SACD Sony SCD CE775 : Bass Management Question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steven Simon, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Hey Guys,

I just purchased this player open box from Best Buy with no books, and remote, Ect... I believe Sony advertised some sort of bass management on this unit... How do I engage it??? Can I do it on the unit itself, or do I need a remote??

Any tips greatly appriciated....

2. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

3. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

I strongly recommend that you do not use the bass management for a subwoofer-less system. It is flawed in that it seems to not correct for the -10 dB level of the LFE/Sub track on SACDs, instead just mixing it (at 10 dB too low) into the front L/R channels (and other "large" speakers if applicable).

I have a system with no sub but with large fronts, and small centre and surrounds. I use the "front large + subwoofer" option in the bass management, and let my receiver handle mixing the sub channel into the front L/R channels. The receiver has a selectable +10 dB boost for this input which must be engaged to achieve the correct bass level. The receiver is a Sony STR-DA4ES, which has this somewhat unique ability to perform analog down-mixing of the multi-channel inputs, to accomodate different speaker setups (e.g. no sub and/or no center channel). Most receivers, AFAIK, cannot do this.

If you have a subwoofer (certainly most people with surround-sound speaker setups do) then you don't have to worry about the flawed bass management. Keep in mind though that the sub output of this SACD player is at a level of -10 dB by default, so either adjust the levels on the player or on your receiver/pre-pro. I found that the easiest way to test and adjust the level of bass was to switch between the 2-channel and 5.1-channel versions of a disc, comparing the resulting bass level by ear. This may or may not work with your speaker/system setup.

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

5. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

6. Andrew_B

Andrew_B Stunt Coordinator

When I used the SCD-CE775's internal bass management it didn't sound nearly as good as when I had it in direct mode. The SACD 'magic' just wasn't there. I wonder if enabling the bass management adds a DSD->PCM conversion into the loop.

7. Lam Nguyen

Lam Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

When I bought my Sony 555es a few months ago, I had problems with its bass management and ask for help from the forum members. It turn out that the bass management on SACD and DVD Audio players have flaws. When you're using the players bass management, the DSD signal is converted to PCM for bass management which degrade the signal.

The best way is to use DIRECT MODE, which will not alter the signal but you will get little if any bass out of you sub. The only way to use your sub with direct mode that I know of is with the purchase of a Outlaw ICBM (analog bass management)or if you have a receiver with built in analog bass management (which is rare).

8. Andrew_B

Andrew_B Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Lam for confirming my suspicions on the conversion to PCM for bass management! I wonder when a player with real DSD only bass management will be released.

9. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

or flip the switch on the back of the Outlaw 950[​IMG]

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

11. Lam Nguyen

Lam Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

This issue was talked about alot a few months ago in this forum and other like audioasylum. Some of the well known people in the industry also confirm that these player have bass management issue. I can't name them off the top of my head though.

12. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit