SACD player worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I ordered an Onkyo cd player, but apparently everyone is backordered and I don't feel like waiting forever on it. So I was thinking of possibly going with an SACD player. I know Sony has a few models but i dont' know of any others. I want to keep it under $300 if possible. I am worried that SACD will fade away, but I also hear that regular cd playback from an SACD player is great. So should I wait on the Onkyo, go with an SACD player, or go with another regular CD player? Any help is appreciated.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Allen, the only CD player that I am aware of that Onkyo is still making is the DX-C380 changer, which is O.K., but not great. Sony makes a couple low-to-mid-priced SACD changers. The SCD-CE775 plays CDs, stereo SACDs, and multi-channel SACDs and sells for $350 at the likes of Best Buy, Circuit City, and Good Guys. Also, the DVP-NC650V plays DVDs (interlaced output only), CDs, stereo SACDs, and multi-channel SACDs. It sells for about $400. If audio is your main interest, I would get the 'CE775 over the 'NC650V. However, from what I have read, the 'CE775 is only average as a CD player. That is not to say that it is worse than the Onkyo player. I haven't compared them side-by-side in a good set-up. It seems to me that many people who have commented on the CD playback quality of the 'CE775 have compared it to Sony's more expensive and excellent ES SACD players, which is an unfair comparison.

My feeling is that the sound quality of SACD makes the 'CE775 very compelling. However, there are a number of capable CD-only changers for around the same price. Search this site for more information, as this subject has been discussed quite a bit over the last month or so.

3. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Thx. Once again I was pressed for time so rather than do a lengthy search I posted and hoped I would get some info. It's going to be a tough call because I don't want to buy something that won't be supported, but if it was also a great cd player then I would go for it. Hmmmmm decisions decisions.

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

People must realize that it is very easy to run a DVD-Audio player without a TV. I wish the manufacturers of DVD-Audio hardware would promote the ability to listen to the format without using a TV. Of course, video content on DVD-Audio discs is promoted as an advantage over CDs and SACDs, but it is also used against DVD-Audio. In any event, with my Technics DVD-A10, playing discs without the TV is this easy:

1) Place the disc on the tray.

2) Press "Play" on the remote with the tray open.

3) The player will default to Group 1, which is the multi-channel track on discs that also offer stereo. To select the stereo track, press the "Group" button twice to select Group 2 and press "Play".

That's it!

6. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

W/ DVD-A you'd need bass management like the Outlaw ICBM, I believe, the new SACD players have their own management.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Adil, the need for bass management depends on your system and the surround-sound mix in question. If you have full-range speakers all around, you won't need bass management. If the mix has a dedicated LFE track, you also won't find yourself having bass problems with smaller speakers. However, I only have bookshelf speakers as my mains and surrounds that only go down to 50 Hz, and I don't feel I need bass management with DVD-Audio. As for SACD, it is true that the players offer bass management, but they do not offer control of the crossover frequency. Some people have said that the Sony players have an unacceptable crossover frequency of 120 Hz. I don't know that for certain. In any event, I have noticed that some people here are using ICBMs for multi-channel SACD.

8. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Doug, I shouldn't have been so "absolute" in my statement. Quality full-range speakers (i.e., those rated to 30 Hz or less) will handle bass material better than bookshelf speakers or satellites, so bass management may not be absolutely necessary. Of course, the source material and particular set-up are important. As I said, with my bookshelf speakers that are only rated down to 50 Hz, I have never found myself missing bass management when I listen to multi-channel DVD-Audio.