SACD player recommendations - for audio only

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mr. Brian, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Mr. Brian

Mr. Brian Stunt Coordinator

I'm interested in getting an SACD player, but only using it for audio SACD's since I already have a Denon DVD video/audio player. Are there any cheap players that would do a good job? Any features I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Brian

2. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I would suggest going right for a Sony player, since SACD is their baby anyways. Plenty of cheapie SACD players from them. Set your budget, take your choice.

And there's always the Pioneer 563 or 578.

3. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

do you have no interest in dvd-a?

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I believe he said his Denon is a DVD-A and DVD-V player.

5. Mr. Brian

Mr. Brian Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I already have the Denon DVD 1600, which is DVD-A.

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Depends on your budget and whether you want a changer. The non-ES (5-disc) Sony changer is $149 list and the 2000ES changer is $399 list. I bought the 2000ES for the secondary basement system last week. I too have a separate DVD-A player down there already. I dropped it off at a friend who has a $3.9k CD only player already las Sunday after picking it up. He dropped the player back at my house earlier this evening and sold his CD player. He is likely going to get the top of the line Sony 9000ES but told me althought there were postives and negatives he liked it better overall on CD than his expensive player. I have it playing in the main system right now and for a $399 player it is damn good. No it is not as good as some of the other stuff I have like a Modwright (Absolute Truth Modded) XA-777ES but it is certainly worth the $399. I am going to stick it permanently in the basement system later next week (I have another friend who wants to hear it on my main system and what its time alignment features do) and will be comparing it many things I have down in the basement system including a very good separate outboard DAC. With the ES Warranty, I think it is a very good value.