What's new

SACD updates from Sony (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Sony's possible release list could be about the size of Texas....

Santana, more por favor!
Edgar & Johnny Winter, although Johnny had a S-L that hardly anybody has....
Boz Scaggs
More Byrds
wasn't Chicago on Columbia?
The list could get so-ooo lengthy

They act like consumers aren't worthy of their best albums on SA-CD. The Philips' dude last year blurted out something to the effect that SACD wasn't secure enough. Makes you wonder more about why the big clam squeezed it's jaws shut and won't open, or it does me, anyway.

I'm dreaming of a more draconian SACD (2) being announced. How would they manage this draconian-ness? How could they screw up the format? Besides consumer concerns, how 'bout new and exciting ways to minimize the payments to the artists and writers. That sounds like the music industry I know.

What could you make worse about SACD? Copyguards so powder-full that they'll stop speeding tape decks and other recorders? That must be what SACD II might be + video stilles and lyrics...?

Sony ought to have to take a corporate breathizer test? How 'bout a competancy hearing?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member

I have over 700 CD's and am a huge music fan and purchaser of music, and yet I have never downloaded a single song either. I haven't even burned copys of my own discs. I have no idea how to even do it...so I guess it's possible that someout out there can be as naive about the process as I am.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

I think the point is that for someone in the music industry, wouldn't it be wise to familiarize himself with how a large portion of the general public gets their music?

It's no wonder the music industry is falling apart - they have no desire to adapt to consumer demands... or in this guy's case - to even investigate them.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
The interview with the Sony parrot has to be one of the funniest things I have read in quite some time. He either writes the PR releases for Sony or he was reading directly from past releases.

Th funniest question and answer is as follows;

If SA-CD is the defacto standard why doesn't your company release a few from time to time? Why is Universal the only major which regularly releases SA-CD in the United States market? Why are single inventory releases the exception and not the norm? Why did Sony particpate in the Dual-Disc testing?

It's just too funny.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Well it is good to see some new SA-CD releases coming down the line, but I am not sure what it will really do for the format.

Once again they are focusing on re-releasing fossil rock which has little appeal to anyone born the past 20-30 years. Don't get me wrong, I dig some of the earlier Kinks albums, but by the time I got serious about listening to music (and most people in my generation) the Kinks more or less belonged in the local wax museum (along with Elvis of course).

When people begin to explore the releases of artists which are "new" to them, they generally take the following pattern. Buy a greatest hits album or a couple of the more popular albums from an artist and leave it at that. These large back catalog title roll-outs for a single artist are great for the hardcore fans of that artist. For the normal casual fan, it doesn't do a thing. All along, I felt that Sony should have been putting out their "Essential" series as Hybrid SA-CD. These discs sell pretty well, and would be a great introduction to SA-CD for the casual fan. Oh well, maybe they will get it right when a new format comes along.

J

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Justin:

Exactly. It's sad, annoying and arguably not unlike some movie studios belatedly pulling their heads out with tardy (SE) DVD releases. I was in Costco last night looking at the newly-released (finally!) Wyatt Earp and thinking of Warner's release in August (finally!) of a GoodFellas SE, and also looking at MGM's new 2-disc SEs of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and The Great Escape ($18.99 at Costco!). After shitting out literally hundreds of movie-only releases for years, MGM finally seems to be catching on regarding how to do an SE for a non-Bond title . . . just in time to perhaps be acquired by Sony and see their 4,000+ title library possibly be used to help leverage BluRay's entry into the hi def DVD marketplace.

-p

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Maybe the next reunion tour ;)

In all honesty, with the current tour going on, now would be a perfect time to crack open the S&G vaults for a Sack-Dee release. Another missed opportunity.

J

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Where did it say that? Which ones are being released? (I skimmed thru the link before but I can't access the page now.)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
From HFR, the first 5 of 13 announced:

The Kinks - Muswell Hillhillies (Velvel Records VEL-SC-79801)

The Kinks - Misfits (Velvel Records VEL-SC-79802)

The Kinks - One For The Road (Velvel Records VEL-SC-79803)

The Kinks - Give The People What They Want (Velvel Records VEL-SC-79804)

The Kinks - Schoolboys In Disgrace (Velvel Records VEL-SC-79805

Whose to say the above titles won't be in the remaining 8?

I've gotten used to all the retarded Sony bashing by now, but let's at least the facts straight...

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Also, there is real progress on cheap SACD players from Sony and Toshiba has changed its stance and is offering universal models. That tells me something about the market:

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Lee:

What (press release?) are you quoting in your two immediately-previous posts por favor? It's not the link that Danny posted in starting the thread . . . and it can't be a Sony release mentioning Tosh players?? . . .

-p

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lee, you read the Hoffman Forum. Isn't it apparent to you that Sony is holding SA-CD consumers hostage over the publisher's cut? That certainly appears to be why the SA-CD's from Colubia & Epic have stopped...? They must be confident they're going to lose their lawsuit. Sony should stop beating around the bush and announce their real SA-CD intentions for the U.S., if any?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Um, I have my facts straight, but you sure don't.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Sony bashing, this is just disappointment from a Kinks fan that what many of us consider to be their best work will not be included in the announced SACD release.

How do we know?

We know because Koch = Velvel, and Velvel controls the following thirteen studio albums:

Muswell Hillbillies
Everybody's In Show-Biz
Preservation Act I
Preservation Act II
Soap Opera
Schoolboys In Disgrace
Sleepwalker
Misfits
Low Budget
One For The Road
Give The People What They Want
State Of Confusion
Word Of Mouth

The classic 60s output is controlled by Castle, which has nothing to do with Koch.

These are just the facts, this has nothing to do with any kind of Sony bashing (which of the two parties has control over which Kinks albums has nothing to do with Sony).

Sheesh.

"retarded Sony bashing"? I only see retarded Sony worship and denial.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Low Budget and Everybody's in Show-Biz are on Mofi (stereo) hybrids. I have Low Budget and it is outstandings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks