What's new

SACD using my currenty reciever (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Im am looking for input from people that have SACD in there system. I have a Sony DVP-S9000 ES DVD/SACD player hooked up to my Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 Reciever. I am not convinced that my reciever is up to the task of playing SACD back to where I am getting the full audio bandwith. Although my owners manual does not have allot of specifications. It apears that the basic frequency response of the reciever is 20Hz to 20KHz. My DVD player is hooked up to the DVD input so I would like to get your input on this. I am planning on upgrading to at least a 6.1 system that has a better video section as not to degrade an HD signal. My Yamaha's video section is only good to 5MHz if I am correct. Anyway would I get a significant improvment in audio quality with a better flagship reciever or pre/pro? As far as SACD goes. I would love to get a SACD deck only that can play 5.1 discs as well. Am not sure if a multi player (dvd-a/sacd) that would most likely double as an dvd video player. Would match the performance of a nice high end player?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
If I understand the post correctly, you should be able to play SACD fine, only the most exotic gear is required for receiving information above 20K. Several SACD players also are fine as DVD players.

I think you could experience better audio quality with a better receiver or separates system.

The difference between a DVD video capable SACD player and a high end SACD player would likely be just marginal on a receiver-based system, although the story is different on a high end separates (or high end receiver) system.

I hope that helps. :)

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
If your current receiver has some kind of analog direct or bypass mode, then use that. Otherwise, it will use it's built-in A/D convertor to digitise the audio, run it through a DSP (for EQ, soundfields, whatever), and run it back through a D/A convertor to convert it back to analog. The sampling rate is unlikely to be higher that 48 kHz, which means that it will basically decimate the signal back down to around CD-quality. Another way to bypass the ADC-DSP-DAC process is to use the multi-channel (5.1) inputs. Because your SACD player is stereo-only, you will only connect the front L/R inputs, but that's OK. On all but a very small handfull of recent receivers, this input will bypass all signal processing and give a clear, short signal path to the volume control and amplifier section.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The SACD signal is analog going in it will not send a digital signal to my reciever in SACD mode. For what ever reasons Sony decided to have analog only out of the DVP-S9000 ES.

Yamaha RX-V995 Frequency Response 20Hz - 20 KHz
Sony DVP-S9000 ES Frequency Response 2Hz - 100 KHz (SACD)

I guess I am just hoping for better than 20Hz - 20KHz playback on high resolution sources like SACD DVD-A and DTS. I guess it would be important for DD as well but I dont like DD to much. I guess I can always select analog input so there is no analog to digital and back if that is what is happening? I guess that while my reciever is a decent reciever. I guess my needs have supassed what the unit is capable of?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Dave, look for a reciever/pre that has an analog bypass mode. Most recievers digitize all signals, digital or analog, process them, and then D to A them for amplification as Aaron described. If you have large, full-range speakers try using the L & R inputs of your 5.1 input. This may be the only way to avoid having the signal degraded (digitized & proccessed) with your current reciever. The 9000ES sounded grand with my Marantz AV9000 pre but it doesn't digitize any signal that comes in analog, any input. Best wishes!

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Dave, it is very unlikely that there is a real boundary at 20K if you are in analog bypass. The spec is probably just giving you some THD percentage from 20-20K which is where it is measured.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.