SACD price differences

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelGomez, Feb 16, 2002.

1. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

What is the fundemental difference in the price range of SACD players?

I see some players that handle DVD and SACD, stereo and multi-channel, for less than $300.

Then there are models that only do SACD and the price jumps to around $600.

What is the difference? Is it just components and can you tell a difference?

Thanks

Mike

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, the more expensive SACD players from Sony's ES line are better components that the $300 non-ES DVP-NS500V or the $350 SCD-CE775. For example, the SCD-C222ES for around $600 (by mail) is built better on the inside and outside than the 'CE775. The $800 'C555ES is better than the 'C222ES. With Sony's SACD players, you certainly get what you pay for.

3. MichaelGomez

So do you think that there would be an audible difference between a Sony DVP-NS500V and a Sony SCD-C222ES? I don't need the DVD function but the 500 is on e-bay for $260 and the 222 is $400 or more. I would definetly get the 222 if there is going to be a difference. Thanks for the help.

Mike

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, yes, I am quite certain you would hear a difference in going from the 'NS500V to the 'C222ES, both with CDs and SACDs. For one thing, the 'NS500V has video circuitry, which can interfere with the audio circuitry. Furthermore, the inclusion of video circuitry can negatively impact the quality of the audio output circuitry used (longer parts list for the designer to consider, all with a budget in mind). Add to that the fact that the 'NS500V is a non-ES component, and the 'C222ES of course is, and to my mind, all signs point to the 'C222ES as the better audio component. Besides better sound quality, you get better build quality and the five-year ES warranty with the 'C222ES. If you can spend the extra money, it would behoove you to grab the 'C222ES. By the way, I have read on Audio Asylum that Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480) sells the 'C222ES for $525. They are an authorized dealer and are very reputable. I've ordered from them twice with nary a problem.

5. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Well said Keith.. [​IMG]

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thanks, Chip. [​IMG]

7. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Keith, well said

BTW, YGM in your HTforum mailbox

8. MichaelGomez

For anyone else that might be interested, here are the prices that oade bros. quoted me:

SACD Pricing:

Sony DVP-NS500V $250

Sony SCD-CE775 $295

Sony DVP-NC650V $325

Sony SCD-C222ES $525

Sony DVP-NS900V $550 (Price Just Dropped!)

Sony SCD-C555ES $775

Sony DVP-S9000ES $900 (Delivery Included)

Philips SACD-1000 $1,300 (Delivery Included)

Sony SCD-XA777ES $2,000 (Delivery Included)

Sony SCD-1 $2,850

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rodney,

Thanks. I'll have to check my Inbox here.

Michael,

Good information. Thanks for sharing. I was aware of some of Oade Bros.' prices, but not all of them. I believe the 'C555ES is $800 delivered. $525 is a great price for the 'C222ES.

10. MichaelGomez

Which one (or ones) do you own. If you have more than one, can you tell a major difference in the differently priced ones?

Michael

11. ZackS

ZackS Auditioning

Another major difference is that many players are 2-channel SACD players, while others play ful 6-channel SACDs.

12. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Will you be able to tell the difference? Well, that's a big, fat, maybe... It really depends on your other gear. The more sensitive it is, and the more discerning your ear is, the more likely the better players will seperate themselves from the lesser players. I recommend trying a few out from a local vendor and deciding for yourself.

13. Kevin George

Kevin George Stunt Coordinator

michael,
    fwiw, today i purchased a sony 555 from one call for 666 delivered. it was an open box but, talking with the rep at one call he mentioned that the unit had no blemishes of any sort on the front, and that there was a very slight chance of some kind of blem on the possibly the side or the top. this is fine with me though since only the front is visible due to my rack.
    i just thought id mention this.....
    there are good deals to be had out there!

14. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Jerry's absolutely right. Your associated gear will be a big factor... Through my PSB Stratus Silveri 's, my SCD-C555ES sings! I couldn't resist this player at $775.00 from Oade Bros. I've been really enjoying it since October..

15. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I have the 222 and really like it, I think that it sounds as good and most likely better than the 9000ES player. I was strapped with $$ issues at the time and opted for the 222, soon after (less than 1 week) the 555 went way down (to $800) and I thought that I would try and see if they would give me credit if I payed for shipping to upgrade. I was very dissapointed when they responded that I would have to pay a 20% restocking fee PLUS shipping. I said forget it, that defeats the whole purpose. This left a very bad taste in my mouth about Oade bros and I doubt that I will EVER order from them again. Maybe I should have looked at all of their policies more closely (thus being my fault), but I can tell you that a "store" wouldn't treat someone like that. I have always been cautious about buying on the internet, and sometimes feel that things are too good to be true, and I found out the hard way that I was right. In a few bucks Oade Bros saved with me, They in reality have lost a lot more in the long run (the upgrade bug bites me a lot!!!).

As far as the 222 goes, I like it a lot, I really don't see as huge of a difference in build quality and wt as some do between the 222 and the 555. I really like it, and looking back on it, the 222 has not let me down. I would have liked to get the 555, and if it really was huge deal for me to get the 555, I would have biten the bullet and gotten it. Just like anything else, it all comes down to how much you are willing to spend.

16. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

17. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Thomas, I don't mind the re-stocking fee concept, I offered to pay an extra $50-75 (but NOT over $100) PLUS shipping, the 20% is what made me a little made. I think that if someone were to get a "re-stocked 222" for $50-75 less than the already great price of $525 they would jump at it, I know that I would. I was even going to let them get the part first and decide and make sure it was flawles before they sent out the 222, but they wanted nothing to do with it, just a 20% fee. (In other words, does it really cost any more to re-stock it from a $200 unit of the same size??, that is my problem, and since I will ONLY being buying nicer equipt from here on out, that means 20% of even more expensive products-ouch!!). Like I said, perhaps it was my fault since I didn't understand their policy well enough before I bought it. I ASSUMED that since it was an on-line company that they would have the sme great customer service/support as Outlaw, SVS, Swans, etc, etc... BUT I assumed wrong and got burned, next time I will be much more careful.

18. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i still dont see how you got burned. you got a great player at probably the lowest price possible. i also don't see where you had a bad experience with their customer service. i was very impressed with that aspect of my purchase and would highly recommend them to anyone.

...but everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and i respect that. i just don't see any reasonable evidence to your arguments.

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael asked:

20. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Thomas, perhaps I didn't get "burned", but the service was not up to others that I have dealt with. Lets just say that they didn't go out of their way to make any accomidations or go above and beyond to please the customer, that is all I am saying. That matters to me, if you treat me well, I am your customer for a loooong time. As for what they did do right-well, they took my $ and sent out the product, certainly it wasn't anything "wrong" but that should be the kind of service anyone should beable to offer. btw, they didn't answer my e-mails very quickly either, but that is nO big deal. I will say that they packed the unit well.