SACD Title Availabilities?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stan T, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

I'm getting ready to purchase the Pioneer Elite DV-47A DVD player that plays SACD & DVD-audio. I've been looking around online to find Madonna's "Immaculate Collection" & the "Titanic Soundtrack" on SACD. I haven't been able to find anyone online that carries these titles in stock. Does anyone know any place that has these 2 titles in stock.

I have done an extensive search to find these 2 titles but have been unsuccessful. Thanks for your help & replies.

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Stan, almost positive Madonna's "Immaculate Collection" is NOT available on SACD at all. I know the Titanic Soundtrack is available on this format and can be found in stock at... www.towerrecords.com (although they have low stock on this title right now).
    Hope this helps.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Stan, Madonna's Immaculate Collection is not available on SACD, but the soundtrack to Titanic is (stereo SACD). Web sites to check for the Titanic SACD include:
    www.acousticsounds.com
    www.elusivedisc.com
    www.amusicdirect.com
    www.towerrecords.com
    In addition, Best Buy stores sell SACDs, so you may be able to find it there. Circuit City stores also sell SACDs, but I can't recall seeing Titanic at their stores.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Good post Keith,
    Also try www.chesky.com....
    Acoustic Sounds is my favorite of the bunch.
    Lee

5. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply. Amazon had Madonna's "Immaculate Collection" listed as available on SACD but out of stock. I thought I remembered seeing it on SACD at a local Best Buy awhile back. That's why I'm confused as to whether it has been released on SACD or not. Amazon has been known to be wrong. So is it correct that it hasn't been released on SACD?

Tower Records also has "Carol King" Tapestry listed as a preorder on 3/5 for multi-channel SACD. Does anyone know if this is a good date. I was going to purchase the stereo SACD until I saw it listed as a multi-channel SACD preorder for 3/5.

Thanks for the Tower Records information on the Titanic SACD. That's one of the first ones that I want to get. How is the sound for this title?

I'm anxious to get started in SACD. I love DVD-audio. I can't wait for my player to get here.

6. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn
    There is also a Multi-Channel version of TITANIC on SACD, that I've been hearing about for ages that has yet to appear, at least here in Hawaii. I'm curious about this one since the DTS CD is just alright. There's a SACD catalog at Tower that has listings of forthcoming multi-Channel SACDs, which include Carole King's TAPESTRY and Jennifer Lopez's J.LO. I got the recently released SACD by Destiny's Child and it's quite good, as is the multi-channel version of Miles Davis' KIND OF BLUE (though I prefer the two channel mix on it). I'm also looking forward to the recently released Yo-Yo Ma CD where he plays the concert music of John Williams. It's supposed to be released on multi-channel SACD.

Cheers,

Harry

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Harrison,

I have not seen a multi-channel version on Titanic on SACD, nor have I heard of Sony's plans to release it. Celine Dion's All the Way...A Decade of Song, which includes "My Heart Will Go On", was recently released as a multi-channel SACD.

Stan,

Madonna's Immaculate Collection was absolutely not released on SACD. Amazon is wrong. I read on Audio Asylum a couple of weeks ago that Carole King Tapestry is slated to be released as a multi-channel SACD soon. So, the March 5th release date could be correct.

8. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

The multichannel Titanic will be coming. It is in Sony's last 2 SACD brochures as well as on their SACD electronics site. No confirmed date yet, but I would say wait for this version. The DTS CD is very nice and can hardly wait to upgrade.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

10. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I'm certain that The Immaculate Collection has never been available on SACD. Madonna is a Warner artist - and one of their all-time biggest selling ones at that, so when she does begin to appear, it will probably be on DVD-A first (especially since Warner is 90% behind them). I could not think of a better boost for the DVD-A format than to get her early catalog out on it, though I know her later albums would probably sound much better on the format than the older ones.

Reg

11. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn
    KeithH:

I was able to pick up the MC version of the Celine Dion disc and listening to it I noticed several interesting changes. The mixes on BEAUTY & THE BEAST and IT'S ALL COMING BACK TO ME NOW are different from the mixes on the regular CD release, and the SACD uses the full length version of TO LOVE YOU MORE as opposed to the radio edit. The mix on BEAUTY is particularly interesting since it features vocal licks and harmonies that have never been heard until now. The overall sound on this disc is terrific.

Cheers,

Harry

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Harrison,

I have the Celine Dion stereo SACD and agree that it sounds great. I also have the CD, but frankly, I have not listened to it much since getting the SACD. The differences you noted between the two discs are interesting.

Reggie,

I agree with everything you said about Madonna and DVD-Audio. Excellent points.

13. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn
    I went and gave the multi-channel Celine Dion disc another listen and noticed this: basically all of the multi-channel mixes are different. However, the two-channel mixes on the same disc, are the standard mixes. Interesting isn't it? I know some would argue, "Of course they're different, their new multi-channel mixes!" and to that I agree, but what I like about this is that the mixes exist nowhere else (aside from the studio masters) but on the multi-channel SACD! Now if that isn't an incentive for Celine fans to invest in a player I don't know what is! [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Harry

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Harrison, O.K., I see your point. I thought you were saying that the stereo SACD track and CD were different. I am not surprised that the multi-channel mix is very different than what you hear in stereo. The multi-channel SACD is on my wantlist, but not at the top since I already have the stereo SACD.