SACD recomendations for Jazz/soft rock/latin

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Oct 21, 2002.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Hey guys, I put an order for a SACD player and was wondering if there are any of what you would consider REFERENCE recordings in Multichannel for the following music:

Jazz
    Latin (jazz or traditional)
    Soft rock or POP (James Taylor, Billy Joel)..

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

There are quite a few excellent jazz titles on SACD. Sony has a few legacy titles (single layer, mostly stereo) from Columbia, including one each by Herbie Hancock, Charles Mingus, and Thelonious Monk, as well as a whole bunch from Miles Davis. All are excellent.

Telarc has some newer recordings which sound really nice
    McCoy Tyner / Al Foster / Stanley Clark
    Oscar Peterson / Milt Jackson / Ray Brown- Very Tall Band

and Chesky has McCoy Tyner's New York Reunion album

Analogue Productions has a few older recordings from the old Prestige/Riverside catalogue featuring excellent transfers and CD layers. Miles Davis Cookin', Sonny Rollins Way Out West and Saxophone Colossus, a few from Bill Evans, Art Pepper, and they are supposed to be releasing new ones by Monk and Coltrane.

The only Latin-type SACD I have is Paquite D'Rivera's Tropicana Nights. He's a sax player who is quite big in the Latin jazz scene. Musically, it's not his strongest album, but it's still good.

The James Taylor SACDS seems to be very popular.

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I'm beginning to amass an SACD collection, but thusfar I have no SACD player! [​IMG]
    But I've been paying close attention to those titles that (1) I already like, and (2) have received good "SACD reviews". So, I've either purchased the following recordings if on hybrid discs, or am making due with the redbook counterpart if single-layer SACD-only. And I notice that you asked for multichannel recommendations - frankly, I'm not sure which of these is or includes a multichannel remix as I'm most interested in the 2-channel (which is all I can presently playback).
    So, if after all those caveats you still think my opinion's worth anything, I give you... :b
    Jazz at the Pawnshop (Domnerus, Hallberg, Erstrand) – hybrid disc of one of the all-time jazz/audiophile standards. Expensive, but worth it.
    "Waltz for Debby" and "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" (Bill Evans Trio) – hybrid discs of both seminal recordings.
    "New York Reunion" (McCoy Tyner Quartet) -hybrid
    And the first single-layer SACDs I'll buy as soon as I get my player:
    Mingus "Ah Um"
    Dylan "Blonde on Blonde"
    Brubeck "Time Out"
    Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" and "In a Silent Way"
    Coltrane "A Love Supreme" (coming soon or already out?)

4. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Guys those are great selections...I'll ask my wife to pass by JandR and see if she could find some of these disks...thanks again..[​IMG]

5. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Rich, you should grab a Sony 775 while you still can.

I concur about the James Taylor sacd's, their great!
    Also get Carole King's Tapestry.

I also like the sound of Micheal Jackson's Thriller sacd.

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

John, I'm actually looking at the Sony 555ES, but kinda waiting to see if the next generation of models will (again with the enumerated lists) (1) maintain the high level of audiophiliac quality as the current ES models; and (2) incorporate greater flexibility in onboard bass management.
    If the latter issues are resolved favorably, I will (1) remove credit card from iron-clad faux-leather wallet enclosure, (2) present credit card to authorized Sony retailer... and, well, you get the picture! [​IMG]

7. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Hourglass by James Taylor is excellent. A while back someone was recommending the Spyro Gyro SACD, if you are intersted in this group.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, I too am impressed with the James Taylor SACDs. One their own, the Billy Joel SACDs are not really reference-quality, in my opinion, but they definitely beat the corresponding remastered CDs. I feel the same way about Carole King Tapestry.

Some of my favorite jazz SACDs (in terms of music and sound quality):

* Any Miles Davis title
    * Dave Brubeck Time Out
    * Charles Mingus Mingus Ah Um
    * Chris Botti Night Sessions
    * Herbie Hancock Head Hunters
    * Duke Ellington Blues in Orbit

The Ellington disc is from the old MFSL before they closed up shop. In fact, it was the only SACD released by the original MFSL, and as such, it is out of print. It is a hybrid stereo disc. It isn't necessarily cheap these days, but it is worth picking up, especially since Blues in Orbit is no longer in print on CD. In any event, I have an out-of-print CD of Blues in Orbit (Columbia), and the CD layer on the MFSL disc is much, much cleaner. The SACD layer is better yet.

9. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

Sonny Rollins's Saxophone Colossus is also a superb SACD, and was mastered by Doug Sax, the fellow who did an equally phenomenal job with the Bill Evans SACDs.

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Anthony, most of the Latin, err, south of the border music on SACD is in stereo. There's some great titles and exceptions because a few are 5.1 .
    Manfredo Fest's JUST JOBIM is a must have. If his JUNGLE CAT album comes to SACD jump on it too, it could too. A+
    Los Indos Tabajaras' ALWAYS IN MY HEART sonds no better than the CD. Pass on it! C-
    Mabel Gonzalez's LA NOCHE DEL RIO DE LA PLATA is one I've only listened to once. My mind isn't exactly made up on it but it seems well-recorded. unndecided
    Ana Caram's BLUE BOSSA is a must have and it's 5.1 . Most of the songs are in Portugese. A couple of Jobim classics are covered, of course. A+
    The Conga Kings' JAZZ DESCARGAS is pretty good. I wouldn't call it reference recording but it's 5.1 . Nice Cu'bah sound. B+
    Monty Alexander's MONTY MEETS SLY AND ROBBIE is nice 5.1 pop-jazz. They cover stuff like CHAMELEON, THE IN CROWD, SOULFUL STRUT, MERCY MERCY. A
    Paquito D'Rivera's TROPICANA NIGHTS, B
    Eden Atwood's WAVES is not authenic Latin music but it's pretty good and 5.1 . A
    For jazz, buy the whole Groove Note catalog. Jacintha is one of the world's best jazz singers. Her 3 albums are must have's. The Anthony Wilson Trio's OUR GANG is an A+ for content although not a ref recording. Bennie Wallace's MOODSVILLE is very nice sax jazz, A. GROOVE NOTE is a great label.
    The Telarc titles all sound great. The Very Tall Band by Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown & Milt Jackson is DSD recorded, in stereo only. On sound it's an A+ but lower on performance, B+.
    Buy about anything on the Analogue Productions label. SAXOPHONE COLOSSUS by Sonny Rollins is a must have, A+. Max Roach's drumming really ties this one together. WAY OUT WEST by Rollins is good but not as good, B+. Chet Baker, Miles Davis, and Bill Evans have great releases on A.P. too.
    I'd avoid Sony discs for now. I'd wait for them to make hybrids.
    Rich, I'd pounce on 555. It's possible replacement, which is hardly guaranteed, Sony may go to nearly all combi-DVD players (?), proably wouldn't have as hefty a build. If you aren't happy with the bass management add an Outlaw BM. IMO, if you have 4 large speakers, you don't need bass management. That was my solution. The 555 gives an awful lot of performance for the money IMO. Even with a BM tacked on the price, it's stille alot of performance for the money. It's replacement, if it happens, might cost more than the two combined...? Best wishes guyz![​IMG]

11. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Rachael, this is a great list, I'll make sure I print this out..[​IMG]

12. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Touche' Rachael! Great list.

Although it is Sony, I thought I heard Gloria Estefan's GH is to be re-released as multi-channel on sacd.

I'm looking forward to Steve Hoffman's Ritchie Valens sacd.

Although not sacd or dvd-a, Raul Malo in multi-channel has a killer voice on the Mavericks Trampoline DTS release.

I concur on the Sony 555. I paid $800 for mine and feel I got a great machine. It is my primary Redbook player as well.

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

15. Bryan "C." A.

16. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

While I've preferred the idea of a stand-alone SACD/CD player, if the audio quality isn't sacrificed, I'd certainly consider a DVD/SACD combo player. Any idea what the 999ES is gonna cost?
    Also, there's that new Phillips combo player that's supposed to come out someday... for cheap apparently. Might also be worth considering.
    Lee, I hadn't realized you were a studio guy - great to see your name in the credits of the "New York Reunion" disc, and it really is a fantastic recording! [​IMG]

17. Bryan "C." A.