What's new

SACD, DVD-A vs Neo 6 ? (1 Viewer)

JeffKC

Grip
I have just picked up a new receiver ..it has the Neo 6 surround...which to my understanding will take mono,stereo etc. and simulate a 5.1 surround..why would I need to hook up the analog output for sacd if neo 6 will give me the same sound, or does it? This is a new format for me...I have played DVD-A and sacd discs without the six channel analog outs hooked up...If I remember I hooked up an optical,coaxial and left and right analog outs to the older Kenwood Vr-3090...the sound from the DVD-A was great..the sound from the sacd was great...I did have a Peter Gabriel sacd that would not play..all in a Pioneer DV 356a......Are there just some sacd's that will play back in stereo mode..and if so are they the dual layer type?

thanks for setting me straight

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I can't imagine any DSP sounding better than outright high rez audio like SACD or DVD-A, barring poorly engineered discs or botched connections.

I'd use the DSP for everything you want EXCEPT SACD or DVD-A or movies, obviously.

Dual layer SACD's will only play normal, redbook CD to you. No high rez whatsoever.

DVD-A's can be done in two channel, but it will not be "true DVD-A." Not sure why anyone would do this, but some like to try.

You're not getting true high rez unless you're using the multichannel analogs. Or Ilink or something like that. You NEED the analogs for true high rez.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
unless your equipment has a firewire, D-link, iLink, or other fancy digital connection (NOT digi coax or toslink), then the ONLY way to listen to the hirez tracks on sacds or dvdas is via the analog connection. PERIOD.

if you've never done that, then you've never listened to high-resolution music.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
I have the same player you have. Trust me. Hook up all six analog outputs to your recievers analog inputs and listen again. You'll be blown away. If you were hooked up digitally then you were catching the redbook portion of an SACD I would imagine and the DD5.1 on the DVD-A. Many discs have both formats. Enjoy.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

Actually, the hi-rez signal is not allowed to be sent through any digital connection. It only goes through the analog connections. I don't think anything would go through a digital connection, would it? I haven't tried it.

Doug

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

As noted, these are not "normal" digital connections, they are proprietary to a particular manufacturer, such as Pioneer or Denon, and you have to have a player and receiver both capable of their type of connection.

You will not get the hirez tracks using a standard optical or coaxial digital connection. With DVD-A, you will get sound, but it will not be the DVD-A track, it will be DVD-V DD/DTS. With SACD, if it is a hybrid disc, you will get the CD layer, not the SACD layer.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
John Garcia says:

How? It can't focus on CD and SA-CD physical layers simultaneously and the disc will be detected as an SA-CD disc.

You'll get no digital output from S/PDIF unless you have a specially modified player.

Cheers,

JeffKC

Grip
Much appreciated Gentelmen...I have a new set of 5.1 analog cables in hand...also a new DVI to HDMI...things are lookin' up.....

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

In either case, this is assuming you switch the player to the appropriate mode to get sound via the standard digital connection. Since he is getting sound via digital that can be processed by DSPs, he must be listening to the CD layer for SACDs...

For DVD-A on my universal, set to Audio mode, I do not get downmixed tracks via digital, AFAIK (I'm not sure I've ever even checked this). It defaults to M/C DVD-A and I have to go into the disc's menu to select the stereo track because I only have one set of inputs so I use stereo only from the DVD.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
John,

Downmixed digital output from all of the following players I've tested, here are some of them:
  1. Kenwood DV-5700
  2. Onkyo DV-S959
  3. Toshiba SD-5700
  4. Meridian 598DP
  5. Marantz DV-8400
  6. Pioneer DV-59AVi
  7. Meridian G91
  8. Denon DVD-5900
  9. Toshiba SD-4700

You say you haven't tested this. I do on every player I work with. I only report it when it doesn't work properly.

Regards,

Steve_AS

Second Unit

Not true, see above. You can get the 'hi rez' stereo mix using the two-channel analog out of many players, as well as the L/R analog out of the mulitchannel output panel.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
I have a related question -- if passed *digitally* through ilink, can a two-channel SACD or DVD-A mix be processed by
DPL II in such receivers as Pioneers' TXi line? (I know from experience that they can, as expected, apply DPL II to *analog* two-channel SACD or DVD-A input, but I don't yet have an ilink player, so I can't test what happens with that.).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks