What's new

SACD List of Upcoming Titles to get excited about! (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Two big lists of releases and no Nickel Creek. I thought they were having a couple SACD releases this year?

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Evan,

Sugar Hill's schedule for April at this time is:

Nickel Creek This Side - Hybrid - M/C
Nickel Creek Nickel Creek - Hybrid - M/C
Dolly Parton Little Sparrow Hybrid - M/C
Dolly Parton Halos and Horns Hybrid - M/C

Courtesy of Brian's Site:

Link Removed

and for those intersted, my site is the companion site for stereo releases:

http://www.geocities.com/emilsjr

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Rich- Thanks! HTF rocks. Of course, we already knew that... :D

Beef: I want Amazon to update their search algorythm to lump SACDs and DVD-A's in with CDs when I do a generic search in the "music" database. Someday I'll get motivated and pester them... (I think DVD-A's at least only come up in the DVD database.)

I hope the Allman Bros Fillmore East is the longer "The Fillmore Concerts"...

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
DOH!!! Why can't Chesky do it right and release The New York Girls' Club and The Four Mary's on SACD instead of a compilation?! I will NOT be buying this! :angry:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Justin,

I am actually excited that Retrospective will be a compilation. At least I get some of my favorites from other albums on SACD. My only concern is that Chesky will check Pidgeon off their SACD release list once the compilation is out.

Rich,

Thanks for sharing the list. Artists that excite me include:

* Bob Dylan
* Oasis
* John Coltrane
* Rebecca Pidgeon
* Deep Purple
* Norah Jones
* Cassandra Wilson (I have none of her CDs, so I am going by reputation here.)
* Pink Floyd
* Aerosmith
* Peter Gabriel
* Alison Krauss
* Steely Dan
* Miles Davis (Bitches Brew!)

Aw, heck, it's all good! We are going to be mighty poor, but mighty happy! :D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
* Cassandra Wilson (I have none of her CDs, so I am going by reputation here.)
It's certainly one of my most anticipated titles, and I really hope you like it! It's a great recording to begin with, so it should sound really sweet on SACD. Cassandra's got more of a "pure jazz" background than some of her contemporaries, certainly moreso than Norah, but also Krall. But she's no golden age throwback. She covers the waterfront. "New Moon Daughter" starts off with a stripped stark and haunting version of "Strange Fruit", and proceeds through songs by composers as diverse as Hoagy Carmichael, Neil Young... and The Monkees of all people! (No shit, her version of "Last Train to Clarksville" is one of my favorites on this record.)

Thanks Emil for the new additions! I'll update the list a bit later, and start sorting out which are hybrids and which include multichannel mixes.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
My concern with The Kinks is that I hear Ray Davies doesn't allow the original masters out of his studio. I also think the earlier albums like 'Arthur', 'Village Green', and 'Something Else' are the crucial material.
I definitely agree with you about the 'crucial material' (I'd add Muswell Hillbillies and Lola to that list). But 'Everybody's in Showbiz' seems close enough to their classic era, and since I haven't recently bought the remastered version - actually, I don't even have it on CD - this one may be worthwhile.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Aaarrgh! I just read somewhere that the Kinks SACDs will have no bonus tracks.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Great list Rich, a couple more from S. Hoffman with no dates yet:

Eva Cassidys' Songbird
Mary Black No Frontiers
Everly Bros

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
We can all 'Hoot & Holler' till the cow's come home on which is "better", DVD-A or SACD.
However, if this list is 'ANY' indication of titles on SACD, then Sony wins.
Well, done.
I alway's [well, since 98 anyway] thought, DSotM would be one of the titles that tipped the scales and Sony put their money were their money was, and 'captured' the 'Money' on 'The Dark Side' of Hi-Rez.
Add Nora Jones, and it's over!
DVD-A will 'survive'.
But I wanted Hi-Rez too be a populist format , not a niche market.
Sony's going for 'everyone', therefore, we 'all' win. Congrats!
Just wish more of the titles were Hybird.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, thanks for the comments on Cassandra Wilson. I recently got a friend to join the BMG record club, and one of the free CDs I am looking to get in return is New Moon Daughter. I know the SACD is coming out, but I like to have the standard CDs anyway, and it's free. Hopefully I'll get it or the SACD soon.

Michael_T

Second Unit
Just a note that both Oasis "(What's The Story)Morning Glory" and Johnny Cash "Silver" have been released and will probably be in most of the ususal places on Tuesday 3/11/03.

I was able to pick up both and will be listening sometime today.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
In addition to the titles Michael mentioned, these will also be out on 3/11/03: Soundtrack "A Chorus Line" and Bernstein "Nutcracker Suite". Received these and the Oasis disc today.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Emil, Michael has shared his thoughts of the Oasis SACD in a separate thread here, and it looks to be a loser. What do you think of it?

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Keith,

I am afraid family is in town so I will not get a chance to give a serious listen to the Oasis disc until tomorrow at the earliest. I did take a quick listen to "Wonderwall" in m/c and have to say I was a bit underwhelmed. I will post more when I can.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Emil, fair enough. Thanks for sharing the first impression. I look forward to your thoughts when your schedule allows you to dig deep. :)

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
I know this is a Rock and Jazz music lovers thread when I hardly see any classical listed, but to let you know a huge amount of classical is coming out in the coming months too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks