SACD Future

Discussion in 'Music' started by John Berggren, Oct 8, 2003.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Now that I have an SACD player (the Pioneer DVD hybrid player) I've started picking up SACDs here and there. It's starting to get to me that new releases of music don't generally have some sort of SACD (or DVD-A) counterpart. I've actually held off on buying some new CDs (Bette Midler, Dido, etc) in hopes of an eventual hi-rez announcement.

I feel much like I did when I started in on DVD - why should I buy VHS anymore if I'm just going to want to replace it when the DVD comes out?

How are you all dealling with this feeling.. if you have it at all? Don't you think all new releases should have an SACD/CD hybrid option?

Also, does anyone know of a site where I can search a list of currently available SACD titles, and future releases?

Thanks in advance.

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

4. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

I agree with you. I am holding out on buying the new John Mayer disc because I don't want to buy it again when it comes out on SACD. If it's an artist who isn't likely to have a high-rez release, then I don't worry about it. I have to stretch my $$$ as far as possible, I can't buy 10 albums a week like some of the people who post here (not referencing anyone in particular).

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    John, I'm with you. I will hardly buy CD's. If I do I usually pick up used ones. I have little respect for the format! I just got David Sanborn's TIMEAGAIN, no way was I gonna buy the CD that came out several months ago. As far as I'm concerned garden variety CD's are passe.

Mike, I entirely disaggree that SACD should be a niche format. It's become that because Sony has made the wrong marketing discision at nearly every turn. I think Sony has so poisoned the market with single-layer discs that it's might be too late at this point. I was in a Local joint, the Disc Exchange, the other day and they had the new Sting hybrid in stock. However, it had a hand-written note on it that said it would only play in SACD players. This kind of confussion is entirely Sony & Philips' fault for ever letting single-layer discs occur.

Hybrid discs should be the natural progression of an improved product that offers more value and attracts more buyers. But, this is the Muszuk Industry who thinks that serving crumbs in place of bread is how to condition the market.[​IMG]

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I think the issue comes down to- do CDs need to be improved for mass releases? I would argue the answer is no. I hold to the position that CDs sound fine and even great, provided they are mastered well (granted, this is a big provision).

SACD merely provides an even better sound, a quality that only caters to audiophiles and hardcore music fans.

CD is passe only to some of us who are into this stuff. High-res and audiophile make up a teeny-tine portion of music retail. CD is still, and for the foreseeable future, shall remain the de facto music format.

And once you start going outside of mainstream music, high-res is a non-issue. You can wait for the new Spock's Beard album to come out on SACD 'till you're blue in the face, but ain't gonna happen.

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Lee, you announced Terre Haute had all this capacity in another thread this week. Que???

I'm sorry Lee but Sony has earned it's format the reputation of the format that won't play in "normal" players with the bleeding single-layer discs. When retailers are putting notes on the silly things and themselves CANNOT get the difference between hybrid and single-layer right, their marketing has failed. Single-layeredness is, was, and always will be an obstacle to the format!!!!

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I have been holding off on buying Michael McDonald's "Motown" knowing that a SACD is coming. While I wish every new release has a high-rez counterpart, I know that will never happen. I just wish that the music companies will announce whether a high-rez version will be available, if at all.

To the general public, CD is more than acceptable, even when badly mastered. Most people have no idea, or don't care enough, what good mastering can do to a recording. Especially in these days of internet downloading and iTunes. SACD (and DVD-A) will, in my opinion, forever be udiophile formats. Multi-channel music is just not as appealing, to the general public again, as surround sound movie viewing at home.

Whenever I go to Best Buy to check out their SACD and DVD-A section, I always feel sooooo lonely....

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Lee, it's not a new format anymore. I've had a player for near 5 years. Why can't U say, " Sony *ucked up"? Does that pain you?