Sad news...........

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DonnyD, May 5, 2004.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Guys, I never post anything personal such as I am about to but HTF has been my mainstay for several years now and the results of rubbing shoulders with the people here has given myself and my SO much much enjoyment in our home theater and movie experiences. Neither of us "party" at all as our life revolves around caring for our 8 year old son who was born a "hemi" which is a form of cerebral palsy that affects one side. Together we have fought our way through it and our son, although very weak and spastic on one side, has excelled in school and there is nothing he won't attempt. He's been the "tie that binds" and has given she and I a common purpose and he has far exceeded everything we were told about when he was diagnosed at 6 months old..........

Yesterday, after being pretty sick for a while, my SO, Gail, finally went to a doctor. She's always been a healthy person and also has been resistant to being "checked out" for anything. The doc ordered a CT scan which has revealed breast cancer that has already spread to her bones, particularly her spinal column, and possibly her liver and pelvic region. Further tests today to determine the type of cancer, what else is involved and the approach and options for treatment. The most immediate concern is for the cancer in her spinal column which could quicly lead to paralysis if it does not respond to treatment.

So, my partner of 10 years is in sad shape. She's 43 and I'm 54 and it's been evident for several years that we were gonna be together the rest of our lives. Now, that union is being assaulted in a cruel way.

We are both fairly religious people and I do put faith in God's will to be done and I am sure that this task is not beyond his power. I simply ask that my favorite forum pray for us.

2. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

My prayers are with you. Hit this beast head on and hard. Always remember to be strong for her.

3. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

Thats horrible, horrible news, Donny.

I wish ya'll the best, & will keep you in my prayers.

- Cam

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Thank you for posting this Donny. Myself and my family will be praying for you, Gail and your family.

One of my very favorites, Numbers 6:24-26.

5. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Donny ... all the best wishes to you and your family through this tough time. Be positive and beat this thing !!!

6. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Donny,

I hear you, and I feel your pain. I haven't mentioned this to anyone here (I find it difficult to articulate myself when I discuss the issue), but last June my mother was diagnosed with an extremely agressive form of cancer. She's recently finished her chemo, but we found out last week that there's been some spread to a region that can not be operated upon, and a different approach is now necessary to treat (not cure) the cancer. Needless to say, this is very difficult news to cope with, but there really is no other choice.

So instead of languish in the negatives, I'm going to give you some pointers on what I've learned from my experiences over the past year.

Like with Real Estate (Location, Location, Location), there are three main components to dealing with Cancer. Attitude, Attitude, Attitude. Stay focused, and stay positive. It's very easy to be upset & depressed about the situation (believe me, I know), but they are still with us, and there is still hope. Try not to allow yourself to lose hope, and remember that the human immune system is very highly tied-in to our emotional state. Every cancer patient needs their immune system to be at it's peak performance during treatment.

Modern Medical science, as questionable & inconclusive that it may be, is a lot more advanced that you may think. At this very moment, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of different drugs & treatments in development to cure cancer.

During the course of my mother's treatment, I introduced her to a lot of different things to keep her mind off her situation. I introduced her to the Harry Potter & Lord of the Rings series' (two series' that I never thought my mom would read) to entertain herself. She is now a BIG fan of both! I also introduced her to a children's author whom I used to adore, and still enjoy on a regular basis - Gordon Korman. He's got a gift for escapism & helping you forget your problems. As bad as things may seem, it always helps to try and escape the situation - it's better than languishing in it.

Remember that a lot of people have gone through similar situations, and cancer is a common problem today. I'm sure that there are support groups & people to whom you could go for advice & emotional support if necessary. Just remember, neither of you are alone.

Take care, and all the best.

Moe.

7. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

That's horrible news but my father-in-law was riddled with cancer and through the power of prayer, he is healed. Donny, you're entire family is in our prayers.

Great verse Ron. Thanks as I needed that as well.

8. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes Supporting Actor

Hugh Jackes
    Donny,

I am so sorry to hear of your terrible news. I cannot offer advice on cancer, but I keep you, your Gail, and your son in my thoughts and prayers.

I can offer advice on getting through the ordeals that life continues to throw in our way. Seek out and surround yourself with a tight circle of family and friends. Without my bride, my son Dennis, and an incredible support system of friends, I would have given up a thousand times since December. Hold your family close and be flexible. Bend like a tree in the winter gails.

Ron-P's citation was perfect. I'm not prone to thumping my good book, but might I also suggest 1 Cor 13:4-7? You and Gail need each other's love now.

Please keep us informed.

Peace,

Hugh

9. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Donny, what terrible news!

Best wishes to you and Gail!!!!

10. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

Prayers sent Donny. I lost my mother to ovarion Feb 29th and my dad to lung ca back in 91. Cancer is a terrible disease. Make sure she's comfortable, don't let her suffer.

11. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I'm with you DonnyD.

I'm going through the cancer thing with my Mom. She had breast cancer about 12 years ago and was healthy until about 3 months ago she starts on Chemo again in about 2 weeks.

Be strong for her!

Brent

12. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Donny, that is horrible news, but know that you, Gail and your son will be in my prayers.

Please as others have said, keep us informed.

13. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Very sad news Donny, my prayers are with you. Unfortunately cancer has been a problem in my family as well with my Grandmother, in fact my father died when I was a baby from Lymphoma. Hope things cheer up for you.

14. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Sad news indeed. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Gail and the rest of your family.

15. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

I'm very sorry Donny. I'll be sure to send out a special prayer for you all tonight. If you need to let something out, feel free to have a shoulder to lean on. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

16. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. We now know that we are dealing with an agressive and advanced cancer and the long road hasn't begun yet. Tests will be back to detail exactly how much else is affected. We already know that the bones in her spine and her liver has been invaded.

Those verses in Numbers 6 are so powerful.....

I am also reminded of Isaiah 40:31....

We must believe..........

17. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I guess some are tested more than others. I will pray for her.... I think I have more "leverage" praying for others than myself......

Eric S.

18. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

Donny, my condolences. Be strong for the both of you. All the best.

19. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Even though I don't know you personally, this touches me very much. You are strong and love will keep up that strength. Of course, my prayers will be with you and yours. I just wish from the bottom of my heart that there was something I could do. As soon as I click off, the prayer will be sent. Like you, I have deep faith. Bless you and your family Donny.

20. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Sorry to hear your news Donny.

My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer this past December (she's only 38). The Doc decided that we should do chemo first, then the surgery.

She had 4 sessions of chemo over 9 weeks... got sick, lost her hair. But between all of the chemo and prayers, the cancer which was the size of a ping pong ball, was completely destroyed. When the surgery was performed, there was nothing left to remove and nothing had spread to the lymph nodes. Miracles do happen.

She will finish her first week of radiation treatment tomorrow and has six more weeks to go.

You can be sure that you are in our prayers. Hang in there.