SACD /DVD-A player with audio pass through?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Grant B, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Grant B

Grant B Producer

It dawned on me today while walking the dogs that a player would only need a 6 channel audio pass through if a older preamp did not have a 6 channel input. Does anyone know if any players have such a feature?
    I sort of gave up on SACD because I have no intentions on upgrading my premap ....but I now see hope (maybe?)

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Grant, que? I don't follow. You can play all SACD's and some DVD-A's in stereo. You can always go M/C later. So far as SACD goes day in and day out I do more listening in stereo myself. M/C is fun but more novel, for me.[​IMG]

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

That's true but I feel like I am only getting half the effect.
    The stereo version might be the better but I want to be able to listen to the 6 channel version if I want to.
    So hows the new digs?
    Happy you went through the pain of a new house?
    Grant

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    "Eddie are you kidding" ??? Yeah, casa neuevo is really nice digs. I got my HT in full swing and I'm adding D-VHS.

Back to SACD, many of the very best discs are stereo only anyway. The Mobile Fidelity discs are nearly all just stereo, I think they did M/C on a classical disc recently...? The Audio Fidelity discs are all stereo and several of them are really awesome, Zombies, Cal Tjada, ect. ...and cheap too!

When you do M/C music you will proably find some mixes that will drive you towards the stereo for that title. On the other hand, there are some righteous M/C mixes out there. The mixers seem to have gotten some better than just a few years ago, mostly. Go ahead and get it for stereo now. Start collecting some discs. An awful high percentage of new titles are M/C and that's gonna be the trend from now on. I can't decide if I like Spyra Gyro's ORIGINAL CINEMA in stereo or M/C better. It's awesome either way. I'm just saying there is plenty of worthwhile stereo content out thar. The Kinks and Aimee Mann are bitchin' on stereo MSF, as are their other new hybrid releases.

Everything ain't gonna be 5.1, really 5.0, anyway. Didn't Sony and somebody else have outboard pre's for SACD & DVD-A, yes. Maybe you should look into that. The Sony was a ???9000ES thang, not to be confused with the full-size ???9000ES pre which you could use it with. I'd just do stereo SACD till you need a new pre because when that day comes you will have what ya need, and the stuff to listen to on it. Happy holidays! [​IMG]

5. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

The Sony was a TA-P9000ES...

Multichannel preamp for those without...

Ebay or audiogon if you can find it.

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

John
    Thanks, but I've given up on the TAP; last one one ebay started at $900 (retail was $700).
    This thread was to see if there was an alternative

7. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

There are alternatives but they are expensive:

McCormick - I think aroung $2000 (very good review. I think it was on the SoundStage or related site)
    Accuphase - very expensive
    Bel Canto Pre-6- $3800 (Excellent reviews)

There are a few others but I can't remember the companies.

8. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I guess that's why people pay so much for the TAP....it's a steal compared to those.
    The stereo store that I usually haunt actually had one on display - Sony accidently shipped them one. I tried to get them to come down a bit in price without success. When I went back prepared to pay full retail it was gone.
    I am still kicking myself on that one.