SACD on existing Receiver question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul D G, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

I currently have a Sony STR-DA777ES receiver and am planning on buying a SACD player soon. I don't follow the technical end very much thus the source of my confusion / concern.

My concern is how I'm going to hook it up correctly. I have a DVD player which is connected to the receiver via optical. This receiver also has optical input for CD / TV / and MD as well. My question is, if I hook this SACD player up via optical CD (or coax for that matter) will it be decoded in 5.1?

I assume the signal would be decoded by the receiver as 5.1 and, thus, play it as such. Is this correct? I'm guessing yes, but not following this and not being sure I would rather ask and find out in advance that I'd need a different receiver rather than buying it and finding out after the fact. I'm just not sure if the receiver will only be looking at the DVD input for a multichannel signal or if it will take it from any input source.

Thanks,

-paul

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

The digital input to the receiver won't work for SACDs, which work with analog connections only, but you might want to connect it up anyway for CDs. And, if this player plays DVDs, you will probably want the digital connection for the Dolby Digital or DTS soundtrack.

The above is for non-SACD discs.

For SACDs, you need 2 (for stereo) or 6+ (for multichannel) analog (phono plug) connections. For multichannel, your receiver has to provide for pre-amp multichannel input. Newer ones do. Alas, mine doesn't, which means I am limited to 2-channel SACD.

3. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

Paul: The current issue for 2 channel & multichannel DVD-A & SACD players is the connections are analog (signals are processed in the players). Which means separate interlinks between the player and your receiver.

For multichannel you need 6 analog interconnects and your receiver must have 6 analog inputs for external decoding.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Paul, since the 'DA777ES has 5.1-channel inputs, use them for multi-channel SACD. While you can use the front left and front right jacks of the 5.1-channel outputs on a multi-channel SACD player for playback of stereo material (CDs and SACDs), it has been said that it is better to use the stereo analog outputs for stereo material. Thus, you could run eight RCA cables from a multi-channel SACD player to your 'DA777ES: six cables from the 5.1-channel outputs on the player to the 5.1-channel inputs on the receiver and two cables for the stereo analog outputs on the player to any pair of stereo analog inputs on the receiver. When using the stereo analog inputs, just make sure you engage the Analog Direct mode on the 'DA777ES for the best sound.

5. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Ok, so. No digital output on SACD anyway (what's up with that? I would figure digital would be the best way to go?) so I can simply use the 5.1 analog input jacks on my DA777ES.

Good. That essentially answers my question. Thanks, guys, for your quick responses.

-paul

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

No problem, Paul. The main reason why you cannot play SACDs through the digital outputs is due to copyright concerns. SACD is said provide sound quality very close to the master tape, and Sony, Philips, and the record labels do not want consumers to have access to such high-quality, master tape-like digital bitstreams. Also, since no players are able to play SACDs through the digital outputs, no digital outputs on players or digital inputs on pre-amps and receivers are designed to handle the high sampling frequency inherent to the DSD* bitstream (2.8224 MHz). Finally, no external components (pre-amps, receivers, outboard DACs) have DSD DACs for conversion of DSD bitstreams to analog.

* DSD stands for Direct Stream Digital, which is the name of the encoding process used for SACD. For CD and DVD-Audio, Pulse Code Modulation or PCM is used.

7. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Wait, so you would have to have how many cables going from the sacd player to the receiver?

8. RicP

RicP Screenwriter