What's new

SACD through digital input (1 Viewer)

JunaidI

Auditioning
Hi Guys! I'm new to the board, so please bear with me if I ask any stupid questions. :)

OK, I have a 5 year old Sony DA-50 ES receiver. It does not have separate analog inputs that are required for SACDs. But it does have a digital input and a coax input. I am planning to buy the Sony DVP-NS755V DVD player, and was wondering if I could hook it up to my receiver using the digital input and get multi channel SACD output.
Does the 755 output SACD signals through the digital output? If not, are there any SACD players out there that do?

Thanks a lot!

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the SACD signal can be sent through a digital output. You might be stuck.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
SACD signal cannot be sent digitally unless you have much more expensive equipment. I believe that Pioneer has a SACD player than can connect digitally to their flagship receiver only...both pieces will cost you a combined $6,000. Meridian also can pass DVD-A digitally, but only proprietarily as well.

For the mainstream masses, SACD can be passed in the analog domain only. You can run the analog SACD signal to your receiver for two channel SACD reproduction, just not multi channel. Sorry.

george king

Supporting Actor
Sorry, you are out of luck. Currently SACD is only in the analog domain, and you need analog inputs to hear it. If your receiver's stereo CD inputs have an analog pass through (direct mode) then you could use this for 2 channel SACD. If however, the receiver digitizes the inputs, then this will not do you any good.

Hope this helps.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
This isn't quite true. There are digital solutions for SACD, but none of them are inexpensive.

Sharp had a 2 channel Player / Amp combo that sold for somewhere around $9K/the pair.

Accuphase has a 2 box solution that runs in the vicinity of US$28K.

dCS has a 2 box solution that is in excess of US$20K.

Regards,

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If that receiver does not have a 5.1 channel input you'll only be able to enjoy SACD sound in stereo. And even then your receiver may defeat the purpose if it does not have an analog passthrough.

Nice player BTW. :) That's the successor to my DVP-NS500V. I've been very happy with mine both as an interlaced DVD player and as a SACD machine.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I used to own the same Sony DA50ES receiver. It does have a DIRECT mode that bypasses all soundfield processing, but I am not certain whether the receiver still digitizes the analog stereo inputs when in this mode. I sold the receiver before adding SACD to my system.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Sorry can not pass SACD directly to the digital out at this time. SACD requires the SACD chipset to decode the SACD data which sends the signal out thru analog outs. I believe that this is Sony's way of keeping the format secure from being copied. This is something that Sony most likely will not change. You can do 2 channel SACD with your reciever but not multi-channel.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
There has been an agreement reached (as far as I know it has not been rejected by either party) as to an encrypted digital interface for both SACD and DVD-Audio formats. However, it will be based on Firewire IEEE standards.

Coaxial and Toslink optical connections do not have the bandwidth needed for these high resolution bitstreams.

I would suspect that starting with next year's models you will see players and receivers and pre-amps with the ability to use this new standardized digital interface and allow the receiver or pre-amp to do the multi-channel PCM and DSD decoding internally, as you can do with DTS and DD now.

I'm afraid, JunaidI, you are pretty much out of luck right now unless you plan on buying new, compatible equipment in the near future.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks