Plus, aren't they offering some kind of discount on it if you buy it with other titles? That might be encouraging more people to make an impulse buy of it. In my case, it has nothing to do with the combined title discount because I didn't think I cared about it until after placing all of my other orders, so it is, again, a single-title order which could have shipped for less if I had been smart and done all of mine at once. But maybe, if people are doing large orders anyway, the promise of a discount is encouraging them to throw it in? Dunno.

It's a std 10/115 11.95 title now. There was a $5 discount promo code COINS for getting it in a $50 order but that expired 2 weeks ago (??). After that dropped off so did the orders except for 2-3 when 80-90% of the activity happens

I don't think the FT page has changed in a while so I not sure what accounts for the Boom/Bust purchasing pattern. The 2 LARGE days were a Sunday and Saturday so maybe the genre fans are more likely to internet browse/buy on the weekend?

The first 100 or so had Blue cases -- initially Viva Elite similar to the clear case, then a few months of some cheap squarer edged variety like OLIVE often uses (and most everyone hated) when Viva cases were being changed or became much harder to get, then they went to this special Clear VIVA Elite with the Bluray Logo on the top edge

The Journey to the Center of the Earth Encore had the Blue Case March 2015 -- i think it was the only Encore with 2 blue cases. The other March releases (U-turn, The Bounty, etc) also had Blue. April 2015 had clear cases - The Fantasticks, April Love, etc had clear (just realized that April Love was actually an April release -- never dawned on me before). There were a couple one-offs like the Fright Night 30th Anniversary January 2015 with the clear case -- it was speculated the Encores would get a Clear case to differentiate them, but that turned out not to be the case in the end.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

SOLD OUT SUNDAY on TTM

GARDEN OF EVIL (1954) SOLD OUT

SOLD OUT MONDAY on TTM
None

LOW STOCK at TTM
1pm ET June 1
CHATO'S LAND (1972) 3
LAWMAN (1971) 17

CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE (1947) 24
OKLAHOMA CRUDE (1973) 26
BROKEN LANCE (1954) 31
WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? (1957) 30
TRUE STORY OF JESSE JAMES, THE (1957) 56
WARLOCK (1959) 65
QUIET AMERICAN, THE (1958) 77
SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER (1959) 85
THE CHASE (1966) 102
BLUE DENIM (1959) 129
BOBBY DEERFIELD (1977) 148
IN MY COUNTRY (2004) 158
X Y & ZEE (1972) 164
GENGHIS KHAN (1965) 170
BENEATH THE 12-MILE REEF (1953) 172
BANDOLERO! (1968) 184
RUSSIA HOUSE, THE (1990) 198
THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN (1954) 198

Best Sellers on Sunday - individual units sold May 31
OKLAHOMA CRUDE (1973) 9
FATHERLAND (AKA SINGING THE BLUES IN RED / 1986) 9
KINGS GO FORTH (1958) 9
LAWMAN (1971) 8
WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? (1957) 7
A MAN CALLED PETER (1955) 7
BANDOLERO! (1968) 6
WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING, THE (1935) 6
ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA (1972) (REGION A ONLY) 6
TEN NORTH FREDERICK (10 NORTH FREDERICK / 1958) 6

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought the SAE sale was only extended through the end of May, but it's worth noting that as of this writing late in the day on June 1, they haven't re-raised any of their pricing as far as I know. I guess they're trying to remain at least somewhat competitive with the TT sale. I still wouldn't go there for anything that is still in stock at TT, but if anyone misses out on anything at TT, it's good to know that SAE's prices are not yet back to their normal non-sale high end.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I wouldn’t mind if the ten movies I ordered on may 10th would ship.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I noticed SAE hadn't ended their sale. They never really gave a hard date end though hinted a couple times at the end of May.
Honestly it really doesn't do them much good to raise prices now sicne they're gathering a bit of a slipstream of sales due to TT's overload
of orders and underload of titles. I guess they decided either to continue it unannounced (or forgot the off button) or they'll send an email in a couple days announcing another extension

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The advantage to SAE is that they still have stock of some of the things that TT already sold out. Otherwise, there's really no reason for anyone to pay more for a title at SAE until TT closes up shop at the end of the month. Unless they're willing to pay more to get something faster, which doesn't seem worth it to me in this situation personally.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

SOLD OUT MONDAY on TTM

None

SOLD OUT TUESDAY on TTM
ANGEL (AKA DANNY BOY / 1982) SOLD OUT -- 2 units returned late last night and sold out early this morning
CHATO'S LAND (1972) SOLD OUT

LOW STOCK at TTM
Noon ET June 2
LAWMAN (1971) 11
WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? (1957) 15
GIDGET (1959) 14
THE BLACK STALLION RETURNS (1983) 17
CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE (1947) 18

OKLAHOMA CRUDE (1973) 24
BROKEN LANCE (1954) 31
TRUE STORY OF JESSE JAMES, THE (1957) 55
WARLOCK (1959) 60
QUIET AMERICAN, THE (1958) 75
SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER (1959) 79
THE CHASE (1966) 95
BLUE DENIM (1959) 125
BOBBY DEERFIELD (1977) 145
IN MY COUNTRY (2004) 156
X Y & ZEE (1972) 163
GENGHIS KHAN (1965) 164
BENEATH THE 12-MILE REEF (1953) 165
BANDOLERO! (1968) 180
RUSSIA HOUSE, THE (1990) 195
THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN (1954) 196

Best Sellers on MONDAY - individual units sold June 1
WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? (1957) 16
PIN UP GIRL (1944) 12
HELLO, FRISCO, HELLO (1943) 10
BIG FIX, THE (1978) 6
STAGECOACH (1966) 4
SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER (1959) 4
THE CHASE (1966) 4
WARLOCK (1959) 4

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I also just saw that 2 long sold out items returned to stock with significant copies (not just 1-2 isolated)

GIDGET (1959) 14
THE BLACK STALLION RETURNS (1983) 17

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I also just saw that 2 long sold out items returned to stock with significant copies

How does this happen? I don't need either of those titles personally but find that fascinating, especially since Twilight Time is not accepting returns.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not sure.

It could be cumulative cancellations from a bulk sellers or cumulatively from a bunch of little orders -- rejected CC once TTM processed things or stolen CC reported prior to shipping a large order, or people starting to dispute charges forcing a cancel. It could be that TT inventory wasn't quite right initially OR after the first day they reset the OOS to be more conservative and leave a few reserve copies once they realized they seemingly oversold a few items. Virtually none of these RETURN to sales items came from that 1st couple days. The single copy put backs make a little sense, but a dozen plus is a bit harder to explain especially not knowing, During the 1st wave of sales there were a bunch of items that would go up in stock by a few copies or even sell out and come back, but they'd often sell out again pretty fast if there was only a few units returned. A lot of those went completely unnoticed.

There were at least two items that returned nearly 100 units for sale after they originally counted down normally for Sell Out. Those were a bit easier to see.

The oversell/cancellations seemed to have stopped. I haven't read of someone reporting a new cancel/refund in almost 10 days. Despite the seeming flood of reports at the end of that 1st 6-7 days, I could only find 34-35 units that were confirmed refunded (12 of those were 2 buyers) and now at least a couple thousand units shipped. The worry and howl of expected mass cancelled orders/items was somewhat premature it appears though more notices could certainly come later. It seems a steady number of thsoe 5/10 and 5/11 orders of all sized are now be marked shipped.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks like a couple titles on life support at SAE. I may not even get the post up before they sell out. Interesting that TTM also just returned 1 unit of JULIA and CINDERELLA LIBERTY for order

JULIA -- SOLD OUT
TONY ROME / LADY IN CEMENT (1967 / 1968) (BLU-RAY)-- 10 copies left at SAE

Nothing else currently listed under 50 at SAE

SOLD OUT WEDNESDAY on TTM
CINDERELLA LIBERTY SOLD OUT
JULIA SOLD OUT

LOW STOCK at TTM
Noon ET June 3

LAWMAN (1971) 6
GIDGET (1959) 15
WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? (1957) 14
CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE (1947) 16
BLACK STALLION RETURNS, THE (1983) 17
OKLAHOMA CRUDE (1973) 19

BROKEN LANCE (1954) 28
TRUE STORY OF JESSE JAMES, THE (1957) 48
WARLOCK (1959) 56
QUIET AMERICAN, THE (1958) 69
SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER (1959) 72
THE CHASE (1966) 90
BLUE DENIM (1959) 122
BOBBY DEERFIELD (1977) 144

Best Sellers on TUESDAY - individual units sold June 2
STAGECOACH (1966) 11
LAWMAN (1971) 9
SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER (1959) 8
THE CHASE (1966) 8
WILD IN THE COUNTRY (1961) 7
QUIET AMERICAN, THE (1958) 6
TRUE STORY OF JESSE JAMES, THE (1957) 6
UNTAMED (1955) 6
WARLOCK (1959) 6

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Certainly took far longer than I expected for even one of the to sell out and I'm absolutely stunned that Tony Rome is still available.

JULIA -- SOLD OUT at both sites again.
TONY ROME -- still 10 copies left at SAE

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks