What's new

SACD only or SACD/DVD Player ? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am looking into upgrading my Denon DCD-1290 cd player and will be upgrading my Pioneer DV-525 dvd player. My plan is to not only upgrade to a better cd player audio wise. But to upgrade to a player that can handle SACD. Here is my delema in this area, I am not completely sold on the idea that the all in one players are up to the job? Pioneer is one of the manufactur's that have a CD/SACD/DVD player. I am not sure that the performance would be there for all three formats? I want a CD/SACD player that has close to referance/audiophile quality as possible. And I would like a seperate DVD player that has the best picture I can afford. DVD-A on the DVD player would only by a plus. My thinking on this is when a machine adds more and more format flexability that quality is sacrifised somewhere. The overall goal is to elevate the quality of my entire system eventually. To my knowadge the performance from multi format players is average at best. And would not compete with a player that only deals with a specific format. Would love to hear from others in this forum on this issue.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
Dave,

You might want let us know what your budget is? I was in the same boat as you a month ago. My CD player was crapping out and I was interested in SACD as well. I ended up with a Sony 222ES. My wife also wanted a DVD player in the bedroom and thought that maybe I should get an all in one player but did not want to sacrifice one format for the other, so I also purchased an Panasonic RP-91.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I want a CD/SACD player that has close to referance/audiophile quality as possible. And I would like a seperate DVD player that has the best picture I can afford.
I would hold out for the just announced 999ES from Sony due in September for $1200 retail but Oade supposedly is streeting it at $800.
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...snumber=361086
Reference Super Audio, reference video chip based on the spec sheet and rumor mill.
Sounds like a winner...:)
The problem with the universal players like the Pioneer is good DVDA but very poor SACD implementation. I would go for Super Audio and get more titles, particularly jazz, and a great DVD player to boot.
Hope that helps.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am looking at a budget of $1400 to $2000 for a SACD and $2800 max for a DVD. My Denon has dual 20 bit D/A's and I have had o problems with it. My main goal is to improve overall performance of my audio and video. My Denon DCD-1290 will be hooked up to my Pioneer Spec1 preamp after I upgrade to another unit. I currently have my cd & dvd player hooked up to my Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 receiver. I am also looking into ungrading that to a Denon 5803 or Pioneer Elite 49TX reciever. But for now these are my goals in order:

1. SACD Player
2. Upgrade Pioneer DV-525 DVD Player
3. New center channel maybe a Klipsch w/ dual 8" woofers ??
4. Upgrade reciever to a 6.1 surround
5. Audio Control 6 channel EQ
6. HD Projection unit
7. Power Amps
8. New Rear channel speakers

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dave, my suggestion is that you get an SACD player that doesn't play DVDs and a DVD-Audio player. The DVD-Audio player, of course, will also play DVD movies. Given your budgets for the two high-resolution audio formats, I suggest you look at the Sony SCD-XA777ES and Marantz SA-8260 for SACD and the Denon DVD-9000 and Marantz DV-12S1 for DVD-Audio. These components should fit your stated budgets. The 'XA777ES retails for $3000, but Oade Bros., an authorized mail-order dealer, sells it for $2000. The Denon '9000 retails for $3500, but you might be able to negotiate with a local dealer at least close to $2800.

As an alternative, you might consider the soon-to-be-released Marantz DV-8300 universal player. It will sell for around $2000. My concern is whether this all-in-one will compete with the other models I mentioned with SACD, DVD-Audio, or DVD-Video.

I just remembered that one other component you might consider is the forthcoming Toshiba SD-9500 progressive-scan DVD-Audio player. I just read a favorable review of it in a British magazine and will start a separate thread about it. The '9500 might compete with the Denon and Marantz DVD-Audio players.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thanks for the info guys. My main concern is the performance from any all in one player. And the thought of something going wrong with the one peice. Then I would loose my cd, sacd and dvd/dvd-a player if I had a all in one unit. I have had a salesman tell me that why would I buy extra seperates if I could save money and buy the all in one player? I do not beleive the quality can compete with players that specialize in one or two formats. Like CD/SACD players and DVD/DVD-A players for example. The Sony ES and Marantz for SACD sound like a great suggestion. What do you think about Pioneer Elite for DVD/DVD-A ??? Or is there better than that? Or is my best bet the Denon or Marantz my best bet for DVD performance. Concidering i only have a Pioneer DV-525 dvd player even a Pioneer DV-47A would be a great improvement. But I just want a better unit than the Pioneer all in one unit. I am planning on getting a front projector in the next few years so the performance issue of the dvd is an issue with me. Not sure if the all in one units can cut it on a front projection unit running aprox. 110" screen?? Would like your feedback on this :D

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Oh the above mentioned suggestions on DVD-A and SACD player are they all single draw players? I forgot to mention that is a preference that it be single draw. I am under the impression that all the best transports in the best units are all single draw. I have not seen any multi disc audiophile peices yet. What is your opinion on multi disc units in general? Do you think they have the same quality that the single disc transports do? I kinda wish that Sony would clean up the face of their ES777 SACD player it kinda looks like S. But that is what it looks like in pictures, maybe it will look better in person, lol.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
I am thinking of purchasing one of the sub $200 Sony's which have been favorably reviewed. I have the Denon 9000 and they are being coy about future SACD capabilities.

But I have been tempted to buy a SCD-1 which can be had for $2200 if still available.

rw

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have to agree with the choice of the Sony ES SCD-1. I beleive it is still available and is even still on Sony's web site. I personally have a Denon DCD-1290 as my primary cd player. And am looking to upgrade it to a higher quality model with SACD capabilities. I will be looking at the Sony ES and Marantz SACD models. I can not say I have faith in a all in one player yet. Besides if the all in one player fails you them loose the ability to listen to multiple formats. Instead of just one or two, lol. I personally am looking for a much nicer model than what the $200 model could ever offer. I am more into an audiophile sound but I hope you find what will work for you. To my knowadge Denon is in favor of DVD-A and HDCD at the moment. Pioneer makes a all in one DVD/DVD-A/CD/SACD player called the RV-47A. But this is in the $1200 range and may be more that you want to spend? The Sony for you may be your best bet in your price range. SACD is a very nice format and I hope better titles come out soon.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
am planning on getting a front projector in the next few years so the performance issue of the dvd is an issue with me.
If the projector is not a near term purchase, I wouldn't worry about the video quality for front projection; just worry about the video quality on your current display.

I generally agree that separate components will provide the best quality versus a universal player. I would wait to see the feedback of the Marantz 8300 unit, though, before making a decision. One item going for a universal player is much less cabling.

Doug

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
That is true Doug about less cabling. But have already invested in Audio Quest & Tributary cables for my Laserdisc, DVD player and my cd player. So I am not worried about buying cables for the new gear. My main concerns is overall performance and not relying on one peice to play most of my digital formats. It would really suck if a all in one player ended up in the shop and I could not play any disc format. I would prefer to stay away from a all in one player but I may have no choice money wise? I know I will have a rear projection HD set or a front projection peice in the next few years and I do not want to upgrade the DVD all over again. I have a Pioneer DV525 which is a budget model. And I want to have a better DVD player this year. The goal is to have everything in place for the projection unit that I want to get.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Dave,

I have the Sony XA777ES for SACD/CD. It is an excellent player for CDs and SACDs in multi or stereo format. Well built and attractive(it is a piece of electronic equipment not a woman or a work of art).

My DVD player is the Denon 1600 and its picture is very good. My suggestion would be to stay away from Pioneer stuff at all costs and go with the Denon 3800 or 9000 if I understand your budget right. The 9000 seems to be a fine DVD player and the equal of the xa777es as a dvd-a player. If it is true the chroma bug is really fixed these two DVD players would be good choices.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Steve, both of the HK players you placed a link to do not have SACD or DVD-A support. This is obvious due to their lack of 6 analog outputs, not to mention it is not mentioned anywhere in their specs. I hope you did not buy either one thinking you were getting DVD-A and SACD support.

J

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
You're right (no, didn't buy one, was just browsing last week!)... editing right now...
(Thanks:D )

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Joe:
I have heard the Sony XA777ES and it sounds good I agree. But my goal is to elevate where my system is now closer to an audiophile system. I do not beleive that any entry level peice can acomplish this. Not that some entry level peices are bad necisarally. But also for some reason I have always prefered single draw models over muti disc models. IMHO the transports in the single draw are better than multi disc transports. And this isnt to say that multi disc units do not sound good. This is just what I prefere at this time. If I am going to spend the money to upgrade why not move up:D

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Dave,

The XA777es is a single disk SACD/CD player not a multidisk. It is a multi-channel player as in 5.1 that does 2 channel very well, both CD and SACD.

I am not sure how the Marantz stacks up to the Sony player.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My mistake I for some reason thought it was the SCD-CE775 that I saw on Sony's site . That one is a 5 disc carrosel. How long have you had your XA777es? I was thinking I might get the DVP-S9000ES and just use it a straight SACD player and if my dvd player fail then I can just wire the 9000ES to take over for DVD. I wonder how much of a differance performance wise there would be between the DVP-S9000ES and the XA777es ? I want to have the best sound possible and if there is enough of a diffence between them I will concider getting the XA777es. I still will keep my options open in regards to the Marantz SACD player.:)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
According to Obi the current Sony DVD players or atleast the current 755(I think IIRC) has the chroma bug and baaaaaaad so I'm expecting the new ES to have it as well since they are still seemingly using the same chip. I do like the reliability of them though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks