SACD newbie needs help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinQ, Nov 6, 2002.

1. KevinQ

KevinQ Stunt Coordinator

I took the plunge and bought the CE775 for $169 at local Circuit City. [​IMG] I will set it up Friday after my exam. [​IMG] I need some help on
    Hardware:
    1. I suppose I need six audio cables to linked CE775 to my Kenwood VR-507.
    2. Do I need any other link to listen Redbook CDs on CE775? (such as audio cables to connect L & R channel or toslink cable)?
    3. Any chance the DAC in CE775 is better than that in VR507?
    4. Is there a bass management feature in CE775? Do I need to adjust bass on the receiver?
    Software:
    I have a small collection of Redbook CDs (around 200). 85% are classical, 10% pop, 5% jazz. I would appreciate your suggestion on getting some SACDs. I do not mind getting SACD that duplicates the content of Redbook CD as long as it is noticeably better. My favorite composers are Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart, and Tchaikovsky.
    Could you please recommend your top 5 classical (David mentioned Four Seasons; Which Goldberg variatin is better? I have Gould's 55 and 81)?
    Top 5 pop SACDs(Stranger sounds really nice in CC)?
    top 5 Jazz SACDs, some female vocal please (How good is the SACD version of Mile Stone comparing to Redbook version)?
    I will buy most SACDs online, maybe some from BB. Please also recommend a good store (amazon? tower?).
    Please forgive me for my excitement, sorry about some many questions. :b
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    Kevin

2. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Yes you need 6 audio cables for the analog connection. Your CD output could use the two channel, the digital connection. If you use the two channel cables then you'll use the DAC's in the player, use a digital connection to use the DAC's in your receiver. Not sure if CD would also use the 6 channel out.

3. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Kevin, the CE775 includes six (cheap) audio cables, so you can hook up the player for multi-channel playback right out of the box.

You will need an additional set of audio cables to hook up the player for two-channel SACD playback, which can also be used for standard CD playback. The optical connection is for standard CD playback only.

4. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

5. David Lawson

David Lawson
    Anthony, thanks for the clarification. That is in the manual; I must have only remembered the first note in that section, which tells you to also connect the ANALOG 2CH OUT jacks so that you can listen to CDs through your receiver's separate CD input, something that apparently isn't necessary.
    Or is it? KeithH? [​IMG]

6. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

You could use the 5.1 outputs for all listening - multich SACD, 2 ch SACD, and redbook CD. Note that the unit will not do bass mgmt for redbook CD, so if this is important to the final sound, you may need to use an additional connection (either 2 ch analog out or digital out), depending on the capabilities of your receiver relative to invoking bass mgmt on each input. In general, it would probably be better to go out digital from the Sony unit to avoid an additional D->A and A->D conversion, assuming you want bass mgmt for redbook.

Doug

7. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I had to also use the 2 channel output because with I found with Multi outputs used only...some of my Denon 3300 Recievers functions didn't work like the 5 Channel Sound option (which I like very much). I like to be able to put on a Stereo cd and then use the 5 Channel function to create a wider Soundfield (kind of like Surround Sound but the 2 rear speakers are in stereo also along with the Fronts). Sounds very nice!

If you don't use your Recievers DSP's then just using the 6 analog cables from the 775 works fine.

Get the James Talyor SACD's "JT" and "Hourglass" both sound wonderful.
    Also the Miles Davis SACD "KInd Of Blue".

8. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I wasn't to thrilled with Kind of Blue...it was OK, I wouldn't use it to show of the system..[​IMG]

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, Kind of Blue isn't a reference-quality SACD in my opinion, but it is the better than the remastered CD. I don't have the Sony MasterSound gold CD for comparison, but I figure the standard remastered CD is at least very similar, as both were remastered using the SBM process.

10. KevinQ

KevinQ Stunt Coordinator

Thanks everybody for your input. Now I know how to deal with the hardware. Some experiments will be fun.

Just checked amazon.com and tower.com, the price of SACD from these stores isn't noticeabley cheaper than B&M. I think I will start pick up SACDs from there, though BB here has a limited selection (about 50) of SACDs.

More help on the software is highly appreciated.

11. KevinQ

KevinQ Stunt Coordinator

I am quite confused about which version to buy. For example, there is at least three Four Season, one by Issac Stern, one by Massimo Quarta, one from SONY. There are several Goldberg Variations, one from Gould's 81 version, a new one by Murray Perahia.

Is there a good website to check SACD reviews? Any good online stores?

Thanks.

12. KevinQ

KevinQ Stunt Coordinator

I will use the stock cables for SACD, a AR optical cable for redbook, and save the 2 channel out for my headphone amplifer and HD600.

A question for your SACD pioneers, what is/are your reference demo SACDs?

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

14. KevinQ

KevinQ Stunt Coordinator

Keith. Thanks for the links.
    I just noticed that you have 76 SACDs. If you do not mind, let's assume you are allowed (assumption, of course) to keep five of them, which five are the keepers? [​IMG]

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, ooh, tough question. Hmmm.... On the one hand, I could make selections based strictly on the music, thereby not considering sound quality. On the other hand, I could go for five that give me music I enjoy coupled with excellent sound quality relative to the corresponding CDs. I would have to go with the latter as my selection criterion. Some SACDs I own represent some of my favorite music, such as Boston Boston and classic Billy Joel titles. However, these SACDs do not offer what I consider to be a marked improvement in sound quality over the corresponding CDs. The SACDs sound better, but not an order of magnitude better. As a result, I will stick with the CDs of these titles and pick five other SACDs. In any event, here are my five, considering the music and sound quality (in no particular order):
    1) The Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1964-1971 (ABCKO): Simply put, it blows away the 1986 ABCKO CD version. Of course, so does the CD layer on the SACD release. The SACD layer is much better than the CD layer, though. Do I really have to comment on the music? [​IMG]
    2) The Sopranos: Peppers & Eggs (Sony): I have this title on CD, and the CD sounds quite good. However, the SACD is wonderful. This title offers a great variety of music, and the Police/Henry Mancini, Nils Lofgren, Kasey Chambers, and Frank Sinatra tracks make the SACD a must-have.
    3) James Taylor Hourglass (Sony): The CD of this title sounds good, but the SACD is on another level. The music is by and large mellow and smooth, which is nice, but "Gaia" is an incredibly moving experience on SACD. If "Gaia" were the only track on the SACD, it would still be a must-have for me.
    4) Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble Couldn't Stand the Weather (Sony): A wonderful album from beginning to end on an SACD that makes Vaughan sound like he is in the room. The SACD sounds incredibly life-like. It is three-dimensional, layered, and palpable. Just plain great.
    5) WHAM! Make It Big (Sony, Japanese import): While the sound on this SACD is not quite what I would consider to be reference-quality, it easily beats my US, UK, and Japanese versions on CD. The first time I heard "Careless Whisper" on SACD, I nearly fell on the floor in disbelief. Here is an album I had heard a bazillion times since 1984, but I had never heard it like this. Sound quality aside, the music has sentimental value. It reminds me of my freshman year in high school. Sure, much of the music is goofy, but to my mind, it is quintessential pop.

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

17. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

19. David Lawson

David Lawson

20. KevinQ

KevinQ Stunt Coordinator

Keith and Mike, thanks for the recommendation. I will print a list of these to storm local BB and CC.
    I have Gould's 55 and 81 Goldberg Variations and the DVD. So I really like Gould's interpretation. But Gould's did not perfrom the entire work as far as I know. I might just try Murray Perahia's SACD. I myself do not particularly enjoy period instruments, so I will probably pass the Requiem.
    Besides, I have couple of pure DSD SACDs (according to www.elusivedisc.com )in my mind:
    1. DESACDM3280 VIVALDI/THE FOUR SEASONS M-CH/2-CH SACD
    2. DESACDM0002 MAHLER/SYMPHONY #1 M-CH/2-CH SACD, by Michael Tilson Thomas
    3. TELSA60056 CARL ORFF/CARMINA BURANA SACD by Robert Shaw
    4. TELSAM60575 ORFF/CARMINA BURANA M-CH/2-CH SACD by Donald Runnicles
    (Which one is better sound quality wise? It seems SONY's version is not very good)
    5. RRMSACD01 MARK LEVINSON/LIVE RECORDINGS VOLUME I SACD
    Any recommendations/objections are highly appreciated.