What's new

SACD II in September. (1 Viewer)

Brian+H

Stunt Coordinator
It's over at HFR.com

I guess it's Sony and Philip's answer to the dualdisc.

I say concentrate more on bringing great titles out than looking into extra content.

I could take or leave extra content, but I want to see better more mainstream (like GBYBR) releases.
Doesn't everybody though? lol

SACD is more popular than dvd-a with out the extra content.

They need Warner's catalog and Elvis on sacd! :D

Beatles wouldn't hurt either!

Brian+H

Stunt Coordinator
It's Sony and Philips' nervous reaction to hybrid dvd-a IMO.

The ace up their sleeve.

If I were sony and Philips though, I wouldn't be too worried yet about hybrid dvd-a.

If more great titles come out on sacd, (Elvis, Beatles) that will turn a lot of people discovering these formats for the first time onto sacd.

Ultimately, it's a titles/ease of use issue.
Great titles on a format easy to use. Which ever format aces THOSE issues will eventually make it into the mainstream IMO.

Right now, sacd has the lead.
The BIG question is: What will BMG do and what will Warner music do?
No one really knows...........

btw it's interesting that BMG just released an sacd...
hmm. Maybe they'll be another Universal.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

This thread has got me scratching my head, including a reference to a very old news story.

btw it's interesting that BMG just released an sacd...Maybe they'll be another Universal.
Not sure what you mean by "another Universal". Universal originally did SACD only and have since taken up support of DVD-A as well. BMG has put out one SACD in the states, a classical title almost no one will buy. However, they have recently put out Santana Supernatural and Shaman, as well as Wyclef Jean, Elvis, and Luthor Vandross on DVD-A.

J

Brian+H

Stunt Coordinator
Well, Justin saying that if sacd gets video it no longer is an audio format is a little off I think.
That would make dvd-a a non-audio format. I think they're both audio formats and would certainly be considered that still.

Perhaps I spoke wrong by indicating I thought it was Sony's and Philip's ace. I personally couldn't care less about the extra content. I think THEY see it as a potential ace.
Maybe I should have been more clear on that.
I think the "base" of sacd is extrememly small right now.
How long they'll be pissed off is another question.
If they really strongly support sacd, I think they'll get over it soon.

If nothing else, it's a lesson not to buy technology when it's wet behind the ears, as sacd is right now.
Some people get into the technology too quickly.
Judging by how relatively new the format is, (I know its been around about 5-6 years) people have to expect looking at the original specs that the format will eventually include video content, and maybe WAIT until the players include that capability. I think that's a smart move.
IMO.

I know Elvis and the Beatles have been out on other formats for a long time, Justin. But if you think that people have heard both artists' recordings in all their glory with cd, or vinyl, think again. Sacd done well rivals vinyl without the imperfections of vinyl.
To say that we've heard all there is to hear is not really true for most (mainstream) people.

I think the race involving sacd and dvd-a is not about right now. And MP3's dominace? -- thats a given.
MP3 is THE mainstream format today, no question.
I think the dvd-a sacd contest is for the future and older audiophiles who don't actually like mp3.

I think someone at Sony said that the current gen. of younger music people are lost to mp3. I agree with that. But as they grow up and have better sources of income, they will look to better sources of audio. No one knows what source that will be but the fight is going on now. And more advances in technology are waiting to battle THESE formats.

What I mean by BMG being another Universal, maybe I didn't make myself clear agian lol. Universal is releasing both formats now. Forget what they did in the beginning.
That's what they're doing now. I was wondering if BMG would turn into another Universal: Releasing both formats which would be good.
Although I believe Universal in Europe has gone 100$ sacd.
I think, I'm not positive.

Sacd has really become big over there.
Dvd-a appears to be a money-losing venture at the moment.
I doubt though that dvd-a or sacd had much to do with the recent mergers. We here tend to talk almost solely about the hi-res formats, and lose perspective about the bigger picture.
I think the lack of success of the hi-res formats has little to do with the mergers, certainly in Warners case.
I think they will be dvd-a's biggest supporter for the forseeable future. IMO.

Hi-res is an insignificant factor right now to billion dollar conglomerates. That doesn't drive their decisions.
That's just my thinking tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks