SACD/Referance CD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Moritz, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Ok here we go I currently am using a Sony DVP-S9000ES to play my SACD's back. I ballance my CD playback between my Sony 9000ES and my Denon DCD-1290. I would how ever like to get a referance level player that would play SACD and CD's. Does not need DVD-A at all. I am considering a Pioneer Elite DVD/DVD-A for that area. I realize that by wanting SACD playback I limit my options on brands. Would I be better of with a Sony ES, Marantz or something else. I will be looking into this more in depth a the CES show in Vegas in January.

Happy New Year everyone, have a great time and stay safe!

2. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

Wait until after CES. Things are opening up in the Universal disk/transport area.

3. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Dave,

What price range are you looking for?

I can highly recommend Sony's SCDXA777 ES multi channel SACD/CD player. It is a great CD player as well as arguably the best multi-channel SACD player on the market now. [well the best under 15K] That might change in two weeks after the Las Vegas show.

4. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

The Marantz 8260 is a very impressive SACD/CD player.

5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Not sure if I want to go Multi channel SACD or not ?[​IMG]
    I want to get a referance CD/SACD only player and am also looking into a seperate DVD/DVD-A player. I am thinking of trying to budget as much as $4000 max. I curently have a Sony DVP-S9000 ES dvd/sacd to play me SACD's. And my main cd transport is a Denon DCD-1290 with dual 20bit d/a. If I was just wanting to upgrade the cd player I would most likely just add a Theta Digital D/A to it? I am aiming at something that is high end referance material and do not think the multi platform can perform as well as a high end peice ? I am slowly updating my system to get as close to high end referance as I can. HT and music are my main interest and I have been building and rebuilding this system since 1987.
    I have heard that the Sony's SCDXA777 ES is a very nice player. And at least that model plays CD-R's, my Sony 9000ES will not read CD-R's [​IMG] . I have also heard good things about the Marantz but I have not heard it for myself. Usually the nods in the reviews go towards the Sony ES players as far as the SACD players go. I think I would be happy with ether one. I guess I need to sit down and decide if I want multi channel or not. That could complicate things regarding what reciever or pre/pro I get to upgrade my Yamaha RX-V995. Although since there are not alot of DVD-A's that I would personally buy I may decide not to get a DVD-A player ? Too bad Krell, Rotel or Theta dont make referance SACD players. The Rotel RCD-1070 would be a great reasonably price referance quality player if it only was SACD compatible. Am looking forward to hearing from other to get your input.
    Thanks Robert,Joe and Craig for your input.
    Happy New Year [​IMG]

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dave, do take a look at the Sony 'XA777ES. I believe Marantz still makes the SA-14, which is similarly priced and equipped as the 'XA777ES. I've demoed the 'XA777ES, and it is a great player. Unfortunately, I have not tried the '14.

I was in a store last week that had the Marantz '8260 last week, but I did not have the time to demo it. In talking to a salesman about it, he did not recommend it as a CD player. He said one could do much better with a dedicated CD player in the same price range. For example, he recommended some of the Arcam CD players such as the DiVA CD-72T and CD-82. Of course, this is just one salesman's opinion, but I would do some tests of the '8260 against dedicated CD players if top-notch CD playback is of interest. Aside from the Arcam players, I would be curious to learn how the '8260 compares to the Rega Planet 2000, Music Hall CD-25, as well as the Sony 'C555ES.

7. Tom Lee

Tom Lee Agent

Dave, your 9000ES is already a great CD player. I believe the 999ES is just as good or maybe alittle better.

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

9. Jose T

Jose T Stunt Coordinator

Dave:

I have both the Sony 775 and the 555ES SACD players. You cann't beat the 555ES for its built quality and its a multi player. I enjoy the SACD format over DVD-A. I think the multi channel aspect of this player is great option as well as 2 channel. The remote is simple and lacks an power, and volume button but other then that its nice component. I heard the Marantz is not bad either.

10. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I appreciate the input every one this is cool [​IMG] .
    I may just go with a stand alone Rotel CD player, Marantz or Theta Transport? But I will be looking into the Sony ES and Marantz SACD models especially at the CES show, thanks.
    Happy New Year Everyone [​IMG]

11. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Linn is sepposed to introduce a high end SACD player at CES. Keep your eyes and ears open.

12. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Keith,

Most of the user comments I have read on another (hi-rez dedicated) forum have said the Marantz 8260 and similar Philips SACD1000 were at least as good as, if not better than equivalently priced dedicated cd players. Of course, its all hearsay until one hears it for yourself, but what do I know, I'm buying a dedicated cdp instead of a sacd :b

Cheers,
    Mike