SACD or DVD-A? Need new dvd player...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Derrik Draven, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I have a 1st generation Sony dvd player that I bought back in the spring of '98.

Funny calling a dvd player old but, this one is so old that it doesn't pass a DTS signal since DTS was still just rumored to be coming to dvd when I bought this player.

anyhoo...

Since then I've bought a few dvd audio discs and, while it does an okay job, I really don't want to use my Xbox for either a dvd player, nor a dvd audio player. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the Xbox doesn't even pass the high resolution audio tracks on dvd audio. I'd like to hear that.

I see that Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, is out on SACD. These disc's won't play on a dvd-audio player, will they? I'm guessing that SACD is a non compatible format?

Are there any dvd players that do both formats or, is one format superior to the other and I should just stick with that one?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Barry.Evans

Barry.Evans Agent

I bought the Pioneer 563a (?/silver/$170/released couple months ago)

I'm impressed with it with both SACD titles and DVD-A titles.
    Now, If the labels would just start releasing better albums on either format I'd be happier?

Who decides on the crap that gets released on these formats anyhow?
    -bp

3. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Derrik,

4. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Thanks for the info!

Now I understand why my Xbox isn't putting out the hirez audio.

I had no idea that the coax and optical cables did NOT carry the high rez 5.1 audio. I would've been scratching my head for weeks...

5. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

painkiller. I use the xbox as my only dvd player. It's okay I guess, just found out it IS afflicted w/ the chroma bug. I think I might be in a similar boat as you, looking for preferably a U-dvd player. I want decent sound too for the hi-res audio. SACD and DVD-Audio are not compatible, they're totally different standards and means of playing back sound.

The issues I'm confronting looking for a nice DVD player... sacd isn't really a big issue but I'd prefer a U-dvd player.

No Chroma bug. Can't have that.
    DVI output, must have that, don't want to have to buy a dvd player again for awhile.
    DVD-Audio must have

SACD is a second place bet for me, I'd like it but I'd like the other options more.

My choices it looks like are the DVD 5900 Denon or Marantz's 8400(?) which I am not sure if either of those models has the chroma bug. But they're both U-dvdplayers w/ DVI outputs.

6. Jeff Drumm

Jeff Drumm Extra

7. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

Good point. Thanks for reminding me. For awhile is certainly flexible. Guess if I spend $3K on a machine I want to be able to keep it around for like at least 5-10 years.

So, maybe now isn't the time to price the "end all" dvd player. Just get something that works with darned good audio.

hmm... you got me re-thinking. That's what these boards are all about. This is great.

So, how far off is the HD-DVD standard do you think?

8. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Agent

The new Denon 5900 is a good all-round universal player that seems to be getting high marks from critical buyers.

From a standard DVD player you can get a 5.1 mix out of a DVD-A via your HT decoder however, this won't be the hi-rez feed. Many SACD's have a CD layer (hybrids) so that you can use them in a standard CD player. Again, not hi-rez.

So, if you get a new Sony DVD with SACD you can get the SACD format and a listen to the MC mix on DVD-A (not hi-rez) and standard DVD for a fairly low cost. If you get a DVD player that supports DVD-A you don't get SACD. That's why universals are probably the best players to look at if you want to try the new hi-rez formats.

If you want a single hi-rez format you should take a look at the software that is available and make a choice on the type of music that is available. In general terms, the audiophile lables, and Sony, are more in the SACD camp while Warner and others are in the DVD-A camp.

I don't have SACD or DVD-A capability however have been purchasing hybrid SACD's because of the high quality remastering that is going on for many titles. Stones, Dylan, DSOTM, Tommy, etc. I have 2 DVD-A's, Dizzy Gillespie Matrix and Emmylou Harris Producer's Cut and listen to them with my standard DVD/HT pre-pro. The multichannel mixes are a novelty on Producers Cut but, the added effect on Matrix is nicely done.

What's it all mean? I don't know but, I think both formats have merit. I will get a dedicated SACD/CD player first since I have, and am more likely to find, more SACD titles that interest me and just use my DVD player for any DVD-A's and normal DVD's that I happen to purchase.

My $0.02