SACD's - Gloria Estefan and others

Discussion in 'Music' started by Wes Larkins, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Wes Larkins

Wes Larkins Stunt Coordinator

Hey

Im new to SACD, I bought my Sony unit in December and I love it I cant wait for more releases. I am a huge Gloria Estefan fan, and her new MultiChannel release of her Greatest Hits album is awesome, along with the Stereo 2-channel Alma Caribeña: Caribbean Soul.

Celine Dion's Multichannel Discs are awesome also these cd's have are so awesome. I have 2 others Jennifer Lopez On The 6 and Ricky Martin Sound Loaded on Stereo, these things put out so much sound.

I have a Bose 5.1 Home Theatre System and I replaced my old Sony DVD Player, with this DVD/SACD player that got some great reviews in Sound & Vision and Stereophile Guide To Home Theatre.

It took me a while to figure how to set up the sound, by adjusting the receiver and what not. SACD's always sounded great right from the start, but it seemed like I was getting much sound out of the back or the 2 side speakers. Well found out why, on your receiver you can adjust channel output adjustment, mine goes from -12 to 8 the output level, well I had the back speakers at the highest out put and I had the center channel at 5 when 8 is the max, so I turned it down from -2 to 0, depending on weither im listening to a multichannel or stereo I keep it from -2 to 2 (this is the center channel output) this made a HUGE difference, and it made it sound 25 times better than before cause I could hear more from the 2 front side and 2 back speakers and a louder surround sound effect.

If any of you have this problem try adjusting that it makes a huge difference

email me if u need any help ill try

thanks

2. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

I thought that celine dion'a greatest hits and gloria Estefan's greatest hits both had very bad 5.1 mixes. They were nothing more then some echoey reverb in the rears that i could have done myself with dsp on my amp.

3. Wes Larkins

Rob you better check your speakers or ears or head or somethin man.

I didnt hear no low budget cheap nothing coming out of my speakers, the surround effects seemed like they were top of the line. Im a huge Gloria Estefan fan and have heard all of those songs 8 billion times, and when I first heard them in 5.1 it was like listening to them for the very first time. Im a big big big Gloria collector, have over id say 300 things from CD's, CD Singles, 3" CD Singles, Cassettes, Cassette Singles, LP's 12" 7" VHS, DVD, Laserdisc LOL!

But I disagree with you there I didnt here nothing shitty about her GH SACD, I thought it was done better than Celine's myself. But ive listened to these songs many many times and could prolly sing em in my sleep lol, but no no these are awesome Im so amazed by SACD, I cant wait for more releases.

How much better could you get, unless I had Gloria in front of me singing in my theatre. But yet again Im new to SACD, but not new to surround sound, im finding out more and more all the time, finally got my Bose System set up the way I want it but im thinking of adding 2 more speakers on the sides for 7.1 Surround Sound but im not in any hurry im amazed by what I have, the only thing I really want to do is that I would like to buy a better receiver a newer one I bought my system in 97 or 98, and we never used it because we didnt have DVD and didnt realize what I had until I got DVD. I had Laserdisc which is far far far better than watchin a crappy VHS tape and I knew about surround sound but wasnt as into as much as I am now.

Rob, what kind of system do you have and what kind of SACD player what type of set up do you have. reply soon Id like to talk to you maybe ask you some stuff if you dont mind, again im sorta new to this. But ive come along way since December when I got SACD and realized I didnt have things set up on my receiver like I should have had to begin with and I made things sound a hell of a lot better.

Ive also got Gloria's Alma Caribena SACD which is 2 channel Stereo SACD, and at first before the other day when I thought of changed the volume level on the center channel

Do you know what I mean when I say when im talking about adjusting the volume level on center and rear (my onkyo receiver allows only to adjust the center and the rear, I believe some now let you adjust each speaker)

I bought a Sony DVD/SACD/CD Player and replaced my old Sony DVD player and when I hooked this one up it was more advanced how to set up surround sound and other things and it took me a while to figure out how to get right (well what I think is the best right now). When I got it all set up right and listened to SACD I could tell a difference, but I tested it on my parents and see if they could tell a differece I put the same CD a reg and SACD Glorias GH and they said well it sounds louder thats all and I knew it wasnt right because I wasnt hearing much come from the back speakers. Especially listening to Stereo SACD, I could tell a little difference but not what I was expecting, I was expecting a little bit more.

But the other day I adjusted the Level control of the center channel which was set on +5 the back had always been at the max +8. So I turned down the center to -2 and then to 0 and tried it and I fixed it I could hear it 10 times better than before the surround sound effects and everyone else could to and also I heard a major difference in the 2 channel discs I was glad with that because before I wasnt impressed with those because I didnt think they were that much more from a CD, now I think they do big time.

But theres always someone that thinks otherwise, just like some prefer listening to LP's over CD's

Again Im new at this so I may sound like total idiot lol, but anyway email me tell me what you got

How many SACD's do you have ?

Ive have:

Gloria-Greatest Hits - Multi/Stereo
    Gloria - Alma Caribena - Stereo
    Celine - All The Way - Multi/Stereo
    Celine - A New Day Has Come - Multi/Stereo
    Jennifer Lopez - On The 6 - Stereo
    Ricky Martin - Sound Loaded - Stereo

I have reg CD's of all of these albums also, so I could tell a major difference from these from the regular cd its worth the money if your into some awesome music

I plan on gettig some more Im interested in these, if you have them let me know how they are:

Mariah Carey - #1's - Stereo
    Aerosmith - o, Yeah Ultimate Aerosmith Hits - Stereo
    Top Gun Soundtrack - Stereo
    Michael Jackson - Thriller - Stereo
    Babyface - The Day - Stereo
    Destiny's Child - Survivor - Multi/Stereo
    Billy Joel - The Stranger - Multi/Stereo
    Billy Joel - 52nd Street - Multi/Stereo
    The Concert for New York City - Multi/Stereo

Jennifer Lopez - J.Lo - Multi/Stereo (has not be released yet will be released soon, says Sony Music in an email I received)

What other SACD's are there thats any good from other than Sony Music, much in the Pop/Rock field all Ive seen is Classical and Easy Listening Stuff im 20 lol, not into that kinda stuff, can you let me know anything

Also, are mainly most of the Multichannel CD's that arent Sony Music, mainly Hybrid Multichannel

Can you tell a difference from a Hybrid than a Single Layer

Email me if you want to or whatever

Later

Wes

4. John Milton

John Milton Second Unit

I've also got the Gloria Estefan: Greatest Hits SACD and I agree with Rob, it's a rather weak 5.1 mix. I wasn't impressed at all. I would love to see more pop music releases on SACD and DVD-A though... especially greatest hits albums. That way I won't be as tempted to rebuy each album by each artist I like. [​IMG]

5. Wes Larkins

Hey John

Are you a gloria fan have any of her other things?

Im not sure what you mean by weak lol, I thought mine was awesome, I dont really know what else to expect. I was really impressed with it put it up to the regular CD, and is your center channel level down a bit, cause I adjusted my center channel volume level down to 0 sometimes -2 and it sounds alot better I can hear the back speakers and surround sound effects much better and louder

But im new at this, what other SACD's do you have

I do know that Jennifer Lopez's J.Lo SACD Multichannel/Stereo is coming out soon

email me at [email protected] if you dont care

later

6. RobBenton

A lot of people have also agreed that the gloria and celine hits discs had very week 5.1 mixes. Maybe since you havnt heard a lot of 5.1 discs you dont know a really good mix yet?

7. Wes Larkins

Tell me one that does

Im not sayin you all are wrong, dont get me wrong here, im new at this stuff

Recommend some for me

What all do you have ?

8. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

For good 5.1 mixes (IMHO) try:
    Mary-Chapin Carpenter - time* sex* love*
    Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (actually a 4.1 mix)
    Pink Floyd - DSOTM
    Alison Krauss + Union Station - New Favorite
    in no particular order.
    Tom
    P.S. I'm no fan of either Celine or Gloria.

9. Wes Larkins

Ill pass on all that crap

10. RobBenton

Mary chapin carpenter's disc is both well written and good music and the 5.1 mix is very good. I happen to like amanda marshall's disc as well... it is very aggressive but fun to listen to and good pop music. The police greatest hits disc is a good option too.

11. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Wes, are you trying to start trouble here? You called someone's suggestions, which you asked for, "crap", and you suggested that another member have his ears checked. Not everyone is going to agree with you, nor is everyone going to like the same music as you. If you don't like the suggestions someone offers up, simply respond by saying that those titles are not of interest to you. If someone says they don't like the mixes you like, respond by simply saying that you like the mix for certain reasons, whatever they may be, and agree to disagree.

I think you could tone it down a bit.

13. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

14. John Milton

John Milton Second Unit

I have nine SACDs thus far, six of which have 5.1 mixes. Gloria's is by far the worst. FWIW, I've never been a big fan of Pink Floyd's but after reading numerous reviews stating what an outstanding 5.1 remix TDSOTM had been given I bought it to check it out. It's easily the best sounding 5.1 disc I own and that's including DVD-As. [​IMG] If you want a good idea of how good a 5.1 mix can sound I recommend you spend the $14 shipped it costs at CircuitCity.com and get ready to be blown away!

15. Wes Larkins

LOL!!!!

[​IMG]

16. John Milton

John Milton Second Unit

O-kay. [​IMG]

17. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Wes I see you have only been a member here for three days and are already making a bad name for yourself. People here are genuinely trying to help you and then you put down their suggestions. I think you need to realize people have opinions that are different from your own, or you are just flat out trolling for trouble.

Either way, I wish you well, and hope you receive great enjoyment from the J.Lo SACD when it comes out.

J

18. Wes Larkins

Hey

Im not wanting to start trouble I never intended it to be like that If youll see in my first posts that I said that I am new at this stuff and that the rest of you are a lot better than I am at this stuff and I agree with that, but I didnt mean to sound like that when I put crap Sorry about that. Im just not into that kind of music Im more into Pop music. But Im sorry about making you all mad I didnt intend that, again I am NEW at this and I just dont understand how the sounds are weak BUT I am NEW at this lol!!! I only have 3 multichannel discs so hopefully Ill find something with a lot of sound up beat kind of music.

But hey Im sorry for the crap comment I dont want to make waves no more so again Im sorry, but thanks for the emails and the suggestions by the way.

Sorry guys

Take care everyone

Wes

19. RobBenton

DVD-A might be more suited to you as they have more pop releases in surround format then SACD does.

20. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Wes, I think you should pick up DARK SIDE OF THE MOON purely because it's argubly the best M/C mixig yet and it's cheap. It may not be your favourite cup of tea but there aren't alot of pop titles out. It ought to demonstrate your system rather well too. I bet you could impress your friends with it. If you like pop, do you also like R & B? Most of it's pretty popish. Luther Vandross, Babyface, Isley Brothers, Kandi, and Peter White haves releases. They're not all M/C. I like the M/C mix on Peter White's GLOW. If you haven't heard him, it's all instrumental, he plays guitar, it's pop-y jazz. He's rather good at what he does if you ask me.

You'll experience widely scattered oppinions about M/C mixes around here if you read around. Myself, I don't like it if they're panning instruments around the channels to be cute. I prefer a natural soundstage. That's just me. Highly produced, sound effect ladden stuff like Pink Floyd doesn't sound natural in the first place. There's nothing unnatural about cash registers and bells in the rear channels with them, eh?

There's a rather large amount of SACD knowledge around here. I've been doing SACD for over 3 years now, BTW. Be cool and you'll be privy to it and soon you can become a proffessional, expert authorty too, Weedhopper! [​IMG] Best wishes!