What's new

SACD specs, definition, a general rundown? (1 Viewer)

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Ok, so this word is being bandied about the forum like free Heinekens. But what does it mean? Is it Super Audio CD, Special Audio CD? I've gathered that it's most likely a higher fidelity format with surrounds usage, but what else is there? Should I get into SACD? If so, why?

-Tom

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Tom,
SACD stands for Super Audio Compact Disk. It's a Sony invention that has a higher audio resolution than plain CD playback. I'm not big on the technicals, lets just say it sounds GREAT. Here's a link for more info.
www.sony.com/sacd

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Evan,
Technically Sony and Philips co-developed the SACD format, just as they co-developed the CD.
Tom,
I will echo Evan's point that SACD is a superior digital format to the CD. SACDs are five-inch optical discs like CDs, but the digital encoding scheme is different. SACD utilizes Direct Stream Digtial (DSD) encoding, while CD uses Pulse Code Modulation (PCM). SACDs have smaller pits than CDs, and therefore, have more information on them than do CDs. While the CD is a 16-bit/44.1-kHz PCM format, the SACD is a 1-bit/2.8224-MHz DSD format. SACD offers greater dynamic range and a greater frequency response than does CD. If you search the web, you will find resources for more in-depth technical information on the format. In short, SACD kills CD. Highly recommended. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
KeithH as always does a great post on the basics. If I could just insert my two cents...

64X more sampling rate of Super Audio means you get a vast volume more of data. This leads to several benefits - the great dynamic range and a very natural, tonally accurate (in the best recordings of course) representation of musician's instruments.

In short, aaaah, musical heaven!

I always like to say - listen to Super Audio CD and then the same title on regular redbook (44.1khz) and judge for yourself...

Lee

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, thanks. Actually, you hit the nail on the head by saying:
listen to Super Audio CD and then the same title on regular redbook (44.1khz) and judge for yourself...
Instead of getting mired in the numbers, one should spend time listening to SACDs to really appreciate the format. Once you are listening to the music, it's O.K. to get mired in the numbers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks