What's new

SACD Through Receiver Without 5.1 input (1 Viewer)

mikeabt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I have an Onkyo TX-NR717 receiver which does not have 5.1 input. Does anyone know of a switch that allows 5.1 input to HDMI output (I assume that a digital coax or Toslink output could work as well). If such switch exists I assume that could use this between the SACD player and the receiver.Are there other ways that that I could bring the SACD into this receiver?Thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Buy a SACD/DVD- A player that plays over HDMI.Less expensive options...Oppo 970Elite DV49.All Oppo after the 970 do it over HDMI. All players, that play the formats, do them if they are HDMI 1.2 and newer.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I did a quick search until my ADD kicked in and I did see some HDMI to analog converters but not much the other way around. If there were such things, a cheap one would probably add too much distortion rendering the higher quality SACD audio useless. An expensive one would cost more than an hdmi universal dvd/br player.I concur with Sam. Hunt for a good but in-expensive used Pioneer or OPPO. The excellent Elite dv58av goes for about $100 (I have two of them) and the OPPO 970 maybe $75-$100.In the meantime, connect the front left and right analog channels of your SACD player to any analog input on your receiver. Stereo is better than nothing. And 99.97% of all DVD-A disc's also have a 5.1 Dolby Digital layer that can be played by any dvd player/digital receiver combination (just like 5.1 dvd's).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks