Sadly, Robert Urich Dies at 55 From Cancer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Actor Robert Urich dies from cancer at age 55

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Robert Urich, an Emmy-winning actor best known for his starring roles in Soap and Spenser: For Hire, has died after battling cancer. He was 55.

Urich died Tuesday morning at a hospital in Thousand Oaks surrounded by family members and friends, publicist Cindy Guagenti said.

Urich announced in 1996 that he was suffering from synovial cell sarcoma, a rare cancer that attacks the body's joints. The cancer went into remission after he underwent chemotherapy, radiation treatments and two operations.

Urich earned his first television role in the 1973 comedy series Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice. He also appeared in the TV series S.W.A.T before being cast as Peter Campbell in Soap.

One of Urich's most recognizable roles came as private detective Dan Tanna in Vega$.He later starred in another detective series Spenser: For Hire, which was based on Robert Parker's novels.

More recently, Urich appeared in The Lazarus Man, and the brief NBC sitcom Emeril.

Born in Toronto, Ohio, Urich won a football scholarship at Florida State University. He later earned a master's degree in broadcast research and management from Michigan State University.

Urich briefly worked in Chicago as a radio sales agent and a television meteorologist. Burt Reynolds helped Urich land his first major role, co-starring as his younger brother in a stage production of The Rainmaker.

Urich appeared in several television miniseries and cable specials. He won an Emmy for his narration of the cable documentary U-Boats: Terror on Our Shores. He also won a Cable ACE award as host of the National Geographic series On Assignment.

Urich spent his latter years devoted to cancer research and education. He and his wife, Heather Menzies, established the Heather and Robert Urich Fund for Sarcoma Research at the University of Michigan to accelerate the pace of research into sarcoma.

He is survived by his wife; three children, Allison, Ryan and Emily; two brothers; a sister; and his mother.

A memorial service is scheduled for Friday in Los Angeles.

2. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

May he rest in peace [​IMG] I didn't even know he'd been battling cancer.
    Thanks for the memories, Robert. Godspeed.

3. Ross Waite

Ross Waite Stunt Coordinator

Farewell, Mr. Urich.

"We are all at a loss when a simple man of honor is diminished from our ranks."

Robert Urich - Spencer: For Hire

4. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Sad.[​IMG]

5. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

My condolences are with Mr. Urich's family. May they be okay in this time of suffering. Godspeed from me also, Robert.

P.S,

Warner Home Video has gotta get off their ass and get "The Ice Pirates" on DVD soon.

Sincerely,

John "It's on Starz! in a few minutes...I think I'll watch it!" Kilduff

6. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I'm very sad, as I have watched Robert Urich since he was on SWAT. I was a kid who had all the SWAT action figures, and his figure was always my favorite.

Cancer is such an ugly thing. Please give to the American Cancer society, so we can rid this before it takes any more of our friends.

7. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Wasn't he one of the cops in MAGNUM FORCE as well? I really enjoyed him in that MOW about the crippled jet where he was called "Lucky." He will be missed!

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Very depressing.

9. Jack Fanning

Jack Fanning Second Unit

Jack Fanning
    Rest in Peace Jake Spoon

10. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Jordan,

Yeah, he was one of the corrupt cops in Magnum Force. As a matter of fact, Encore just showed a documentary on the Dirty Harry series that Robert hosted. I'm not sure when it was made.

11. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I always enjoyed seeing him on talk shows. He had a very wry sense of humor and his acting reminded me of James Garner. He was a good actor, but never seemed to take himself seriously. We will miss you Robert Urich.

12. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I will always remember him from SWAT, Vega$, and of course, Spencer: For Hire. But his cameo on Cheers was memorable as well. BTW, I remember seeing his home theater setup in Home Theater Interiors. Great actor who doesn't take himself seriously. He will be sorely missed. RIP, Bob.

13. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Welcome Home, Dear Friend [​IMG]

14. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

Sad to see him go, especially being a fellow alumni from Michigan State University. In fact both he and I have our Master's in Broadcast Management from MSU.

He spoke at State once when I was in undergrad and he was such down to earth, funny, well spoken man. In other words a Spartan.

15. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

With his appearances in recent infomercials, I thought he had the cancer thing licked. This is a surprise and sad news.

16. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

55 is too young to go. [​IMG]
    My heart goes out to his family.

17. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

I think he was a regular in more TV series than any other actor.

I didn't know about the illness, either. The past year or so I've seen/heard him a lot in ads for a retirement community in central FL.

18. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    Rest well, Captain.
    I liked Love Boat: The Next Wave--especially Joan Severance as the cruise director[​IMG]