What's new

SACD to DVD-A receiver? (1 Viewer)

Andy_Hamric

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Technics SA-DA8 receiver which has the 6 analog inputs which were conceived for DVD-Audio. Can I connect an SACD to them and realize the full benefit?

I quote from the manual:

"Use analog input to enjoy the high-quality, 96 kHz or 192 kHz linear PCM and multiple channel linear PCM audio found on some DVD-Video and DVD-Audio."

The PCM thing has me a bit concerned since I don't know if SACD is PCM or not, or if that has any bearing.

Thanks!
Andy

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
SACD uses DSD instead of PCM, but that process is internal to the chipset in the SACD player. You can connect an SACD player to analog inputs. Some receivers may not be a straight analog pass-thru. Not familiar with your model. Some models via use of features like level controls or bass management may not do such functions in the analog domain which means it is done in a digital (PCM) domain. The same may be true of some SACD players with built in bass management. Lots of confusing and conflicting info out there.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

The multichannel analog inptus were not conceived specifically for DVD Audio. With the release of DVD players with digital outputs, and few receivers on the market which could utilize this connection, m/c analog inputs were implemented as a bridge for manufacturers to offer non-digital, or "Dolby Digital ready" receivers (sort of like HD ready TV, but you need an HD receiver) for use with DVD players that had their own decoding built in, or for use with an external Dolby Digital and/or DTS decoder, while digital recievers were being brought to market.

Analog is the ONLY way you can hook up an SACD player, with the exception of a few proprietary digital connections, generally on more expensive equipment, and limited to specific manufacturers at this time. In other words, you will get the full benefit of SACD via analog.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I would not worry too much about possible A/D conversions. The vast majority of receivers that have 6 CH inputs offer NO control whatsoever.

No BM, no level matching, no distance compensation, nothing. Its a straight shot to the volume control and then the power amp. And that is a good thing, if you are getting BM done either in the player or via an outboard box like the ICBM.

And even if there is channel balance on the 6 CH inputs, its better than even money that this will still be in the analog domain.

Those 6 CH inputs were, as John said, originally conceived with outboard DD/DTS decoders in mind (my old school Marantz SR-96 was one of the first to have them), but they also work quite nicely with DVD-A and SACD.

BGL

Andy_Hamric

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys! When I said "conceived for DVD-Audio" for the analog inputs, I should have said something like "Advertised by Technics (aka Panasonic) for DVD-Audio." No reason they would advertise someone else's format. Now all I need are some 5-channel cables and for my new sony 685 to arrive. Oh, and some SACD media might be nice too! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks