SACD vs DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Beck, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Andrew Beck

Andrew Beck Stunt Coordinator

I know what you're thinking, not another thread on this [​IMG]
    this one should be a bit different, that's why I'm creating a new thread instead of posting in an existing thread.
    As I've said before my DVD player is going to die. I wanted to wait to replace it with a nice universal player, or better yet wait until the 'format war' dust settles and I have a better idea of what the future holds. Since it doesn't appear that my pannie dvd-a110 is going to make it that long (i'm often suprised it last these 5 years), I need to buy something now.
    I've narrowed my choices to the toshiba 4700 and the sony dvp-ns500v. basically I think these players are pretty equal. I think the sony has the edge on red book playback, but the toshiba has mp3 (not a huge deal, but maybe fun to play with) and progressive scan (unimportant now, but if DVD-Audio did win the format war, it might be a big deal). Really the choice doesn't come to down to which player, it comes down to do I want SACD or DVD-Audio. So far, I'm leaning towards SACD, however is there anywhere I can go to see what titles are avaliable on each format? which titles are going to be released soon? and which record companies are supporting one format, but no the other? The avalibalilty of the software is what's going to drive this decision.
    Of course if by magic pioneer released their universal player in the $500 range, I would pay the extra for that baby.
    Andrew

2. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
  3. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Oh BTW, note that most SACDs are only two-channel right now, but multi-channel discs are increasing.

Also, I'm a bit confused as to why progressive scan would be important only if DVD-A "wins"

4. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

did you catch the thread on the new pioneer dvd,sacd dv audio player. Its apperently out in europe, with exchange it s apparentlt 800 dollars - may be worth the wait.

PS; progressive scan as well.

5. Andrew Beck

Andrew Beck Stunt Coordinator

Craig,

Right now I have an interlaced TV, so progressive scan is not needed. I am buying a player now with the idea in mind of upgrading later to a player that has progressive scan, and supports the format(s) that is/are finalized (SACD, DVD-A, or both). If i bought the toshiba, and DVD-A is declared the winner, I wouldn't have to upgrade the DVD player as soon as the sony. Even if SACD is declared the winner the sony would eventually need upgrading to support progressive scan.

6. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    The Pioneer 747 has been introduced in Japan and supports SACD. I don't think the price has been announced in U.S. yet, but it sells for about 70,000 yen at discount stores in Tokyo. (about $ 550) There are several recent threads that discuss this player. It appears to have excellent specs and features.

7. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Andrew,
    Most DVD-A players are Progressive Scan, so it may not be an issue [​IMG] I am not sure about SACD players, so far there no SACDs I want so I haven't researched the players much.
    Roger,
    $550??? I bet not. I have seen it advertised in the UK, conversion price is $1200-$1300 which I expect will be in the ball park.