SACD or wait

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by George Bir, Aug 29, 2004.

1. George Bir

George Bir Stunt Coordinator

Should I invest in a sacd/dvd combo for my new ht, or wait till they come out with the hd dvd players.
    At the risk of sounding foulish again, we only own regular cds, are sacds different?
    Can anyone recommend players that are inexpensive. Our audio system is around 2k complete, without a dvd player.
    Thinking no more than 200 for dvd player. Is that wrong thinking?

We appreciate all the knowledge and opinions this forum has produced. thank you again.

2. gregD

gregD Second Unit

If you like music, I'd encourage anyone to try hi-res (SACD, DVD-A)... the difference in clarity, resolution, presence can be appreciated even on modest systems... no need to go state-of-the-art.

That segment of the industry seems a little wobbly (format wars, slow release schedule), but the sound quality is easy to enjoy.

The seemingly lone offering under $200 is the Pioneer DV-578a... i'ts a universal player (both SACD and DVD-A, as well as CD, CD-R, DVD-Video).

I've got the 578's predecessor and like it a lot... here's a thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=199110

3. George Bir

George Bir Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Greg D,

Looked at the thread and was lost in most of it. As you can tell I'm realy a novice about audio equipment.
    Not sure if the Panasonic is what I'm looking for.
    Anything maybe a little higher up?
    We're thinking about a Denon 1905, NAD T743, or Marantz 5400 reciever.
    We realy don't like thin music (hense getting an svs).
    Maybe 50/50 movies to music. Movies being the more important, as music we maybe roaming.

Can always wait for better player and use existing for time been.
    Whats your opinion?

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I'm not gregD, but I second his suggestion to dive on in. I think it will be some time before HD DVD hits the shelves.

I have had a uni player since October of '02, and consider MC Hi-Rez to be a huge improvement over plain 2 CH. Of course that assumes that there is music in SACD and DVD-A to your liking, but for me, there is plenty.

As for a more expensive player, the Denon 2200 has gotten good reviews, its fully universal, and has good bass management (not all uni players get that right. Mine, a Pioneer 45a, does not, so I had to go with an outboard bass manager, the Outlaw ICBM. Problem solved, but at an extra $200).

Since you mentioned SVS, I assume that proper BM will be important to you.

BGL

5. gregD

gregD Second Unit

I am gregD, and I will third my own suggestion...

Unless you have an advanced HD-ready TV, the Pioneer uni should be a perfectly good performer in video, as well as audio... my 563 leaves little to be desired on a 32" CRT.

Though speakers determine sound characteristics more than any other component, the Marantz receiver you're considering will probably offer up the smoothest (non-'thin') sound of those 3... my system is built around Pio players and a Marantz receiver, and has performed well for years.

With your budget and stated 50/50 usage, I like the Pio / Marantz combo.

If you want to move up a notch with a universal player, look for the forthcoming Yamaha DVD S1500 ($400)... no reviews obviously, but its big brother S2300 is consistently reported to be a top performer.