What's new

SACD Vs. DVD-A (1 Viewer)

justin_c_m

Auditioning
Hey guys

I'm fairly new to the forum. I was visiting my local best buy tonight and they had a SACD Demo going. This was my first time to hear SACD and I fell in love. My question is: What is the main difference between dvd-a and sacd? I searched and didn't find much on the issue. Also, what is a good SACD player for under $300? I'd like it to play dvd's as well. Thanks for any info.

Justin

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Both SACD (Super Audio CD) and DVD Audio are new formats, not just improvements to existing formats (e.g., Audio CD, DVD Video). Both offer vastly improved sound over Audio CDs and multichannel sound as well. (On nearly all DVD Audio discs, and on some SACDs.)

For playing SACDs, the most common choice is a combination SACD/CD player. For DVD Audio, it's a feature of many DVD Video players. There are even players that play all four formats (CD, SACD, DVD Video, DVD Audio). (Actually, such a player probably also plays Video CDs and Super Video CDs.)

Brian E

Screenwriter
There are even players that play all four formats (CD, SACD, DVD Video, DVD Audio). (Actually, such a player probably also plays Video CDs and Super Video CDs.)
The only one I've heard about is the Apex AD-7701 (which has gotten pretty bad reviews). Are there more? Or any that just do SACD/DVD-A/CD without the video stuff?

justin_c_m

Auditioning
OK...here's my next question. I have a philips/magnavox 5.1 DD system. Yes, I bought it at wal-mart, but you have to start out somewhere. Would it be worth the money to purchase a SACD player? Would the sound be as good when I got it home as it did at the store. I don't know exactly what setup they were using at Best Buy, but it sounded pretty damn good. I just don't want to go out and spend the money if I'm not gonna be happy with what I get. I guess the only real way to find out is to buy it and try it. Let me know what ya'll think.

Justin

Brian E

Screenwriter
I believe (98% sure) your receiver needs 6 channel analog inputs on it to take advantage of SACD or DVD-A. Do you know if yours does?

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
unless your receiver has 5.1 channel inputs, you will not enjoy either format. even hooking the left/right channels up to a 'cd player' input will not yield good results because the signal will be processed and you'll lose all the sound quality SACD has to offer. i'd recommend getting a decent receiver first, then some speakers, and finally a hi-res player last. the format is new, and if you invest later with better gear you'll be much happier...trust me!

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
Justin,

Remember SACD requires SACD requires analog inputs - a digital input will not do. You probably got that figured out, but better to ask dumb questions than waste lots of money.

Take care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks