What's new

SACD player or Cables (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I still haven't decided on what speaker/interconnect cables I'm going to buy since I've identified three price groups. I'm wondering whether getting an SACD player for regular cd playback would improve my cd playback much more so than buying higher end cables. Price will be similar to what I would pay for the higher end cables since I'm looking at the Sony 555ES multichannel SACD player. Can you guys give me your thoughts as always?

Oh I currently have the Denon DCM360 as my cd player.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Howard,

I'd say putting your money into a higher end player is probably your first step. I'm not trying to lower the importance of good interconnects but I think a good playback source is first step.

The 555ES is supposed to be quite good. I believe KeithH has one. By they way, where are you getting your 555ES from? Even the Sony store doesn't have them. I guess Sound Plus does.

And, by the way, I think this is in the wrong section.

Patrick

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Patrick. I have no idea what section this is to be placed. There's no mention of a cd player anywhere. But I figure everything has to do with the speakers. :)
Anyhow ya I was intrigued by the 555ES because of all those posts. Can't afford the 777 of course. But from what I'm hearing the player itself makes an amazing difference in redbook cd playback. I figure it'll be much better than my Denon?
I'm hoping to go into a store an order it. Sony store sucks. They don't even know what it is. Sound plus has it?

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Howard, Sound Plus carries the higher end Sony products so I suspect they have it. I can't remember if I saw it there or not but since its an ES product I suspect they probably do have one.

Patrick

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Howard, get the 555 over the cables.
I have a bunch of Outlaw interconnects on the way and am using bare bones speaker wire. Still, the 555 in my very meager system (Paradigm Reference speakers with a very old Harman Receiver) still sounds great. I expect improvement from the interconnects and some DH Labs T-14 speaker cable I have yet to integrate into my system, but I doubt the sonic improvement will be as great as what the player delivered.
I think this player is much more refined and detailed than the Yamaha I was using previously and SACD, if you haven't heard, is very, very good.
I would get the player from www.oade.com. That's where I got mine ($800). I heard they are presently backordered, but have a shipment coming in. Build quality is first rate and I'm waiting on my Outlaw 950 to get the full benefits of multi-channel and to integrate my Anthem MCA5 to my system.
Bottom line? The player will make a bigger difference to your system than the cables. Ask KeithH..he'll tell you the quality of the player. I've only had it for 10 days or so, but am very happy so far.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
It doesn't? That really sucks. I thought a player like that will give me the option of putting in my own powercord.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks