SACD II....realized??

Discussion in 'Music' started by Danny Tse, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I think some of you may remember SACD II, which was rumored to have full-motion video capability in addition to what we now get from hybrid SACDs. Sounds great, right?

On the SACD of Ray Charles' "Genius Loves Company", I noticed the logo of "Enhanced CD". Personally, if I wanted to watch a video or concert footage, I go for a DVD. But on this occasion, I was interested in what "Enhanced CD" means when applied to SACD. I loaded the disc into my computer and what I got was full-motion video of interviews with Ray Charles during a photo shoot. Hey, this is not bad at all. Not too long or short, but certainly enough to keep me interested.

I check my other SACDs and it looks like the only other title with "Enhanced CD" was the Henry Mancini title from Concord Records, the same company that put out the Ray Charles SACD.

On other titles, I can see this feature used for a music video or two. Maybe other stuff like lyrics, etc. So are there any other SACDs with the "Enhanced CD" feature?

I have never seen anyone else mentioned this before, but this is quite cool.

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Danny,

The so called "Enhanced CD" has been around for quite sometime as a way for bands to offer multimedia content on standard CDs. I remember getting discs about 10 years ago labeled as Ehanced CD. The use has fallen off with the introduction of CD/DVD packages.

SA-CD II is Dualdisc. [​IMG]

J

3. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Justin, I think Danny's point was that having enhanced content on the RB layer of an SACD is new to him, and it is to me, too.

BTW, DualDisc is not SACD-II. I don't think any DualDiscs have SACD layers, but I'd love to be proven (or is it proved?) wrong.

Doug

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Justine,

This is the first time I was actually interested to access the content. One of the benefits mentioned for the rumored SACD II was video, and this "Enhanced CD" portion of the redbook CD layer can certainly provide that. So what we have here is a CD-compatible disc with full-motion video capability, plus hi-rez (and copy-protected) stereo and multi-channel playback capability. All this selling for about $15.00 at my local Best Buy....so why isn't this better than DualDisc?

5. AricB

AricB Second Unit

because you can't watch the content on a regular tv? and the quality of the video generally isnt nearly as good as what dual disc can offer(or what i'm sure they were shooting for with sacd II). If the cd is anywhere near 60-70 minutes, the quality of video is pretty bad, and usually not full screen resolution. One of the titles i can think of that had lots of it, would be Alice In Chains Jar of Flies(there was an enhanced version, not all had it) and had lots of videos, discography etc... but the cd is short allowing space for all that extra stuff.

BTW, it would make a great dvd-audio, if they incorporated all the content and menus, with a surround mix.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Doug, Justin was making a joke. [​IMG]

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Aric already pointed out why this is not as good as Dual-disc. You are limited to lower than DVD quality video, you need to use your computer for access (many computer DVD drives have problems with SA-CD to boot), and capacity is limited.

Enhanced CD is literally a 10 year old format option (if not older). Nothing to get excited about. Obviously SOny does not think this is a viable option either or they wouldn't have all but abandoned SA-CD and picked up the torch as Dual-Discs biggest supporter.

J

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Hey, I just thought of something. My Pioneer player does play video CDs. I wonder if it could play the video content of an enhanced CD? I'm thinking not, but I just realized it would be really cool if it could... "Poor man's" SACD II. [​IMG]

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Your not thinking is correct...um...that didn't come out right...anyway, it is for PC use only, the video and other content on an enhanced CD is not in the Video CD format.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I get that. But it's just another video format and a DVD player is essentially a digital video player. If you could play that material on a DVD player, ...

11. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Yes but first it would have to uncompress the compressed files after differentiating them from the other compressed files on the E-CD, it wouldn't be worth the cost to enable a DVD player to do this with such an antiquated and very uncommon format, VCD's still sell quite well in certain asian countries (among others) hence it's relatively widespread availability on many DVD players.

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I assume you're talking about the video on enhanced CDs? Roughly 5-10% of the CDs I buy are enhanced.

Video on both VCDs and DVDs is already in a compressed format. Trivial exercise to also play that "enhanced" video content. I'm surpised no one has done it by now.

13. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Right; I missed his smiley the first time! You have to get up pretty early to fool me...umm...maybe not.

Doug:b