Sacd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelGomez, Jan 29, 2002.

1. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

So that I don't make a mistake, is there anything important to know about SACD players. For instance, can you hook them up to most receivers? Is there anything that I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks

Mike

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Your receiver must have at least one set of multi-channel analog inputs. Not all receivers have this feature.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Well, your receiver must have a set of 5.1-channel inputs if you plan on playing multi-channel SACDs. If you are only interested in stereo playback, you can use a standard pair of stereo analog inputs on your receiver. Just make sure your receiver has an analog bypass mode in using the stereo analog inputs to take advantage of SACDs higher resolution. If you don't engage an analog bypass mode, the incoming analog signals will be routed through your receiver's A/D and D/A converters, which will lead to degradation. Especially noteworthy is that your receiver has PCM DACs, not DSD DACs that can decode SACD in its native state. If the analog signals from SACDs are converted to digital and then to analog via a PCM DAC, you are no better off than listening to CDs. If your receiver has 5.1-channel inputs, they should bypass the A/D and D/A converters by default.

Note that you cannot use the digital outputs on SACD players for playback of SACDs. The digital outputs work for CDs only.

4. MichaelGomez

Thanks. I have a Sony str-DA555ES receiver and it has the 5.1 inputs. I am not sure about the dual analog inputs. I'll have to check on that one.

MIke

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, of course your 'DA555ES has stereo analog inputs, as those are used for all stereo sources (CD players, cassette decks, VCRs, MD decks, etc.). However, I don't believe the 'DA555ES has analog bypass. The 'DA777ES from the same model year does, but I believe it was the only Sony receiver available at that time with analog bypass. Sony added analog bypass to all of its ES receivers and a couple other models the year after.

6. MichaelGomez

what is analog by pass and how can I find out if my receiver has it. Also, what purpose does it serve in SACD. Thanks.

Mike

7. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Michael, your product manual should have some mention of an analog bypass/passthrough if it has one at all.

As for the purpose, Keith's first post above seemed pretty clear.

Martin.

8. MichaelGomez

I pulled out my manual and unfortunately it is about worthless.

I can tell this much. There are 5.1 inputs so that I can hook up an SACD player that way.

There is also a Prologic 2/0 Stereo PCM setting. Is this the same PCM that SACDs are encoded in? If so, could this be the analog bypass mode that you are all talking about? Thanks for the help. I have run out of things to buy and think that I would like to make this plung.

Originally, I was going for a progressive DVD player but my TV won't output the progressive signal.

Mike

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, PCM, or Pulse Code Modulation, is the encoding scheme used for CDs and DVD-Audio discs. SACD uses a different encoding scheme known as Direct Stream Digital, or DSD. So, you would not want to use the Pro-Logic mode with SACDs. That is not an analog bypass mode. As I said in an earlier post, I almost certain the 'DA555ES lacks analog bypass. I believe the only Sony ES receiver from that line that offered analog bypass was the top-of-the-line 'DA777ES. Sony offered analog bypass in more receivers the year after your 'DA555ES was offered. In any event, you could use the 5.1-channel inputs on the 'DA555ES for SACD (stereo and multi-channel).

10. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I have a DA333ES, and while it doesn't have an explicit "analog bypass" switch, you can accomplish the same thing by turning the "sound field" off for a particuar input (like CD, for example). This bypasses all digital processing, including bass management, loudness, EQ, surround decoding, "stadium" modes, and so forth.

Ryan

11. MichaelGomez

Thanks for all the help guys. I would hate to go out and buy one and then realize that I couldn't get the full benifits.
    I did that with my TV. My wife didn't want me to spend the money on an HDTV so I bought a 32" Panasonic. I thought that I would be able to utilize progressive DVD. [​IMG] To bad for me. Some day when all the HDTV garbage becomes more set, I might be able to get one. Till then. . .
    Mike

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ryan, thanks for the information on the 'DA333ES, which I presume applies to the 'DA555ES as well.