What's new

SACD updates from Sony (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Who is arguing for mainstream acceptance?

That would have as many drawbacks as advantages possibly.

I agree with you Phil that CD prices are way too high. It is oligopolostic pricing at its worst. (I blame the OPEC gas prices on the greens more than anyone else.)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Lee if SACD remains a niche format, it may well be that Blue-Ray or something that comes along in few yrs. with high res PCM may make it go away much sooner. I'm not complaining about its niche status, just that niche status is not as secure as something more mainstream. It's troubling that Sony is reissuing the Dylan stuff as CDs only (vs. hybrids) and is not putting out software to speak of. That is going to mean niche status for the format at best and leave it open to lose market momentum vs. DVD-A or anything that might come along with a bigger push. I guess by CES in Jan. 2005 we will have a better idea as to what my be happening.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Yeah, that DVDA push is frightening. ;) Maybe they will relaunch again for the fifth time. ;)

I just hope that both formats might be made dual standards or somehow unified during this window of opportunity of the new hi-definition video introduction. :)

In the mean time, Super Audio may remain MoFi The Sequel with more labels and more titles. That's still quite fun and rewarding.

Maybe Super Audio should co-brand with Wendy's...Can you imagine the cashier asking if you want to biggie size your resolution along with your combo? :D

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Just a brief nod to say that as upset as I am that my SACD player believes the year is 1972, I do enjoy Dylan now & then.

I just wish Sony would have people working for them who were more into "now" than "then."

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Oh, please, look at all of these comments from SH that you do not respond to:

Just came across this the other day - apologies if it's already been posted. I'm afraid it adds very little to the debate - in fact, I find it disturbingly uninformative, and a very half-baked and wasted promotional opportunity.... (referring to the same interview we are discussing here)

Sony seems to be all over the map these days. There's talk of the Dylan hybrids being replaced with remastered CDs while some single-layer SACDs seem to have been replaced with hybrids. Amazing.

Sony has such an excellent back catalog, it's a shame they're not mining it more.

If such comments were made here, you'd be scolding the posters for being negative or biased, or "retarded". Maybe you think the other forums wouldn't accept such unfounded complaints.

You claim there is bias in this thread...I don't see any. I see a lot of posters who love music and love SACD, and an 'infomercial-style' interview has prompted them to express very rational concerns (which you have not countered) about what the hell Sony is doing when they control the format and have a HUGE library that they are not leveraging.

We are not anti-SACD, we want more of the music we love on SACD! Sony is sitting on their hands! Why on earth do we expect more releases on miniscule labels like Koch and Audio Fidelity when Sony is sitting on this enormous library of popular music?

Sony was releasing a ton more titles back in their single-layer days, and these days they are hardly releasing anything. What the hell is going on?

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
#26 Justin,

What I don't understand here is, why do people think that cd will stay (or hard to fade away)?

Let me try to explain what I mean.. Here in Denmark we have got our first Danish DVD Audio disc from a Danish group - what I like here is that we have all the song in mp3 format too on the disc. So I don't need to download any msuic and it should be easy for everyone to play the disc were they have mp3 players (like in most new car players etc..) - So I can't see why there is a need for the cd format..

Another Danish artist have just released a new album for release only on Vinyl and mp3 format (downloading) no cd...

However I do agree about the funny thing! :)

Jesper

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

It surely won't. All the record stores I go to (er, CD stores) have fewer and fewer CDs every month. They keep remodelling themselves, giving more and more aisles to DVD, action figures, and PlayStation grames. The "new" CD section is dwindling, and the "used" CD section, while twice as large as it was a few years ago, seems on the wane as well.

And I'm talking about the popular record stores in New England, the Newbury Comics chain.

They've clearly got some kind of exit strategy underway.

Then you've got the chains like BestBuy where they only stock discs that are currently in print, and only a few of those. If CDs stopped production, their supply would be gone in a matter of weeks, not months.

I wonder what's going to replace it...

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
My suggestion would be kiosks that can (for a fee) load DRM-protected AAC and WMA tracks into portables that use USB and firewire.

This addresses the (larger) non-broadband and non-internet market.

Big retailers like Target and Best Buy could cut deals for exclusive windows of bonus tracks and pre-release singles.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I've noticed this at my local Costco: over the past 18 months, there are fewer CDs and more games. Still a good number of CDs, but not as many as before . . . and about the same as games, which they used to not have at all I don't think. As long as I've been going there, DVD has always eclipsed both in terms of depth of stock.

-p

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle

It seems to me that when the publishers decided that a hybrid SACD could have as many as 3 versions of an album on it and wanted 3X the normal royalty rate, Sony decided to fight it. They aren't going to release anything while that is up in the air. If the publishers win, Sony may decide the market isn't worth the low profit margin, or they may price the discs so high that nobody will buy them. Not a pretty picture either way.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
In case it's news to anybody, I see that CD Universe is listing the 5 aforementioned Kinks SACDs, to be released on 8/24 at a not unreasonable price of $11.56.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
In case it's news to anybody, I see that CD Universe is listing the 5 aforementioned Kinks SACDs, to be released on 8/24 at a not unreasonable price of $11.56.

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
I've managed to find and buy about a hundred SACD and DVDA releases that I like (primarily "moldie oldie" stuff). If the current hirez formats died tomorrow, I could live with it. Several audiophile-types who post regularly on HTF have basically given up on the current hirez formats - who can blame them? Something is screwed up. The way I see it, hirez fans have no choice but to get used to the trickle.:frowning:

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
I've managed to find and buy about a hundred SACD and DVDA releases that I like (primarily "moldie oldie" stuff). If the current hirez formats died tomorrow, I could live with it. Several audiophile-types who post regularly on HTF have basically given up on the current hirez formats - who can blame them? Something is screwed up. The way I see it, hirez fans have no choice but to get used to the trickle.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks