sacd is getting me down.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin George, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Kevin George

Kevin George Stunt Coordinator

hi ht'ers
    i absolutely love the sound of sacd. the disk i have so far are celine dion, and mariah carey #1's, i also have a couple of sampler disk with a variety of material on them.
    here's the problem though....
    im into a lot of contemporary stuff and my musical taste are very diverse...one day im listenting to alan jackson (country), and the next day perhaps, some iron maiden (metal) or little wayne (rapper with platinum teeth from down south)....you get the idea.
    the problem is that im not really seeing this stuff on sacd. in my opinion i see a lot of random stuff that im just not that familiar with.
    sound quality is important to me, that's why i got into sacd, but this is frustrating.
    do any of you sacd experts here no what's in store down the road. are we going to start to get more contemporary material on sacd. will new releases start to appear on sacd or will sacd continue to just release the older stuff from older artist, cyndi lauper for example.
    i dont want this to sound like im bashing sacd. i love the format and it makes my classe /sherbourn system sound sweeter than ever, but im getting dissapointed every time i check on the internet for new realeses and only see stuff ive never heard.
    lastely, some sacds that i would sell my mother for...jk....
    anything from metallica, iron maiden, heart, led zep, floyd, incubus, scorpions, ac dc, system of a down
    garth brooks/alan jackson/travis tritt, trisha yearwood,
    some hip hop, little wayne, cmb, nas,fabulous, mary j, n b.I.G, 112, jodeci
    contemporary pop....jann arden, india arie ( how the heck to you spell this?), maddonna, alanis, janet j, nelly f
    sacd companies...there are younger listeners out here as well, im sure yo you ma or what ever it's/he's called is great (i see this sacd everywhere i go, it haunts me in my dreams) but i need some new, diverse stuff if you want me to spend more money.
    p.s sacd companies if your listening....a lot of my freinds are in the same position i am, young, good income, music lovers, nice music equipment. if you wanna make more $ appeal to a wider audience. example of what i mean...i have a sacd that came with my 555, it's called, guadeamus by sacred feast. this sacd is a recording of an amazing choir. sure the disk sounds great and life like, but how many of us are gonna break out the choir music when we have a date come over, or some freinds over to just hang out.
    p.s,p.s, for a sacd like metallica's greatist hit's i would glady pay a premium over the already higher prices of sacd material.
    i finish this thread now, as my rambling has to end sometime[​IMG]

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I was just thinking about this as I was looking through the SACD section during my lunch break (to hell with food, music is more important). DVD-A seems to be getting more rock and contemporary stuff, while SACD is getting jazz and classical. While that's great for me, as I'm more into jazz and classical and I only have a SACD player, I think it's bad for the format. If the trends continue, DVD-A will have a broader appeal, leaving SACD in the dust. SACD will remain an niche product, appealing only to music snobs and audiophiles, while DVD-A can become the dominant new music format.

If they keep releaseing SACD titles, I won't care. But if they don't make enough money, SACD will die. I wish they would release more popular stuff: not because I'll buy it, but because the income would pay for older releases.

Yo Yo Ma: amazing cello player. I am thrilled some of his performances are out on SACD, and I will definitely be picking up his music.

As far as I'm concerned, the classical titles on SACD alone are worth it. The other night, it felt like Glenn Gould was in the room with me.

3. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Your concerns are probably the concerns of many. There have been very heated discussions about this on www.audioasylum.com - sometimes everyday - regarding the lack of viable software for the SACD medium other than "audiophile" releases.
    I feel the same way you do; I have a very diverse taste in music also, and I have found quite a few SACDs I have that I love that I probably wouldn't have bought if it weren't for the SACD medium.
    I was able to discover quite a bit of new music I loved, but I have also bought discs (like the Sacred Feast disc) that sound great - but I question what my real intentions were for spending the $25. It might sound great, but in reality how many times am I really going to play the thing.
    This is the quandry many early adopters face, and you are considered an early adopter of SACD (even though it technically has been on the market for 3 years) since it is such a small niche product at the moment.
    Hopefully things will improve - be patient. And if they don't, at least you have a very good redbook CD player in the 555ES.

4. Kevin George

guys, thanks for your replies.
    i do agree that sacd should diversify it's releases or it's going to lose. some of my freinds are getting into dvd audio right now, and even though i dont have the capability right now, it's sarting to look tempting, especially when i look at the software available to the format. the best sacd i have heard still sounds better to me than the best dvd audio ive heard, but still i would consider giving my money to the dvd audio side, even if it is with a slight loss in quality, if that's where the software is at. After all, d audio is still hi rez and sounds awesome.
    hey...does anyone know why the sacd situation is what it is....what variables go into determining what gets released and when.
    lastly, a comment one of my d audio freinds made to me. he said that sacd is "like having a porsche 911 turbo in your drive way.........with no engine"
    i know that some of you will disagree with this, especially the lovers of jazz and audiophile recordings since these styles make up a mojority of the current sacd titles, but i though i would mention this because i thought it was funny and pretty much sums up my current feelings.
    dammit sacd....gimme an engine! [​IMG]

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree whole heartedly. I was in the position of buying a new CDP or SACD, and chose a regular CD because of extremely limited titles for my tastes.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I think part of the issue has to do with defining the target audience for the product. Is SACD geared to be a mass-market format, or will it be niche product? Either way is fine, but they need to make up their minds.

If they want to be a niche market, they can make a pretty penny. They'd have a strong an loyal following constantly buying their software and players.

If they want to go mass market, they need to release pop music, and create SACD players for computers, cars, and portable players.

Perhaps Sony is just feeling their way around with the marketing aspect for now.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sony, for one, appears to want both markets. They have SA players in both price categories. I'm not sure if they are feeling out the market, or looking to get more people into it early, and then expecting that they will upgrade to the more expensive players later. Especially once they have begun a collection of SACDs.

I think I will continue with the "wait and see" stance for now...I don't want this to turn into another DVD vs DIVX (I was DVD all the way), the difference being these formats should be able to co-exist more or less.

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Kevin, go buy Joe Satriani's ENGINES OF CREATION. His searing guitar will make your day, me thinks! I like jazz but there's not enough variety for me either. Best wishes!

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, I too love SACD and find myself frustrated with the lack of software. I pick up a few SACDs a month, but like everyone else, I would like to see far more. Truthfully, what I find myself doing more and more is buying most of what Sony offers, though it might not be my first choice musically. I find myself curious to hear more new stuff on SACD, so I often experiment with Sony titles. A lot of good has come from it, as I have become exposed to a number of artists that I wouldn't have had I just stuck with CDs. Over this past weekend, I bought the Mary Chapin Carpenter time*sex*love* SACD. I had heard of Carpenter before, but I have none of her CDs. It's safe to say that if this album had not been released on SACD, I still would not know of Carpenter's talent firsthand. It turns out that I really like the music, and it sounds great.

Now, not everything I have bought on SACD has been an exercise in experimentation. I have found a number of titles on SACD that I have had on CD for years. Like you, I want to see more of my favorites. The frustration is not knowing if my favorites are waiting in the wings or are never coming. We just have to stay tuned.

Given your musical interests, I will second Rachael's suggestion of Joe Satriani Engines of Creation. Satriani is a fantastic guitarist, and Engines rocks. The SACD really shines. I also have the CD, which sounds thin and uninvolving in comparison to the SACD. You might also want to pick up the Alice in Chains Greatest Hits SACD. It's another winner. A title that offers great diversity in genres is The Sopranos: Peppers & Eggs, which is a two-disc stereo SACD set. I love that set.

Michael made an excellent point. If things don't pan out with SACD (perish the thought!), you have a great CD player in the 'C555ES. I have bought three Sony ES SACD players since October 2000 and did so not only because I love SACD, but also because they are great CD players. I could not have justified the purchase of even one SACD player had it been lacking in the CD department.

NP: The Sopranos: Peppers & Eggs SACD (specifically, Frank Sinatra "Baubles, Bangles and Beads".

10. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Is Engines of Cretiona the album where Satch uses lots of techno?

11. Kevin George

rachael,
    i will definately check out engines of creation. thanks for the reccommendation.
    keith,
    the ht forum should make you the "ambassador of sacd". ive noticed that you reply to just about every sacd thread. your knowledge of sacd and it's software is appreciated by me and many more im sure. thanks!

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike,

I would characterize Engines of Creation as having a techno element. Check it out.

Kevin,

Wow, you flatter me. Thanks. :b

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, by the way, I too would like to see Metallica on SACD, but don't expect it to happen. Metallica is a Warner (Elektra) artist, and as you may know, Warner is backing DVD-Audio. In fact, Metallica Metallica ("The Black Album") is out on DVD-Audio. The DVD-Audio version is much clearer than the CD. Hearing "Enter Sandman" on DVD-Audio the first time was a revelation for me.

14. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I wonder about the likelyhood of seeing Roger Waters' Amused To Death on SACD. Sony saw fit to release it as a Columbia/Mastersound SBM gold disc long ago, which has become a reference for cd. A stereo SACD would be incredible, but I'd think Roger would jump at the chance to mix it in 5.1 given the creativity with which he used Q-Sound on this release. If I had to buy a player with only such a disc permanently installed, I might. [​IMG]