SACD inquiry

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Deschaine, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine Stunt Coordinator

Hi there everyone.

Recently I've been contemplating jumping into SACD but I have some questions regarding my current equipment. I'm curious if an SACD player will give me noticeable improvement with my Sony STR-DA777ES receiver and Klipsch KG 4.5 speakers, or do I really need to upgrade those components to hear the difference? Keep in mind also, my CD player is a Sony XA20ES.

My other option is to break out my Rotel RC-960BX pre-amp, and Proton D1200 amp out and go that route with an SACD player and get some separate speakers for music playback only. More cash but still not as bad as buying new separates.

But basically it comes down to, I don't want spend a ton of cash (except for maybe some new speakers) on new components other than the SACD player.

So, anyone have any thoughts on the matter? I appreciate any advice in advance.

Peace, Rick

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I think you will hear the differences in SACD with that modest setup without upgrading anything else. If you want to go multichannel however, make sure you have 5.1 analog inputs on your receiver or pre-amp to get the benefits as SACD does not transport in a digital domain.

I have the Sony 555ES and SACD is head and shoulders over Redbook in just about every A/B I've done. My system is far from hi end stuff and I can tell the difference immediately. Some disks are just slightly better than Redbook, some are night and day, but with all the head to heads I've done, you can always tell which is which IMO.

3. Jason Watson

Jason Watson Stunt Coordinator

Does the 777 have analog pass through? If not, the A/D to D/A conversion will rob you of the SACD benefits.

Jason

4. Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine Stunt Coordinator

Evan and Jason,

Thanks for the input. The 777ES has both analog 5.1 inputs and analog bypass. In fact when I listen to CDs, currently I make sure to listen in analog mode which is essentially the bypass mode. From what I've heard in direct comparison, the D/A converters are a lot better on the 20ES than they are on the 777ES.

It is a relief to know that I probably won't have to buy a ton of new equipment. Eventually I wan't to upgrade a lot of the system, but I'm just not ready at the moment.

And of course I would still welcome more input from anyone else.

Later, Rick

5. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Extra/extra/extra dumb, very stupid question!!!!
    What is SACD exactly?????
    I just bought the 333 and was curious![​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

7. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

8. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

9. RicP

RicP Screenwriter